Sig 228/229 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERKY

I have seen the sig 229 barrel changed to hold the 40 or the 357sig calibers. can the 228 9mm do the same? i would think its too small. but i could be wrong. (it wouldnt be uncommon) Im sure theres a few sig guys here that could answer that for me. thanks in advance : )

------------------
TIM : )

JERKY:

I may well be wrong but I don't believe it can. The 228 was built to provide a hi-cap capability in a 9mm compact. The slide is the rolled sheet steel w/the pinned in breech block.

The 229, IIRC, was designed for the .40 S$W and features a solid, stainless steel slide, including the breech block.

Again, this is my take on it...there are probably SIG folks out there who know the real story...4V50 Gary is a SIG armorer and probably knows the real poop.

Mike

Greetings Jerky; No sir, it would be
dangerous to your health. The 229 slide
is milled out of a solid block of stainless
steel; whereas the 228 is constructed out
of sheet metal. The S&W .40 caliber achieve's
a higher pressure when fired; causing the
slide to react violently. If it were possible
I don't believe the P228 slide would stand up
to the torture!!! 4V50 Gary is a Sig armorer
and a Sig expert; if I am wrong he will
be glad to straighten it out?

------------------
Ala Dan

OK then. That raises my next question. What if i were to change the slide? is that possible? the reason i ask is, I want to get one of those nifty DAC's. They are around $250 from what i understand and if thats the case i would like to have the option of changing the dlide and barrel to make it either 9mm,.40S&W or 357Sig. yeah i know im asking alot. But if there were no questions there would be no bulletin board now would there?

P.S. you are probably asking what is a DAC right? here ya go ... www.dlask.com

------------------
TIM : )

I think the frame on the P229 is different from a P228 also, probably stronger. The DAC-394 will be available in a steel frame by the end of the year and it may be strong enough for the extra wear. You would need to get a SIG P229 slide fitted to the DAC frame to shoot .40 and .357 though. The rim of a 9mm is smaller than either of those other cartridges so you would need an extra slide with a larger bolt face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back