??????SIG 225 or Kahr K9??????

PeterGunn

In the upcoming spring, I will be in the market for a new compact 9mm (not a .40 or .45, so please no trying to covert to convert me, I am to set in my ways at 27 to change. Fro me 9mm is the BEST!!!)

I have narrowed my choices down to the Kahr K9 or the SIG 225. I own a 226 in 9mm and really enjoy it. I also have had the opportunity to handle a Kahr and I really liked it.

So guys, give me the skinny...which one should I choose???

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

They are both good. Get the one that fits your hand best and that you shoot better with. The SIG is a DA/SA with an alloy frame, the Kahr is all steel DAO. I have a SIG P225 and it is one of my favorite carry guns, but I also have a Kahr MK9 that I carry in my pocket or as an ankle gun.

I think that buying a gun that has the same operating system as the gun you already have makes a lot of sense-the same buttons, dials, switches and levers in the same place prevents fumbling under stress and maximizes training/practice. If you want something "just for fun" though, the Kahr is certainly an interesting pistol.

I don't want to sound cheesy here, but I don't think you can lose either way. The SIG might have the edge in accuracy, but the Kahr is smaller for concealed carry. I'd probably go with the SIG, but that is my own preferance for the double/single action system, not any slam against the Kahr pistol.

Don't let anyone tell you the 9mm isn't a good defense round, it's also my pick and I stand by it. Simply put, I shoot better with the 9mm than with any other handgun cartridge, so that is what I carry, because I can hit what I'm aiming at. 'Nuff said.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Since you already own a P226 I think a P228 makes more sense. You can use magazines from your P226, a big plus if you've got preban hicaps. The P228 has excellent balance and is only a tad thicker than the P225. I find that the former fits my hand better. As for converting from 9mm, why would you?

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Good choices! Recently, I too was looking for a compact 9mm. I considered the
Kahr K9; it shoots like a dream. I had two problems with the Kahr-both subjective. First, I thought it kinda looks like a cigarette lighter. Second, the grips were just too thin. I also thought about a Sig 225, but I could find one new. So I bought a Sig 239-no regrets at all.

Check out the Sig board at www.sigforum.com

I have owned both a blue P225 and a blue K9. The Sig was by far the favorite, and more reliable. Go with the P225.

I also own and love a P225. As mentioned above, the controls are the same on the 226 and the 225, which should help. There is nothing new to learn, and therefore a potential to avoid mistakes if you are really set in your ways with the 226.

I think the 225 is a wonderful weapon. I can cut the X ring out of a sillouhette with one at 10 yards, but that's me. If you can, shoot them both. You might just like the Kahr better- who knows?

-Tim Enders

I agree with Tecolote. Sig enthusiasts don't rant and rave about the P225. Most of the raving goes on about the P220, P226, and the P228.

Go with the P228, it was designed for federal law enforcement officers who have concealed carry needs.

Had a kahr but it was brick in my side or pocket. Trigger was like butter though.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter

Dear Friends,

As the duly appointed Prime Jedi Defender of the Holy Omnipotent 9mm Parabellum, I would be the last person to try to convert you from the True Way.

And, I have and carry the Blessed Stainless Kahr K9, which is the ultimate point of convergence for all things good in handguns.

BUT, as the other members above already said, try to stay with one operating system, preferably with common magazines.

If you do go with the Kahr, however, you will love it.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

Have to disagree with the earlier post about the Sig P228 being superior to the P225. IMHO the P225 is a sleeper -- one of the truly under-appreciated firearms. There are Sig fanciers on TFL who will "rant and rave" about the superlatives of the P225 over the other Sigs. The P225 is overlooked because it "only" packs 8 rounds in the mag as opposed to the 10 rds or better in the P228/P229. Some folks don't like the squared trigger guard. However, put it side by side to a P228 and you can see some serious differences in butt width and overall handling characterstics. It is an individual thing. I much prefer the P225 to the P228 or P226 and always have. I appreciate how good it fits in the hand and how slim it is for CCW. Shucks, if I need more than 8 rounds I am in deep doodoo!

At the start of my contemplation, I too considered the 228 as a viable option. But to those who would say the 228 is only a tad larger in th girth area may need to define what a "tad" really is.

The reason the 225 edged the 228 is the fact that there is only a couple rounds difference between the two. I am not one to search hi and low for hi-caps for a concealment arm when the difference is only 3 rounds between pre- and post-ban mags(not disparaging those who have, though). That's why i have a 226 with 15 and 30 rounders.

Please keep the good advise coming, it really makes a difference.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

I agree with Dogger and Peter.

I couldn't have put it better than either of them. The only thing that I can add to their comments is that the 225 can become a high capacity arm IF you carry 2 mags. ie:

9(mag+chamber)+ 8 + 8 = 25 rounds.

Most would agree that 2 thin Sig mags is more comfortable for in the waist band carry than one double stack mag.....Mind you, this is IF you wish to carry ITWB.

I would rant and rave about the 225, but I don't want to stir up any controversy. ;)
BTW, You probably won't go wrong w/any Sig if the 226 fits your hand. The 228 probably will too....maybe even better than a 226. Try 'em all out is my advice.

Ps: But don't overlook the 225.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited January 03, 2000).]

Greetings, PeterGunn. I own and shoot both a Kahr K9 and a SIG-Sauer P225 and both are "good" carry guns. While the P225 is bulkier, it also does not feel as heavy although it well may be. It's single-action capability could aid in accurate shot placement. That said, the K9 does conceal easier and with their P9 (polymer frame) on the way the weight "problem" should no longer be present. Both have proven reliable in my experience with both +P and standard pressure rounds and both are much more accurate than required for self-defense options. Pick the one that you like the best and go with it. Both would serve well. As for the 9X19mm, I've seen it used with spendid effect in defensive scenarios using +P ammunition and the one-shot stops were both sudden and in one case, fatal. Best.

Back