Sig 226 vs. CZ-75BD

I'm in the mood for another 9mm. I already have a Ruger P-95DC that has been a very good gun and an utterly reliable performer. I am looking for something a tad more accurate, though. I'd like to find a friend for my Ruger in the same caliber.

I went to a Scheel's gun store/sporting goods store and held a Sig 226 9mm used in 95 percent plus condition. They wanted $599. I loved the dot-the-I sights and the way it felt and naturally pointed.

I held a Glock 17 but hated the grip angle. My trigger finger also rubbed on the frame next to the trigger. No Glock for me.

I am also looking at the CZ-75DC. I hear they are accurate and affordable. I have shot a Springfield Armory CZ clone and liked the long trigger reach because I have long hands.

My query: Is the Sig that much better that it would be worth the extra $250? I hear the CZ PCR model is very good too.

Your feedback is most appreciated

Actually the CZ-75 is a better pistol despite the price difference in favor of CZ. Still everyone has individual likes and dislikes so try to find a CZ to handle and see if you like it. Avoid judging the CZ75 series on the military overun pistols with the thumbshelf grip panels. The military overun pistols are fine but those thumbself grip panels are terrible. Luckily better grip panels are anywhere from $8 to $50 in plastic, rubber or wood.

I've shot both and own a CZ 75 PCR. The CZ are better looking (my opinion) and extremely accurate just like the Sigs, maybe better than the Sigs.

shiro

I have known a couple of people that can shoot more accurately than myself, given similar equipment and everything, but I haven't found a CZ-75, or clone, that was more accurate than the P226. Buy the gun that feels best in your hand and then go practice with it.

Those are two very fine pistols but you can get a new 226 for less than $599. Police trade-in 226s are available for $350-$400. I love my 226 and liked my CZ75BD. Check with Precision Armory and The Firing Line for 226s, CZ connection for CZs.

Don't let the price dissuade you. The CZ-75 (and for a bit more the CZ-85) are fine guns.

I've had several SIGS and a Glock, and prefer the CZ-75 to all of them. (I liked the Glock trigger, but the gun didn't fit my hand as I would like.) I now shoot a CZ-85 Combat, which is a "competition" version of the CZ-85, which in turn is the CZ-75 with ambi controls.

I find the CZ-75 (or 85) DA/SA transition to be MUCH better than the SIG, and the gun shoots at least as accurately as my past SIGs and as accurately as any of the SIGS owned by the guys I shoot with, now. Ergonomically, it just seems to fit most people's hand better. (When someone else shoots mine, that's the first thing they comment on: "Boy that thing feels good!")

The SIG is more nicely finished (internals, etc.), and clearly a precision piece of equipment. But the tough first shoot in the DA/SA transition is offputting for me.
I think both are equally durable.

I now have a CZ-85 Combat, and it is my 9mm of choice. I like the ability of the CZs to be able to start from DA, half-cock, or cocked and locked. (But, alas, you won't have all those options with a DECOCKER version of the CZ...)

PCR

PCR is a super gun! I carry it instead of my Sig 228 now.
Why. Better finish and lighter trigger in DA. CZ's are accurate, tough and very relible.

bear with me a bit...

i duty gun is my sig 220/226 with which i usually qualify distinguished master. the most accurate 9mm i own is my hk p7.

however, i recommend the cz75 due to its better ergonomics. it rivals the p35 infit of my hand, has the option of DA/SA or condition1 carry and improved thumb safety. it also has a lower bore-axis which helps in muzzel flip and shot-to-shot recovery.

i owned a cz (actually as tz clone) in .40 which shot better than my sig 229. sold it when i got my berretta 96 (i needed a gun with a firing pin block for departmental approval)

A vote for Sig here.

In my opinion they have earned their reputation world wide. Take a look at the barrels of both and the machining and fit. I think you will see a difference.

I think the CZ is a fine pistol,but in my opinion it is not in the same class as the Sig.

This one is tough.

They both point very naturally and are more than a little accurate.

Reliability goes to the SIG. My -75 developed extraction problems after a few years and (knock on wood) has been recently cured with a new extractor & extractor spring (the old spring was only 2/3 the lenth of the new one!). The SIG P226 has never failed for any reason.

Accessories go to the SIG. It's hard to find holsters and whatnot that are specifically designed for the CZ, though 1911 stuff works pretty well.

Price definately goes to the CZ. It makes you wonder how they can design and build such nice firearms for so little. I wish US companies could do the same.

Finish goes to the CZ. My SIG is K-Kote'd, but the older blued versions rust like crazy if you don't handle them meticulously. My polymer finished CZ doesn't care what you do to it, even the magazines don't want to rust despite the finish being worn off in places.

You would also need to consider resale value which would be in Sig's favor. I can not help you with the comparison of the Sig versus CZ, but you will not be disappointed in a 226. Mine has always been reliable and accurate with no malfunctions in 500 rounds with most of them being hollow points. I have yet to get a chance to print paper, but I can tell you this, it is not a challenge to hit 16 oz pop bottles at 15 yards. I agree that the double action pull could be better, but it is no slouch either. A little smith work, or a lot of dry firing should smooth things up a bit. The single action is sweet, and that is where most of your shooting will be done unless you want to decock a lot. I guess you can tell by now that I am a happy 226 owner.
Sling Shot

Greeting's All:

Yes Sir, the Sig P226 is that much better; thus it requires
the additonal price. The P226 is a world class firearm in
every respect.:) In use by many elite tactical unit's and/or
governmental agencies world wide. I started looking for one early on in 1994; I finally acquired one NIB with SigLite
night sight's in Nov. of 1996. The price? $629.95 + tax out
the door!:D:) Yes, $599.00 is an excellent price.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

You get what you pay for it guns.
Spend the extra $$$$ and get a used P226 with a pair of hi caps for $450.

And yes, the P220 and P226 are the most accurate Sigs out there and should outshoot the CZ in the accuracy dept.

BUT the CZ series is a good value.

Mercedes versus Ford.

Merceded vs. Ford? :D How soon we forget that before the fall of the iron curtain folks were happy to pay twice the price of a 226 to get a CZ-75, "because it was that much better"! As far as being adopted by militarys and elite forces the 226 has a LONG way to go to catch up with the CZ. At last count 43 countries issue the CZ and elite forces in foreign countries often spend money out of pocket to buy CZs to replace issue weapons. One south american country (which one I can`t remember) replaced their CZs with the "better" 226 only to find that the constant diet of +P+ subgun ammo they fed all their pistols cracked their frames in short order. They dropped em and went back to CZ75s. Don`t get me wrong the 226 is a VERY good gun,the CZ-75 is just even better. Oh, and at half the price. :) Marcus

Marcus is right, CZ-75 has a much longer history of
successful use than SIG-226. And again, price is not
a factor for comparison in this case. You can buy
2 CZ-75 for the price of one HK USP9. Now, if HK USP9
is Ford, CZ-75 is BMW.

I guess I'll jump in here also and add my $.02 worth.:)

My vote would be for the CZ and if you plan to carry it I would suggest the PCR version for the reduced weight.

Like a lot of folks here on TFL, I had heard a lot of very good things about the CZ series but up until a year ago I didn't own one. I thought "how good could a $340 pistol be?". I seriously thought it was a lot of people trying to justify their purchase by saying good things about it regardless of what was reality. Boy was I wrong!

I bought my CZ75B just to try one out. I figured I could unload it at a gun show if I didn't like it. To make a long story short I'll just say I fell in love with it. It's the most accurate pistol I own, reliable and points naturally. I now have the full size 75B, a 75 Compact, a 75 Compact PCR (all of those in 9mm) and a CZ97B in .45ACP.

I'm hooked on the CZ line. If you can find a better pistol (not just "a better pistol for the money") buy it. My high dollar HK and Beretta gather dust now while I shoot the good stuff.

Regards.

Joe

With Regards to accuracy, I have (or had) the following 9mm guns, and shot them competitively and in bench-rest comparisons:

SIG P-239 (now sold)
SIG P-210
CZ-75B (now sold)
CZ-85 Combat
Browning HiPower
GLOCK 17 (now sold)

The SIG P-210 was the most accurate, but the Browning and the CZ-85 shoot right with it at 20 yards or less. (Making shots beyond 20 yards is relatively easy with the P-210, and harder with the other guns.)

Most of them, except the P-210, have had good trigger jobs. (I'm still debating about the Browning; its pretty good the way it is -- an older Browning [made in the 60's].)
(Glock was fitted out with a 3.5 lb. connector.)

The P-210 came from the factory with a superb trigger.

Tne P-210 also came with a factory proof target which showed a 5-shot group slightly larger than an inch at 50 meters (roughly 55 yards.) I bought it NIB two years ago, but it was made in 1978.

From a rest, at 30 feet, my CZ-85, P-210, and Browning will put all rounds through a single, large hole. They will do this despite my crappy technique and failing/aging eyes. The hole gets bigger and more ragged at 50-60 feetm but that's me, not the guns. The CZ-75B was close, too. The Glock was a little less accurate but shot right there with the P-239. All of them will shoot far better than me.

If I could keep only one, I'd probably keep the P-210. If that wasn't possible, it would be the CZ-85 Combat. (Basically the same gun as the CZ-75, but with ambi controls and better fit and finish. And no firing pin block, making for a better trigger.)

I don't much like the DA/SA SIGS -- If find the DA/SA transition to be rough. But they are good guns, and clearly well made, precision instruments. A friend has a P-220 (.45) that has the best trigger I've ever felt on a SIG; that one almost made me a believer. (I previously had a SIG P-220, but sold it in favor of a custom 1911.)

I love the SIG P-210, which is like a Ferarri compared to a bunch of Miatas.

My vote goes for CZ75.
I own both, and whyle Sig is VERY nice gun, the standard capacity mags are much more expenssive for the Sig then CZ ($80 vs $40 for a NIB 15 rd). Sig has duralluminum frame whyle CZ has steel frame. CZ has internal slide rail arrangement (a.k.a. Sig P210). CZ is also slimmer than a P226.
I would grade the qulity and finish of the guns about the same, but CZ is significantly cheaper then a Sig. If they would be priced at the same level (as they will be in few years), I would toss a coin on my way to the gun shop.

cz all the way

Walt makes some good points as usual, but what he didn't metion is that you can almost buy too many CZ's for one man to carry in a sack for the cost of one P210.

Local PD had Sig's, Local PD sig's were
sold back after frame cracks were "repaired". Bought New SIG's.!!!!??????!!!!!!

Second, decockers are for sissy's and unskilled cops. You want COCKED AND LOCKED BABY!. The PCR looks sweet but w/out cocked and locked capability it might as well be a bic lighter....I mean a glock. -ddt

Walt makes some good points as usual, but what he didn't metion is that you can almost buy too many CZ's for one man to carry in a sack for the cost of one P210.
Yeah, and used ones aren't particularly cheap, either: you generally pay an almost new price, if you can find one. If.

The disadvantages of the P-210 are the European style mag release (on the butt of the grip) and crappy sights. (Its not a great IDPA gun, for example.)

But Sigarms has introduced the new P-210-8 for American consumption. This gun has better sights and an American style mag release. The only problem is that the starting (low-end) price is around $1700 and they go up to over $4000....

I think I'd rather buy a good used pickup truck for that high-end price...

(Now, if you want a more reasonable sweet shooting gun, check out the S&W Model 52. You can find them for $500 - $800, and they'll shoot with any handgun made. Its problem is that it shoots .38 special and its only got a 5-round magazine. But it will sing.)

Back