Sig Blazer R93......

MOLEXEY

Anyone here have any experience with this rifle in .308. Is it $2000 worth in the accuracy dept.

Thanks,

Martin

Yes it is worth the money. As a matter of fact it is worth more than the asking price. Accuracy is excellent and the gun comes with a two pound trigger pull. I have seven different barrels for mine and they all shoot great.

M16,

Please post or email some opinions and your experience (s) with the R93! I am thinking about investing in the Blaser R93 system.

I read the ST and NRA reviews and have visited the web site.

What are the pros and cons ?

------------------
Sensop

"Get your mind right and the body will follow." - Shino Takazawa, sinsei, hachi dan, Keishinkan do.
Sensop's Corner

Here are the reasons why I think the Blaser is the ultimate rifle system. I have one synthetic model and one classic model. It is easy to change scopes from one barrel to another with the saddle mounts. Having seven different calibers sometimes I like to change the scope depending on the hunt. Just loosen two allen screws and move it to another barrel. Of course if you do this you have to re-sight the gun. If you just want to switch barrels the gun stays sighted in due to the scope being mounted on the barrel not the action.
When I ordered the two guns I bought one in a magnum caliber and one in a standard caliber. With the Blaser system to change from a magnum to a standard caliber you just flip a little lever, pull off the bolt head, slide in the standard bolt head and flip the lever back.
Trigger pull straight from the factory on my guns are a crisp two pounds. Wouldn't that be nice if all rifles came with a two or three pound pull.
The rifle is very safe and you can carry it with a round in the chamber. When you engage the safety you actually decock the rifle. You don't cock the rifle until you bring it up to shoot. One big advantage to the system is that even though you change calibers you still have the same trigger pull and the same stock. The old saying about beware of the man who only owns one gun for he knows how to use it could take a new twist with the Blaser. Beware of the man who owns a Blaser with a multitude of barrels because he probably knows how to use them all.
Blasers are shorter than most bolt actions due to the bolt locking directly into the barrel. You could say that it doesn't have an action. I think that the bolt locking inside the barrel is one reason for the excellent accuracy. One reason is that there is no action to flex upon firing. Another reason is probably due to the 360 degree lockup instead of the normal two locking lugs.
Since there basically is no action the Blasers tend to be lighter in weight than most bolt actions. A 26 inch barrel does not get in the way like it does on a bolt action. The straight pull bolt is very fast to operate.
The things I don't like about the Blasers the most are that I used to enjoy browsing all the gunshops in search of the ultimate rifle. Now unfortunately I have found it. Handloads have to be well tailored as you do not have the camming that you have with the bolt actions. Some people have complained about the synthetic stock as being hollow but i haven't had any problems with mine.
Blaser also makes a single shot version that to my knowledge hasn't been marketed in the U.S. Also I have heard that they are going to introduce a turnbolt version of the R93 this year. I wonder if the barrels will interchange between the two versions?
Anyhow sorry about the long post but I have probably left something out so if you have other questions post them and I will try to answer them.

There Blasers have been around for probably 15 or 20 years. Autumn Sales out of Dallas was the exclusive importer until Sig Sauer bought Blaser. They were difficult to get due to the fact that they sold just about all that they could produce to the European market. Whatever they had some leftover they shipped them to the U.S.

I've had a Blaser R93 for a couple years, and I second everything that M16 said.

The rifle is awesome. I have a 7mm RM and a .308 barrel, both with their own Swarovski scopes. The whole deal travels nicely in its own case with all the necessary parts and some ammo to boot!

The bolt face and magazine insert need to be changed between my two calibers becasue one if a magnum and one standard, but you could buy several barrels for either of the two bolt faces if you were on a tighter budget or wanted barrel switching to be simpler.

In fact, what M16 said is very close to being true, but rather than not having an "action" the weapon actually has no reciever....
The action slides onto the top of an open base where the magazine insert goes. The barrel is then attached to the bedding in the stock just in front of the action. The chamber is not part of a reciever, it is actually part of the barrel, so short of destorying the barrel, there is no place for inconsistency from round to round, over the life of the rifle... no mnatter how many times you disassemble it, the relationship between the round, the chamber, the barrel, the muzzle and the scope (with the proper Blaser mounts) will never change!

Rich L. has a tactical version in .308 and he has always impressed everyone when he's taking it to the range or to a shcool.

Futo-

The tactical version is only available in .223 and .308 right now.

The one complaint I have heard about the Blaser is that the old synthetic stock sucked. Mine is wood, so I wouldn't know. Apparently, Blaser is now using a new kind of synthetic stock for 2000, so the number one most popular complain about Blaser (besides the price) has been fixed!

One thing that I didn't care for was the case that you can order for your Blaser. I ran into the gentleman that owns Autumn Sales at a hunting show in Houston. He showed me a case that he has made to his specs that is just out of this world. It is made by Americase and looks like a trombone carrying case. It has room for a stock, bolt, extra magazines, and will hold three scoped barrels. I gave him the cash and had him ship me one. People never suspect you are carrying a gun in this case. It is great for airline travel. If you have a Blaser and extra barrels you really should take a look at this case. Phone number for Autumn Sales is 817-335-1634.

[This message has been edited by M16 (edited February 26, 2000).]

Well the price is a real friggin' show stopper right now, but this has got me thinking about selling some rifles.

BTW, the web page doesn't show a "Tactical" model. It shows a Long Range Sporter (LRS2) chambered for the .308, 300 Win Mag and the .338 Lapua Mag. I haven't seen their tactical rifle.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited February 26, 2000).]

Retail price for the synthetic is around 1500 dollars. Base and rings run about 200. When I bought mine I paid the dealer 200 dollars to order 2 rifles and 5 extra barrels with rings and mounts. Wholesale is around 1250 for the synthetic, 400 per barrel, and 156 for base and ring combo. If you want one go to a dealer with cash in hand and have him place an order for you. I paid my dealer up front and all he had to do was make a phone call. Some dealers will deal and some won't. Just keep looking until you find one who will.

Back