SIG 228 clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Has anyone seen or handled the Canadian made DEC 389? It is an exact clone of the SIG P228 (from the picture I saw it is identical) in 9mm. It was claimed to have the same type parts as SIG uses and the magazines and other parts were even interchangeable. I did a search for this item and one site did say that the pistol is priced in the $250 range.

I've heard alot about this gun, the South Africa TZ-99, and the CZ-99 from Yugoslavia. All appear to be Sig clones.

The TZ-99 and CZ-99, despite their appearances, are supposedly based on the CZ-75 design -- which probably accounts for the ambidextrous controls.

Gun Tests magazine, in their Handgun Buyer's Guide, has a bunch of tests of CZ-75 clones, and they make a point of including the CZ-99 in that test, emphasizing that it is, in fact, a CZ-design. (They say this despite the fact that most CZs have slides that fit inside the frame, while the CZ-99 is like a Sig, and fits on the outside.)

The CZ-99 and TZ-99 are apparently identical to the DAC gun. (The CZ-75 is an excellent and design, and having a gun based on that design isn't necessarily bad.)

These guns (the DAC included) may simply APPEAR to be Sig clones. I think it'll take a gunsmith with some hands-on experience with the DAC gun and knowledge of the Sig line to really say, definitively, that the DAC is a Sig design.

It surely looks like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back