Sig 221 Hi-cap .45

buzz_knox

According to Gary Paul Johnston's article in the latest Guns & Weapons for LE, Sig is finally going to bring out their 221. The 221 is a double column .45 with alloy frame and stainless slide. He hopes it will be out in time for the Shot Show. The 221 was rumored to have been in the works several years ago but nothing was ever forthcoming. With luck, it'll have the same or slimmer dimensions as the 226.

Shoulda had that puppy out 10 yrs ago!

Gotta wonder why they advertise a 45 ACP sig pro (9+1) in Europe, and don't sell it here?

14 round capacity? With a Sig DA decock mechanism tha blossoms out the left side of the grip. Wow, can you say big? Rocco Seffredi taking on your 16 year old daughter?

The 229 barely fits my hand (in DA) - I can only imagine what the 221 would feel like. Besides, as a civie, I would be buying vacant space for 4 rounds. And you know, there would probably be no question as to preban legality (ala HK USP 45 debate).

PAT, if you actually took the time to read Marv's articles, you would find that his information is accurate. And he also plainly states that his information is
"still unverified by SIGArms and is speculative at best."
Marv had problems running his business, but the guy does know his SIGs.

Smaller than 226?

How can that be possible. I just checked a .45 round vs. a 9mm round, and they haven't changed. .45 still bigger. It'd be interesting, though. Hope they make the short trigger for it. :)

As for the SIGpro with manual safety, frame or slide (who ever thought of this...) mounted? Condition 1 capable? Might be time to retire the Glock if true.

SIG P221 14-round mag = one more round than the Glock 21 mag! Sounds like SIG has one-upped the competition. Of course, as a civilian, a 10-round P221 mag is all I can be trusted with, so any additional capacity makes no difference to me in terms of a buying decision. Regardless, a new SIG P-series pistol would be hard to resist, so I may add it to my wish list, when (and if) it becomes available. :)

I have a hard time accepting a 14 round 45 mag in the 221. The 226/40 is a 12 rounder after all. Two more 45s would mean a grip too big for me. The 45 sig pro is 9+1. I suspect the 221 will be around 10-12 rounds.

Back