Sig 225... or a Sig 239...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

I used to own a Sig 225, and like an idiot I traded it. I keep going to the local gun shop to check out the P239 in 9mm. I have never fired the P239. There is a lot to like about it; but I think the grip of the P225 is better. Of course, the more I handle the P239 the more I like it.

Purpose of the gun is CCW. Carry ammo will be Federal Nyclad, 9BP, or 124 grain Remington Golden Saber.

Does anyone have any experience shooting both? If so, which do you prefer? And why?

Thanks.

Have you noticed the P225 with magazines that's listed for sale here on TFL? It looks like an attractive package and I can vouch for Shutoku Shia as being a good guy with whom to do business.

Dogger - there have been several threads here on TFL concerning the P239 and what folks thought of it. You might want to do a search and check 'em out. As I recall, there were a lot more pros than cons. But, my memory may be biased. I like the fit, feel and accuracy of the P239. BTW, it is the first SIG to be built entirely in the U.S. (Exeter, NH). I'm not sure if that's a pro or a con or a neutral. I lean toward neutral as there doesn't seem to be any compromise on SIG quality.

Dogger , I used to own a 225 and did not care for the size of the grip [I have small hands], or for the overall large size of the gun for the small mag capacity . I now own 2 239's in 9mm and would not trade them for the world . The 239's are the most accurate and easy to conceal of any of the Sigs that I have owned , this includes the 220 , 225 , 226 and 228. Good luck , Mike...

Forget that 225 and 239 crap!!! Go for the 229 in 40 and 357 sig with interchangeble barrels. The mags work for both cartriges due to the fact that the 357 is simply a necked down 40. The 229 is small, fast shooting, and acurate. The 229's frame is also made out of one solid block of metal, this makes it more durable than all the other models because they are all pieced together and the week spots are where the seperate peices are connected. You can also get the 229 in 9mm, if you can't handle the recoil of the 40 and/or the 357 sig.

Bt

I have a P225. Prior to purchase I put about 500 rounds through a 239 and found that the trigger was lousy (heavy) and the finish was of poor grade, I also did not like the ergonomics. The P225 has the same lousy trigger and poor finish but its a real shooter. The ergonomics are superior. I have had the P225 trigger improved and think its about ideal for small-handed shooters.

BT148 , when did Sig start making frames out of multiple pieces of metal ? My 239 frames are machined out of 1 block of aluminum , like all the other Sigs that I have owned . Just wondering , Mike...

Yeah, Mike, I'm a little puzzled too. My frame is definitely a one piece job. I must have gotten my P239 before they starting building crappy ones (spring of '97). The finish is very good, nicely rounded corners on the slide and frame, very smooth and even blueing (blacking?), finely machined inside, nice crisp trigger with a consistent 4 lb SA pull.

Mal , I agree with you on the quality of the 239 . Both of mine have outstanding triggers , a great finish and are very easy to conceal . As to the finish , I have carried one of the 239's for several months in a Kramer IWB with absolutely no finish wear , it still looks like new . If you are wanting to carry it for any length of time you will find the 239 size a lot more comfortable than the 229/228 size in a concealed carry mode . I was concerned with going from German made to American made quality wise but the 239 is a typical Sig , first rate . Good luck , Mike...

Enough about the 239 - youve got a lot of response on it...
I just wanted to point out something in the original post - choice of ammo...

Nyclad. Very good selection. This is an underated load. The bullet is a very good one and mushrooms as readily as a nuke. It should do good out of the 239s shorter barrel.

Golden Sabers are nice - but overated and they tend to (from what I have seen with my own 4 eyes) like faster speeds - and may not be the best choice out of a short tube. Especially with the heavier grainage that was selected.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Why bother with a 239 in 9mm when you can get a .40 or .357 SIG? I have one in .357 and it's great! Don't get me wrong, 9mm will do, but there are lots of other guns on the market that are about the same size if not smaller
OTOH, someone mentioned the 229 as a better gun. It may not be as well suited to CCW as the 239, but would still be worth checking out. I have noticed that the dimensions of my 239 and 229 are not that much different.

In concealment I have found the most important aspect is the dementions of the grip. The 229 has a fat grip. The 239's was on a good diet and more fit for covert ops. IMHO.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Thanks for the many responses. I have a .45 CCW (Colt CCO) and don't have an itch for a .40. I want the 9mm for (1) lighter recoil and (2) cheaper ammo. I am a great fan of Sig reliability. Since this is a CCW weapon I want to get the dimensions and weight as small as is "reasonable". Hence the P225 or the P239 and not the P228, P226, P229... which is why I was seeking comments from shooters who had fired BOTH the P225 and P239. Seems to me the P239 would be a great CCW and very reliable with the Federal Nyclad round. Barrel a little shorter than the P225... Dimensions a little smaller all around...

I own several SIGS (226, 228, 232) and recently acquired a 239 in 9mm. It's typical SIG, acurate reliable, nice trigger, etc. As I read this thread I pulled out the 232 and 239 and put the on top of each other. AS the specs indicate, the 239 is a 1/4 in. taller, OAL is teh same, and it is heavier and a bit blockier/bulkier, but it is also thinner, which makes it easier to conceal for me.

I also agree with George's comment on the Nyclads. I also shoot them in my snubbie .38, and they do seem to like the shorter tube. Corbon 115 +P's also work well in the 239, if you're inclined to a +P load. Good luck & enjoy. M2

The 225 hands down has better ergonomics/pointability in my hand. They both conceal easily. Let me know if you get one with a crappy trigger. It can be corrected. If I were you, I'd go to a gun shop or show and see if they have both in stock. Compare the hand fit and pointablility of both side by side. What works for me and others might not necessarily work for you. Let us know what you decide.

PS: They both have similar grip angles, but if you want one that compares closely to the CCO, take it with you when you find one you can hold. The 225 feels very close to a 1911, just a little bit better.

EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back