SIG 239 DISASSEMBLY PROBLEM

stubby

Gentlemen, I am having difficulty in the disassembly of my Sig 239 and am seeking suggestions for a remedy. This is a relatively new stock gun, been shot approx. 300 rounds or so. When I attempt to disassemble the slide from the frame, the takedown lever does not move without great resistance. If I force the lever down, I can usually get the slide off the frame but the lever requires an unusual amount of force to turn it down. When I look at the disassembeled slide, I can see that the recoil spring guide (which is apparently made of some type of plastic) is not flat of the flanged end. It is not grossly misshapened but appears to be flattened on one side, perhaps from recoil pounding. I have ordered a new recoil spring guide but it the mean time I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem???? Stubby

CALL SIG.Something not right here.SIG stands behind there warrente so call them and find out what is going on.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

I agree with beemerb, SIG should have a look at it. But, out of curiosity, is the lever difficult to turn when you finally get the slide off? I assume you are aligning the arc shaped cutout in the slide with the slide stop when you turn it down? I'm sure you are, but you never know unless you can see what's going wrong in person. Is it more difficult, less difficult or the same if you turn the plastic guide rod 180 degrees?

BTW, SIG will replace that plastic guide with a metal one. You may want to call them and get that in the mail first before you send the gun off to them.

Yes, I am careful to see that the lever is lined up with the notch in the slide. When dismanteled, the lever turns very smoothly, it is difficult only when the spring and guide are in place. I have disassembeled the pice many times and it does not seem to makeany difference reagarding the orientation of the spring guide. It seems to me that the cam which is attached to the takedown lever, has to be contacting the guide and or spring when I am meeting resistance. Perhaps this is a common problem and that is why Sig is replacing the guides with a metal one which would be less prone to deforming from battering. I appreciate your thoughts and will let you know when I get the guide and see if that solves the problem. I can always send it to Sig if I cannot resolve the problem. Thanks again!

Back