Sig 229 feed issue

TWilliams

So I picked up a used in great condition Sig 229 .40 today from an individual. He said he had no issues with it, just getting out of .40. It was clean, box,docs and 6 mags (3 Sig and 3 aftermarket). I loaded up 2 mags of WWB and it ran great. I ran thru 200 rounds. Came in and cleaned it and loaded up a mag of Fed Prem JHP and cycled the slide and the first round jammed against the feed ramp. Dropped the mag and tried it about 5 more times with same result. I disassembled it, everything looked good and put it back together. Tried it again with the same mag. Same result. Loaded up some more WWB and it was fine. So I tried 2 different mags (1 Sig and 1 aftermarket) with Feds and it was fine. I manually cycled the entire mag twice with no jams. Loaded up the first mag again and it jammed again. Is it safe to assume the mag is faulty? I'll take it out tomorrow and try firing with the other mags with Fed ammo and see what it does but it just makes me a little uneasy since I have no history of the gun.

Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock. :D

Just kidding. I just bought a P229 (in 9mm) so I'll be watching this thread. I've never had a problem with any "P" series Sig, regardless of mags or ammo.

Do not try to modify the magazine I had a mag for my sig that would not feed hp it fed every thing else fine just a finicky mag use that one for hard ball

Do not try to modify the magazine I had a mag for my sig that would not feed hp it fed every thing else fine just a finicky mag use that one for hard ball

Didn’t even consider that. I’m trying some more to verify but I’ll just not use that msg. I’ve got 5 others.
Thanks for the replies so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some here will likely say "no" to this suggestion, but if the problem persists, I would polish the feed ramp. Just go slowly and use a polishing compound which is not too aggressive.

I've had mags like that in the past. Just paint the base and reserve 'em for the range. Who knows, maybe when it get really insane you can unload it for 3X the cost. :D

The only way I have been able to make my 229 .40 jam is with crappy aftermarket mags.

I am an OCD gun cleaner but most importantly it shouldn't be stupidly dirty and needs lube on the rails.

Sig customer support is top notch so if you end up having a hard time figuring this out just contact them and take it from there... but I would first conduct a very scientific evaluation of how its working with each mag and simple known ammo, ie brass case FMJ Remington or Speer are my go to (ie not hollow point defense ammo, aluminum or steel case, only simple decent quality FMJ for testing until you are good working).

So I’ve shot about 300 rounds thru it and out of 5 mags 3 of them caused the issue, and not consistently. The other 2 mags did seldom do the same thing. Yesterday when it did jam I could hit the end of the slide and it would chamber and fire fine then jam again on the next round. This is with Sig mags and aftermarket.
1db9e7ea6fb83b9f850f5692591746a4.jpg
I thought about sending it to Sig for the service, and add nite sights.

So far, from reading this thread, using the specific Federal JHP ammo is the problem in this specific .40 P229 as all fmj ammo, so far, worked fine.

(Not listed in my signature is I've got three SIGs, all in 9mm, too; P229R/P226R/P225.)

It’s happened with both JHP and target ammo. No hand loaded stuff either. I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple specific mags but then yesterday it jammed with a mag I thought was ok.

Which specific Federal JHP are you using? So both cartridge name (HydoShok, HST, etc) and bullet weight.

Edit: it’s happening with FMJ too? It looks like it’s having issues going into battery and I think you wrote you can tap it into battery when it happens. Maybe a worn recoil spring, or maybe the mag springs are worn out. Springs are pretty cheap. Might be worth trying that first, then send it in. Your call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with Post_16. I'd buy a couple of new recoil springs (one for a spare); and a couple (or a few) new mags (SIG or Mecgar brand; more mags can always be used). I suspect the feed issues will go away upon receipt and installation of those two new items.

Might as well order some new ammo, too, but ammo is a bit expensive right now, if you want to hold off on purchasing any at the moment.

P229

I would not dork with the feed ramp, period. Depending on the age of your P229, it could be an older gun, and mags, mag springs would be highly suspect and the first thing I would change or replace. Almost all SIGS I have been associated with, either PO or agency guns, have been highly reliable with factory mags and ammo. One sluggish P226 displayed the following......

I have encountered SIG P-series pistols with the recoil spring installed incorrectly. Yes there is a right and wrong way. This fact does not seem to be common knowledge. The recoil spring has a slightly different internal diameters at the mouth at either end. TIGHT is RIGHT, meaning, when the spring is fitted to the recoil spring guide rod, the tight end fits over the end of the rod FIRST. If both ends are sloppy, the rod/spring may have been fitted wrong over a period of time, and I would certainly replace the recoil spring. Replacing the spring every 5000 rds (I think) is factory recommended anyhow.

Good luck, that SIG should run like a sewing machine.

I've seen a few range pistols that had 15-20K rounds through them that looked like they only had 1K. Start with new springs and go from there, I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the gun.

Back