Sig 229 question

HKUSP45C

Hi,
How tight is the slide to frame fit on a typical 229?
I notice that one mines, with the mag out, unloaded, it makes a rattling sound when I wiggle it. Would that mean that the fit is too loose? The fit feels similar to my HKs but hey, this not a polymer frame, so shouldn't it be tighter?
Thanks

Mine moves a bit too. Don't worry about it. It doesn't effect barrel lockup or accuracy. In fact, the looseness is better if you are in an area where dirt or whatever might get in your gun. A tight slide might bind up in that case.

Sig slides are pretty loose. It is done for the reliability.
The function fine like that. Don't worry and enjoy!

Thanks. I'm new to alloy frame pistols, thats why I was concerned. I always thought that alloy or steel frames were suppose to be real tight to the slide. Learn a new thing everyday.
And yeah, I checked with cousin's 229. His is the same as mine in fit.
HK

You'll also find that the front of the slide is tighter than the rear. On both my P220 and P226, there is a rise on the frame rail just about where the trigger is. This increases the slide fit in the front and allows for a more consistent barrel lockup.

-Red-

Sig guns are tested thoroughly. Their guns are designed as such that they would make sure no flaws are made to have the Sig Sauer stamped on it. What I'm trying to say is that, the P229s, or any Sig, are the way they are because it was designed that way...

Loose slides on a Sig Sauer?

None of my Sig Sauers have ever had loose slides! I have seen some pretty old beat up ones (police trade ins) with loose slides but never a NIB one. I would not be happy if my NIB Sig had a loose slide. I agree that a loose slide doesn't affect performance, but it just feels cheap IMO.

My 229 has a little rattle to it with the mag out also, but it is an accurate pistol and as tight as a drum with the mag in the pistol.

Don't sweat the little wiggle.

Derek

Back