Sig 239 experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bell

Guys,

I have been noticing a lot of trade-in 239's at my local gun-shop. The guy swears the 239s are perfect (he swears all the guns he sells are perfect, from Lorcin to Glock to HK.)I wonder why these guns are unpopular? My experience with a Sig 228 that I owned about 6 years back was that it was accurate, reliable and nice to shoot but so-so as far as durability. One of the pins started coming out of the side of the gun. I sold that gun fast after that (although Sig said they would fix it).
Anyway, from the way they are constructed it doesn't look like the 239 will have any problems like my 228 did. I like the idea behind the gun--thin, concealable and availible in 40/357sig. I am a little weary of the barrel though, 3.6(?) seems a little stubby. The P7 is the gun I judge other guns by but it simply isn't availible in 40 (except for the now discontinued, and unwieldy, M10). I tried a Usp40c but it was too chunky and not really all that compact. Tell me, is the 239 a good buy? I can get em' in the 400's around here.

Greg

The P-239 I had, and every one I've seen or handled, was a class act: Sig quality, accurate, easy to strip, reliable.

After using mine for a while, it slowly dawned on me that it just wasn't large enough for my large hand. I tried Hogue grips, which helped a bit. I eventually traded it in on a Sig P-220.

Great gun, if it fits. Be sure to try one before you buy.

Greg , I have 2 - Sig 239's in 9mm and love them . They are the most accurate Sigs that I have owned [226,228,225]. I have never had a malfunction with either of them and everyone that shoots them comments on their accuracy . I have small hands so they fit me well and the conceal very easily . In my oppinion they are the best out there right now . I shoot Federal 9BPLE 115 +P+ in them and do not feel undergunned . JMHO . Good luck , Mike...

Greg,
I onw one in .357 SIG and it is a great little gun. One thing is that it is not all that much smaller than my P229. Sure the grip is thinner, but the overall dimensions are not the much smaller. I think also that people are being fickle. There are alot of other mini guns on the market now (most noteably the P245, G36, and USP compacts)and people maybe trading in for something new. I too have considered selling my 239 for a USPc in .357 SIG or maybe a .45, but that is me just wanting to try something new.
The 239 is very high quality, and my only real complaint is the blackend stainless finish, which to tell the truth has not given me any trouble to date. It is a 7 shot reasonably compact powerhouse, IMO.
And yes it is very accurate.

Ditto on what everyone said about the usual SIG quality for the P239. Reliability has been the keyword for mine. It will eat everything I have ever fed it and spit it out at high speed. So it all boils down to fit because it does have a small grip. But, it fits my hand perfectly.

Mine in .40 hung up a few times in the first hundred rounds or so, which I thought was pretty un-Siglike. But since then it chews through boxes of ammo with no problem. I'm sold. Good gun.

Greg,

The pins you referred to "coming out" the side are the roll pins which hold the breechblock in the slide. It is not unusual at all for these pins to slowly work their way out the right side of the slide. The movement is very slow and occurs over time. A light tap using a roll pin punch returns the pins to where they belong.

Perhaps unfortunate, but normal for the pinned Sigs (225, 226/9mm, 228, 220).

Chris,

This gun starte dworking its pins out at about 500 rounds. By 1000, it was probably 1/6 of an inch out. Is that normal?

Greg,

That seems a little quick, but all the guns are different. I've seen guns go years without noticeable movement of the pins, and some that have to be tapped back in place after every other shooting session.

New pins would be in order, but that's no guarantee they won't start walking again.

What should I expect to pay for a 9mm 239? I've been eyeing one at my local shop for a while now. I'ts size and feel are perfect for what I'm looking for (medium-size auto that will dissappear in small of back) but my shop's price of $539 seems a bit steep (most everything around here seems over-priced these days). Should I get one at that price or keep shopping? Thanks in advance.

They were going for $439 in N. VA this spring, but apparently SIG had a price increase, as I paid $499 for mine last month. I'm still hearing of the in the low-mid $400's at gun shows, or you might try Ky Imports or Bachman Pawn & Guns (-mail me if you need the url). $539 is a bit steep. BTW, I like mine (9mm) alot - typical SIG, accurate, reliable (no burps), and easy to maintain. (Buy one a month, in VA, it's the law!)
Good luck, M2

I paid $399 for mine about 1 year ago. So I would guess that they should be in the $450 area by now on average, maybe a little higher, but I agree with Mike that $539 is too high.

Iceman,

I tried to log on to KYIMPORTS.COM and came up with some dorky studio site (Jeanne Freibert Studio). I doubled checked the address. Are you sure that is the right website?

I experienced similar wiedness, try the phone # at teh old address -http://www.ntr.net/~kyimports/index.html
maybve they can fix it. good luck, M2

OK!

Thanks for the advice on prices. I found one yesterday for $440 so I bought it. I only shot 200 rnds through it today but so far... I'm in love! At least 100 of those rounds we're crap but the 239 ate them up anyway. Way cool! Up until now, I've been compromising with (what I consider, anyway) lesser quality guns because they were the perfect size for comfortable concealment yet large enough to be formidable. If the SIG passes the 500 rnd test it will replace at least three of my carry guns. Just two questions... probably dumb ones but this is my first SIG.

Are SIG's being made in the U.S. now? I was always under the impression that they were made in Germany by SIG-Sauer under license from SIG in Switzerland. Mine has no import marks or "made in" marks and the external finish is of typically "American" quality :(.

Is there any way to shorten the length of the double action trigger pull? Mine has undoubtedly the longest (smooth... but long) DA pull of any handgun I own. I've heard reference to a custom "short" SIG trigger but I am not sure what that means.

Thanks again for the previous advice and thanks in advance for any help you can give with my other questions.

JJR the first P239s 9mms came with a short trigger. SIG received so many complaints about it that they installed the regular trigger and made that standard. I fired one with the short trigger in 9mm, and it was not to my liking. The 239 .357 I own has the regular trigger and is great! You can order a short trigger from SIG and have it installed by a qualified smith, though I think you maybe able to do it yourself.

The 239 is made in Exeter NH. I have other SIGs that are marked Exeter, NH, but also say 'Made in Germany' on the other side of teh slide.. I can't tell any difference in performance or workmanship (and probably won't wee any over time), but mine is relatively new. Enjoy your new pistol. M2

Does anyone know why the Sig P239 is so much cheaper than the other Sigs? From the posts so far it does not seem that they are inferior in quality. I currently own a 225 and am looking to get a 239 in .40S&w.

The URL for KY imports is indeed WWW.KYIMPORTS.COM, and is up for business again. The site flakes off once in a while --- nobody quite understands why. Their phone number is 502 244-4400 if you get re-routed to the "flaky studio site."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back