SIG 225 or XDe for EDC

JJ45

Need educated opinions.

I really favor DA/SA pistols and have narrowed it down to these two; A Sig Sauer P225 3.6' or a Springfield XDe 3.8" Both 9mm.

Never owned a SIG but I do have a high regard for Springfield handguns.

Which would you choose and why? Any advice would be considered and appreciated .....JJ

I've got an old SIG P225, but just never carry it. Parts for the P225, being discontinued, are getting relatively hard-to-find should something like an extractor or magazine break. Right now, it'd be better to consider the P225-A1 (a different gun) which is still currently being sold. I know, SIG's website mostly indicates "P225" and later indicates the "P225-A1".

Even so, I've got the feeling SIG will entirely discontinue this model as it already did with the original P225, the P239, and other P225-A1 models, as it's now down to just the one. I've many thousands of rounds downrange with SIG da/sa guns and expect a P225-A1 would be similar, comfortable, and famiiar to me.

I've not shot a Springfield-Armory XDE 3.8" or even held one, but might consider it if it stays current and available. What I often carry in these size guns are: SIG P229R, Glock 19 gen5, or Glock 26 gen3.

As I've got many handguns, I see not reason to not buy both and after a year or so, get back to us and tell us what you think was better for you.

Sig 225 is a great gun, nice and heavy with low recoil. XDe is...well, not as nice as the Sig. DA trigger is longer and heavier, overall doesn't feel as solid, but you can say that of any polymer framed gun.

Others have said the 225 is discontinued. Whether that's a risk to you or not, I don't know.

Purely on their own merits, I'd get the 225. On price, I'd get the XDe. Both are great options, I think. I share your love for DA/SA. I just don't own either of those two models. My usual EDC a CZ P-07 which is easily enough concealed under most of my clothing, and if I have to step down in size, I usually drop to a S&W J-frame revolver.

I also have a Walther PPS M2 that I really like. The DA/SA options for thin guns are so few (you've identified both of them) that I just decided to accept fate and get a good striker fired gun. I don't expect we'll ever see more DA/SA single stacks, they just aren't popular. It doesn't help that the Internet tells us it's utterly impossible to be accurate with a trigger above 6.5 lb.

I've got an old SIG P225, but just never carry it. Parts for the P225, being discontinued, are getting relatively hard-to-find should something like an extractor or magazine break. Right now, it'd be better to consider the P225-A1 (a different gun) which is still currently being sold. I know, SIG's website mostly indicates "P225" and later indicates the "P225-A1".

Even so, I've got the feeling SIG will entirely discontinue this model as it already did with the original P225, the P239, and other P225-A1 models, as it's now down to just the one. I've many thousands of rounds downrange with SIG da/sa guns and expect a P225-A1 would be similar, comfortable, and famiiar to me.

I've not shot a Springfield-Armory XDE 3.8" or even held one, but might consider it if it stays current and available. What I often carry in these size guns are: SIG P229R, Glock 19 gen5, or Glock 26 gen3.

As I've got many handguns, I see not reason to not buy both and after a year or so, get back to us and tell us what you think was better for you.
Thanks guys, I did mean 225-A1..I thought manufacturers had an obligation to keep parts on hand for guns they discontinue? Like ammo for obsolete guns? Although I think Ruger doesn't stock many parts for their old Six series revolvers or even P series autos. They all make to dang many!

The 225-A1 is still in production but I might as well just stick with my LW Commander, there will be spare parts for them till the cows come home :) That's probably an advantage to having a 1911 nobody thinks about!

OhioGuy's CZ P-07 might also be an option next to the XDe.

OhioGuy: said:
Purely on their own merits, I'd get the 225. On price, I'd get the XDe

That is what it boils down to from my perspective. I have a Sig P6 and a P239 SAS Gen2, and these are both great shooting carry guns. The XDe is a nice piece and it would be my choice of any of the Springfield XD models. But I wouldn’t trade what I already have for one.

I recommend the Springfield. I really like my XDe 3.3".

It carries very easily with the extended mag (9+1) and gives you a very good full purchase.

The DA trigger is just fine. I shoot it as well as the Sig SP2022 I used to own.

The sig 229 is another one in the ballpark. I'm not familiar with the 225 but looking at them appears to just be a single stack weighing 1 ounce more.

The 229 is not a niche model and comes in 9, .40, and .357 sig.

I think any of these are on the huge end for true concealment but the 229 is absolutely a rock solid handgun, get the legion or upgrade other models to the short reset trigger and you have a really sweet trigger too..

For smaller sig stuff I have a 938, basically a 1911 design but without the palm safety. Wish it was a DA/SA but I'm happy enough with the exposed hammer in SA.
, and they are easily carried unlike these nearly full size "compact" models.

If you stick with your Lt-Wt Commander, you'll have the advantage of parts availability for sure, plus that big .45 caliber bullet and won't have to learn the DA/SA trigger...big pluses in my estimation...and the weight on your hip should be about the same, I'd guess. But ammunition is more expensive for practice...and your Commander may not have the tritium night sights that are pretty much standard on Sigs nowadays...an essential IMHO for a carry piece...that said...here are some add'l thoughts on the P225A1.

I've had one for several years now, got it plus 7 mags for less than $700 and in 'as new condition'. I've carried it regularly on occasion.. Of all the Sigs, with the exception of the P365, I feel it has the best grip "feel" of them all. It's a bit narrower than the rest is the reason. Closer to a 1911 which you now own and which is my all-time favorite. That said, you're accepting a 9mm over a .45 and are giving up capacity vis-a-vis a double stack Sig, for that skinnier grip. A big factor for many.

As to the gun's attributes beyond the grip feel....I shoot mine every bit as well as my P226 and P229, I like the night 'tritium' Sig sights, and the ergonomics of the controls. The DA/SA change over after the first shot takes some add'l training if you haven't been accustomed to that mode of operation...but does offer precision that's sometimes lacking in DA only handguns. Too, the decocking lever portion of the manual of arms, is completely different than a 1911 where you re-engage the safety if carried in Condition 1, cocked & locked.

As to carrying it...the P225 that is...there are plenty of good rigs available to chose from. I make my own, and have found that mine fits the holster I built for my P229. I'm an OWB advocate, & dress around the gun depending on destination and climatic concerns. If you're an IWB guy, the P225A1 is a bit thinner than other Sigs so that may help.

All in all, the P225A1 is a great Sig, but recently discontinued however, and would make a great carry piece if you can live with the reduced capacity. As it's been discontinued, stock up on magazines for it before the supply dries up.

YMMv, Rod

Last edited:
If you stick with your Lt-Wt Commander, you'll have the advantage of parts availability for sure, plus that big .45 caliber bullet and won't have to learn the DA/SA trigger...big pluses in my estimation...and the weight on your hip should be about the same, I'd guess. But ammunition is more expensive for practice...and your Commander may not have the tritium night sights that are pretty much standard on Sigs nowadays...an essential IMHO for a carry piece...that said...here are some add'l thoughts on the P225A1.

I've had one for several years now, got it plus 7 mags for less than $700 and in 'as new condition'. I've carried it regularly on occasion.. Of all the Sigs, with the exception of the P365, I feel it has the best grip "feel" of them all. It's a bit narrower than the rest is the reason. Closer to a 1911 which you now own and which is my all-time favorite. That said, you're accepting a 9mm over a .45 and are giving up capacity vis-a-vis a double stack Sig, for that skinnier grip. A big factor for many.

As to the gun's attributes beyond the grip feel....I shoot mine every bit as well as my P226 and P229, I like the night 'tritium' Sig sights, and the ergonomics of the controls. The DA/SA change over after the first shot takes some add'l training if you haven't been accustomed to that mode of operation...but does offer precision that's sometimes lacking in DA only handguns. Too, the decocking lever portion of the manual of arms, is completely different than a 1911 where you re-engage the safety if carried in Condition 1, cocked & locked.

As to carrying it...the P225 that is...there are plenty of good rigs available to chose from. I make my own, and have found that mine fits the holster I built for my P229. I'm an OWB advocate, & dress around the gun depending on destination and climatic concerns. If you're an IWB guy, the P225A1 is a bit thinner than other Sigs so that may help.

All in all, the P225A1 is a great Sig, but recently discontinued however, and would make a great carry piece if you can live with the reduced capacity. As it's been discontinued, stock up on magazines for it before the supply dries up.

YMMv, Rod
What you said makes a lot of sense

I'm no stranger to DA/SA, those and single actions is what I cut my teeth on as far as auto-pistols.... by the way, the Commander is not going anywhere!!!.

The XDe can also be carried cocked and locked but I will probably carry it hammer down on a live round, safety on....and still have the cocked and locked option. I just feel better about carrying this way and I am well aware of the "disadvantages" of the old "crunchenticker"

I have some striker XDs and they are fine pistols but after accepting a lot of hoopla on the striker system, though much of it is quite valid, I found that I just don't like that system. And the XD strikers WILL go somewhere as I have decided to downsize my battery.

Still trying to decide...THANKS for the advice.

Bought the XDe 3.8 and shot it today after giving it a field strip and cleaning although it appeared to not need it and the pistol was accompanied by a test fire target, 5 rounds at 10 meters within 2 inches and signed by the test shooter. When I stripped the pistol it appeared as if I had just cleaned it with light lube in all the right places.

I only had 80 rounds of 9mm left and I shot it all. Plan on getting more later today. Rem UMC 115 fmj, Prvi 115 fmj and Prvi 115 jhp.

There were no malfunctions of any kind and this DA/SA piece seemed more accurate than the previous striker Springfields I have owned. It also shot to POA when I did my part single action. This is unusual for me since I am cross eye dominant and sometimes have to drift the rear sight on a new gun to the right to achieve POA. DA pull was as you would expect. SA squeeze had a bit of creep but I'm going to accept it as is.

The controls are solid and worked to perfection. I shot two handed, one handed, weak handed, SA, DA and purposely limp wristed this brand new pistol and again, no bobbles. Though at times, a case would bounce off my noggin a couple shots weak handed with one hand or limp wristed :) Again, I didn't have enough ammo to really wring her out

The pistol feels about like you would expect. Fairly slim profile although the slide is kinda tall. I am used to this as most Springers have a high center....obviously I will have to shoot it a lot more. It fits well in a Captain Itch pancake and Aleesi Talon I have for other pistols probably because of the high slide.

I have not had a malfunction with any Springfield pistol I have owned through several thousand rounds fired.

Back