SIG 225 is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshot

Inactive
I have found a used Sig 225 with 15 shots through it, not count the factory target. The asking price is $450. I want the gun for target shooting as well as concealed carry. My question is am I paying to much for the name (SIG) espically because of magazine capicity or is it just a great gun. thanks

That P225 is my favorite piece. I own a P229 w/ .40 & .357, I've owned 3 P226's, and a P228, (all within 2 years!) and that USED P225 was my favorite. It was the most accurate of all, and I regret getting rid of it for a USP COMPACT .40. If you buy it at that price, you can't go wrong. At least in Oregon, those go for over $550 new. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. If anyone has a P225, or P239, and would like to trade it for a 617 4" w/ rosewood grips (50rds thru it), email me!!!

Marshot,

1) The 225 is the best of the lot IMNSHO. There are benefits and drawbacks to every gun. If you want it for concealed carry and target practice, I can't think of a better model. Why?
a) The grip is a little bit thinner than the others. This may not be a big issue for those w/large hands, but it is to many w/average and small hands. Just feels better too. This is subjective, so put it to the test and compare it to other side by side comparison. As for capacity: Unless you plan to use it in competition, it is not an issue. Are you LEO? If not, you are going to have a hard time finding pre-ban factory high capacity mags at a resonable price. Besides, those thin 225 mags are easier and more comfortable to carry 2 at 8 rounds each = 16+9in gun= 25 tot., than one 10round high cap+11in gun= 21. Add ten IF you really think you w/carry two high cap. Most don't unless LEO on duty.
b) They have the most awesome double/single action trigger of any in its catagory that I've ever tried. It may need a trigger job to get THE BEST potential out of it, but it is well worth the little extra invested. If you decide to get it, I only go w/ one smith when it comes to work on SIGs. If you want to know contact me. EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net

2.) They point naturally and I can't think of any more ergonomic grip. At least to my hand and others I've talked to. This is far more important than many issues; reliability being first issue, which is flawless w/ decent ammo any brand. Can shoot ANYTHING out of it you want +p, whatever.

3.) The price you saw it for is fare in the condition you mentioned. I saw one in rusty, fair (neglected/abused) condition at a shop the other week for the same price. Since the one you are looking at is used, the price is most likely negotiable. The shop owner knows that it is not a newer model, (none of which compare to the 225 IMO), and not high capacity so he will probably have a harder time selling it. You might want to offer $350. He might come down, but without actually seeing the gun, a like new SIG does hold its value. If it really is new, the 450 is worth it. If you want something you can trust you r life to, this is it. There are others, but you can't go wrong w/ THIS model.

4) After getting 1" groups last week at 30yds. off of a picnic table w/a 225 I am admittedly a little biased. It shoots far better than I am a marksman. The trigger job takes full advantage of the guns potential. It makes an excellent trigger an awesome trigger. Sights (bar/dot with wide rear notch)are perfect for combat and short range target shooting. FUN GUN!

5) They look extremely "combat cool" w/their unique looking design. ie. Square trigger guard w/plenty of room in front to keep the trigger finger from catching on the way to the trigger shoe. All the others have a sloping trigger guard and don't look as "combat cool" IMNSHO. ;) The squareness of the guard not only looks best, but it is usable if you go w/an index supporting hand finger on the front and my friends special "finger friction" addition. Looks are important to some of us, because it makes the carry and use of it more intrinsically rewarding; sort of like a custom knife.

Any more Q's contact me. EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited October 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited October 22, 1999).]

Equalizer I hope you read this. I have treid to reach you at the address you left, but I cannot get through. Please email me if posible as I am purchasing the p225 and may want the trigger work after i shoot it. BTY it comes with two mags both 8 also night sights. Why do they not come wioth 10 round mags as the ban was over 8 or am I missing something. Did these (p225) ever come with an 10 round mag? Thanks for your respomse

Marshot,

I appologize for not explaining more clearly about the magazine capacity. The P225 was only made with 8 round magazines + 1 in the chamber loaded. One of the issues that you asked about was magazine capacity. That is why I compared the 225 model's capacity w/that of the "high" capacity models. Since the manufacturers no longer make high capacity magazines for public use, unless you are in law enforcement, because of the federal law prohibiting it, you have to settle for 10 round mags in fatter grip high cap models. There really isn't much difference in ammo supply between what would be a "high" cap model of handgun and a standard cap model like the P225. For the reasons that I mentioned in the last post, (ie.carry comfort and 25 rounds), I don't see any benefit to getting a gun that holds 2 more bullets of a different model. Especially if you like the 225. Some would disagree, but thats my opinion. Again 9 rounds total in gun plus 2 comfortable & easily concealable 8 round mags = all you will need for concealed carry and target (25 rounds).

The night sights are icing on the cake for low light shooting. Depending on the age of the sights, they would increase the value of the gun another $50 or so. I think SIG charges $90 extra on new factory night sights. Sorry about not being able to email me. I think its a glitch w/my netscape server. They're always messed up. I'll try to contact you as soon as I get a chance this weekend.

As with all SIG SAUERs you cannot go wrong...
However, I think that you can find a better deal if you went to a GUN SHOW...

1) At a gun show there is the COMPETITION factor which most of the time can save an educated GUN GUY at least $65-$85...
2) The gun has been used regardless of how many rounds have been put through it!!!
3) I have seen the P225 in $300-$400 range NIB... At GUN SHOWs!!!
It is an older model SIG (as good as any!!!)
BUT...
This model is no longer being imported into the US for civilians, and for all intensive purposes has been replaced by the more compact P239 model. (available in 9MM, .357SIG/.40S&W)

I have a P239 that I paid $467 for NIB!!!

Is it better than P225,probably not, for ME yes it is...

I use this gun for CCW when back in my native state of TEXAS, and it is very easy for me to conceal...

My P239 shoots great!!! As GOOD as any SIG I've shot, and I have shot all of them from P220 to the P239... (still working on P210, SIGPRO & NEW P245!!!)

I love it...
It would be my FAV gun from SIG if I did not LIKE the P220, so darn much!!!

Go to the GUN SHOWs, if you don't like the deals offered for P225 pay no more than $400 at the gun shop, and use that $50 for AMMO...

And if money is not an issue then buy it...
$450 for a SIG is still not A REALY BIG LOSS!!!

P.S. I have seen other "older model SIGs" P220 & P226 used, for less than $375...

The choice is yours...

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back