Sig 226 or 229 ?

I have both, the 226 in 9mm and the 229 in .40. The 226 is slightly larger than the 229, so that could make a difference if you want it for CCW. The 226 may also be a problem if you have small hands.

If the size is not a problem, I'd say go with the 226. It's a tack driver, and pre-ban 15rd mags are still relatively easy to find, and a lot cheaper than 229 hi-caps.

I've got a P228 and love it! It's basically the same gun as the P229 9mm, with slight differences in slide weight/construction, etc. P228 hicaps work in the P229 (they have the same part number in SigArms parts list), and are about as easy to find as P226 hicaps. I just paid $70 each for a couple.

The P228 fits my hand perfectly and is superbly accurate. Reliable like nothing else, too -- mine has yet to jam. So my recommendation is P229.

Another thing to consider in the P229 -- I know you mentioned you were only interested in 9mm, but if you get the .40 S&W version, there are drop in replacement barrels for .357 Sig and 9mm. 3 guns in 1! If that counts for anything with you...

You can't go wrong with either pistol. They're delightfully German over-engineered weapons. Nuff said.

P226 is absolutely wonderful in 9mm. I'd pick the 226 because I like full-sized guns better than compacts. Other than that, they are too close to call.

carried a 226 for 7 years in patrol. unbelievably accurate, almost up to h&k p7 standards, after i added the shorter trigger and hogue grips.

tried a buddy's 228 (forerunner to the 229 9mm) but didn't like the shorter slide...sharper recoil

department went to issuing 229s in .40. tried it for 1 1/2 years before finally giving up. the slide was heavier than the 228 which only made the recoil worst. the top of the slide is fully rounded, which makes sight alignment harder...the 226 has an arrowhead shape atop the slide ( like the 220) which guides the eye along the sight plane.

9mmepiphany,

How did the grip feel change with the 226 short trigger? Does it feel smaller? I'm trying to decide on a 9mm and I like the 226, but it just feels a little large to me. I've got sm-med hands and working with double stacks are tough. I've got a 220 and until recentley, there wasn't a short trigger option for it. I'll have one installed soon. Until then, any thoughts.

Thanks!
-Red-

I have a P229 in .40s&w and really like it. The gun is rock solid and fits perfectly. The 229 is not a huge gun at all, and it wouldn't be too dificult to conceal if needed.

Either the P229 or P226 will be a winner. They are really very similar to each other, so I think it would be more of a matter of which one fits you the best.

Learn Something New Everyday

9mmepiphany,

"the 226 has an arrowhead shape atop the slide ( like the 220) which guides the eye along the sight plane."

I'd never thought about it that way, but you're right. This is one of the reasons I like the P225, P226, P228 over the P229.

Both the P229 and P226 are excellent. I prefer the stamped slide P226s to the newer stainless slide versions (which are a little heavier and have the rounded top). The P226 has the added benefit of less expensive prebans. LNIB P226 factory prebans are $50 and new mags are $60. P228 mags, which function in the P229, usually run $75 for used and a lot more for NIB.

redhook - the grip doesn't change, however the trigger control feel improved. the trigger not only has more curve (shortened reach), is thinner both in depth and width (more comfortable to my finger).

subjectively i would say that my grip is more stable because the trigger finger no longer causes stress on the rest of my hand.

tecolote - i took me awhile to figure it out too, it was just easier to pickup the sights on the stamped slide guns.

I've owned both, but only keeped the P226 since I favor fullsize guns. It's a real tack driver. Also, the added velocity with the longer barrel is a plus, and follow-up shots "seem" quicker with it. Again, like the others have said, hicaps are plenty available (if your state allows it). If it's not for a CCW, or if the size of the 226 don't bother you, "IMO" it's a better choice.

Tough choice!

That said, I think you're mixing classes, perhaps intentionally.

The P229...the first milled-stainless slide SIG...was designed to replace the P228, a fantastic 9mm pistol.

The P-226 remains *the* premier full-size, combat 9mm pistol in the US market. I shot one today at 25-yd. silhouette targets and soon tired of the mundane...instead substituted practice on head-shots; it's just that accurate a pistol, and sticky-dots on paper plates become an endangered species. :cool:

Nevertheless, I aver that the P-229 in .40Auto or .357SIG is the best-crafted, most dependable, out-of-the-box combat pistol in the entire world.

P226 if you're into full-sized pistols, P228 (not P229) if you like mid-size jobs, or P225 (or P239) if you're looking for something to carry. They are all significantly different in fit and feel, so I'd suggest you identify your purpose (CCW, other), and then try them all out at the range if possible. I suspect that one of them will single itself out for you as you go.

Back