SIG 229 or Beretta 96 Elite II

One

Which of these .40Autos? And why? Just gathering info on a future purchase. Have yet to handle the Elite II but have read all the articles. Looking for mainly a range gun, to be carried occasionally off-duty.

Thanks
Mike

Man.....That's not even a comparison.....The 229 all the way !! Why ?? The gun is a proven design,durable,reliable,very accurate and many Leo's carry it....nuff said....:)

Nolo Contendere

Forget all thoughts involving the pizza pistol and embrace the the SIG with both arms. I may be a little biased as I live the pizza scatterguns but will only carry one of their pistols in the line of duty. You will not be disappointed by the 229...one of the finest pistols made.

HK USP40c.

Sorry.

Just had to put it in there.

Especially since I chose it over both these guns a week ago. And it's not like I'm an HK snob. I own two Sigs and a Beretta and picked the HK.

Of the two you named, I guess I'd go with the 229.

But I'd still want the USP40c...

SIG P229, engineered from the beginning for the 40SW. Beretta 96, a quick conversion of from the 9mm. The choice is clear, :D SIG P229 :D

The Odd-ball.

Yep, I guess that's me. I've owned & used alot of 40s, mainly due to finding the right gun for this caliber. But I ended up settling on the SigPro 2340 & Beretta 96G Elite II. Why? First, the Pro's the BEST made 40 for the money. Brute strong, very reliable, accurate, & well made. It's my "beater" gun (if there is such a thing). Second, the Beretta Elite II is "IMO" the best gun/platform for the 40 period. The factory trigger jobs a dream. The 2mm reduced backstrap makes a huge difference, the fit is awesome in my medium sized hands. It handles "hot" 40 loads like no other. Maybe due to the massive Brigadier slide, weight, size, or 4.75" bbl but it tames it like a 9mm. Flawless reliability (what better than a 180 degree ejection port:)). And unbelievable accuracy for a 40, besides the match grade like bbl & length, the long sight radius is a plus. My Elite II is to the 40, what my 10 yr old SIG P226 is to the 9mm:D. Odd-ball out.

Sig 229 or Beretta 96 Elite II

So you have settled in on the .40 cal. I have owned and carry the Sig 229 since it first came out. But---I carry it with the 357sig barrel installed (I also shoot the .40 cal with a quick change of barrel). This is one point that was missed about the Sig 229 in this thread of posts. You do have a choice of rounds, 357sig or .40 cal. Now this will start a debate as to the wonders of either caliber, but so be it, more LEO's carry 357sig than .40 cal. Nuf said. Hands down - the Sig 229 is the only choice.

Thanks for all of the opinions. I have owned the 229 at one time or another, in all three of the calibers. And I owned a few Berettas, some 9mms and two .40Autos. The last was an Elite and a total POS, but the Elite II looks interesting. As to the .357Sig I have a Glock 31 that I will be transitioning to, from a Glock 17, as my duty weapon, next qualification. The reasons for the 229 is to carry when not at work, but I was thinking of the bigger Beretta for PPC and possibly IDPA. Maybe I should forget the Beretta and start thinking 226 vs. 229. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming. I would be very interested in hearing from 226 owners who have them in .40Auto. I have done extensive training w/ the 9mm, but never fired the .40Auto.

Be Safe
Mike

One, I would probably go w/ the P229 as it was built from the ground up as a .40, & I prefer the size & feel of the Sig. Both are good guns, and as BobCA said the shear mass of the Beretta Elite really helps tame the recoil of the .40. So, if recoil is a major concern check out the Beretta, although the P229 handles it fairly well also. As far as converting to 357 SIG, you can do the same w/ the Beretta using an aftermarket bbl. I'd suggest renting & shooting both if possible.

Ed Ely, I think you have it backwards, many more LEA carry the .40 as opposed to the 357 SIG. There have been some agencies to adopt the 357 SIG however, the .40 is in use w/ many more agencies than the 357 SIG, including the FBI, DEA, & Border Patrol.

Both are great pistols. But as my alias suggests, you really do not have a choice to make at all and were simply trying to entertain us with another lively thread.

SIG all the way!

SS

SIG 229.........

Hey guys. Of the 2 I would and did get the 229 in .40.
Also I shot every .40 I could find. Glock,H-K,Beretta,Smith-Wesson,Ruger,and then SIG!
The 229 is the softest shooting .40 I have shot. Though that is subjective. It has very smooth trigger pulls in SA and DA. The whole transistion from DA to SA is not that big of a deal. It just takes getting used to. You can feel the quality of these guns,just rack that slide a few times. :)
45automan

My vote goes to the beretta. That single action trigger is one of the best i've felt on a da/sa gun yet. Its very light. The da pull is still kinda heavy, but not bad. This gun is just plain sweet to look at too! Go Beretta.

Greg

Back