Sig 239 or USPc

Seminole1986

Birthday's next month. Looking at either Sig 239 or USPc. Weapon will be principal CCW, used primarily in pubic pouch. B/c of this, I would use the Sig w/Saf-T-Block or the USP w/the safety engaged.

Any comments on the two?

I have a 239 in .40 and a USP 45 compact. I've been told that the USP compacts in 9 and .40 are smaller than the .45. The .45 is not very compact -- it's still a big gun. The SA trigger on the USP is decent. The DA trigger is horrendous. I like the fact that the USP can be carried cocked and locked.

The 239 has a better trigger, both in DA and SA. The slide-stop on the 239 is the control at the rear of the gun. I don't like that because it is different from other guns. The 239 feels top heavy in my hand, and the bore is relatively high on the gun, giving more muzzle rise. The 239 is certainly accurate. It's also thinner than the USP. I think the USP would be rather large to be carried as you intend.

Personally, I prefer my Kahr K40 to either the 239 or the USP, since it is thinner and thus easier to conceal. YMMV.

M1911

Thanks. Thought about the Kahr but don't like DAO. Please keept comments coming.

Also: I'd appreciate suggestions of any other models.

Huge difference in size. P239 is much smaller but has slightly lower capacity (though 7+1 would not make me nervous).

--Begin my sure-to-be-flamed defense of the HK trigger--

SIG DA trigger is better. I rate them about the same SA.

BUT the criticisms of HK's DA trigger are, in my opinion, exagerrated. It's not as smooth as the SIG, but it's certainly usable and not a real detriment to accuracy. I don't hear people comment much on trigger reset, but the HK's reset feels better to me. I personally think the reset on a SIG is too long after the first shot. Practice fixes almost everything, but I have to concentrate on not short-stroking when I shoot my buddy's P239. YMMV.

And, FWIW, I learned DA trigger pull on a S&W 686. As far as I'm concerned, pretty much ALL DA autopistol triggers suck. So there. :)

The cocked-and-locked option of the HK is also nice. In fact, I'm surprised more 1911 fans don't flock to it for this reason. Maybe it's too thick? Maybe it's too plastic?

--End HK trigger defense--

If concealability is a high priority (especially in a pouch), then the SIG definitely has the advantage.

First of all happy birthday, my birthday is coming up too, and those are two of the 3 guns on my list too. I say either is good, but if you plan on carrying in a pubic pouch, I would go with the usp since it has safety to keep from blowing off Capt Winkie and his two nutty buddies.

No experience with the HK, but have owned 239. Reliable, accurate, sweet shooting, but not for large hands.

I tried the 239 SIG, the HK USP Compact and the Kahr K9, and went back to the SIG. It suits me better than any of the others, smaller and thinner than the USP, but big enough to shoot well. No rust problems, 100% reliable and very accurate. The USP Compact is a fine pistol, thinner than the standard USP but a little too thick for me in the grip. The 239 is a very comfortable pistol to carry and shoot.
Regards,
JB

You have selected two excellent pistols but my vote for concealed carry is the Sig P239. I have one in .357 Sig and am extremely pleased. If you do opt for the Sig add a set of Hogue Monogrips. They really aid in controlling the pistol.
Have you selected a caliber? This may be a major factor in the selection as well.
Happy Birthday and Take Care

Caliber: probably 9mm. 357 would be my next choice. Leaning toward the 9 b/c ammo is cheaper and more readily available. Also, control should be better in order to place the second and third shots w/more accuracy.

The USP is a good gun, but the P239 is a better weapon in all aspects. It's more compact, easier to conceal, and has a much better grip when fitted with Hogues. In addition, it is more accurate and costs less, and it's available in three different calibers--two of which are interchangeable. I have nothing against the USPc, but the SIG is in a class of its own as far as classic SA/DA compacts go.

USPc is really more comparable to SIG P229 (or P228) than P239, particularly in size and capacity.

USPc is more durable and has a more flexible safety/decocker arrangement than the SIGs. As others pointed out already, it can be carried "cocked and locked."

SIGs have much smoother triggers and, in my limited experience, slightly better accuracy. However, the disparity in "feel" between the DA and SA trigger is significant. P239 is also thinner and smaller than USPc, though in grip circumference and trigger reach there is little difference despite the higher capacity of the USPc magazines.

Skorzeny

Back