SIG 220 ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

zentao

Thanks everyone for consideration regarding choice between G30 and SIG220 - I bought SIG!

I have some question though:

1. Where to get 8 rds mags for SIG220?

2. Where to get inexpensive target ammo?

3. What about self-defense ammo? Is ProLoad good enough?

Thank you in advance

Sincerely

Zentao

Congratulations on your recent purchase of a
Sig-Sauer firearm. We, as Sig owners are proud to have you join our ranks. There are
several source's for Sig 220 magazine's.
If you want factory mags; why not start with
Sigarms themselves? Price's are at or near
$33.00 @ for these, I believe? As far as
practice ammo, there are also several source's, starting with Union Metallic,
Speer Lawman, and some other's. Hope you
enjoy your new P220; as much as I have mine.

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

Hi zentao,

(great handle) Not sure for your 8 round magazines, but check the gun shows for inexpensive practice ammo. I found a reloader who loads my brass for $110.00 a thousand. I usually get an equivilant bullet weight on the chance that it'll match my "serious" ammo's POA/POI.

I also think that any JHP will work, but am very happy with the Gold-Dot bullets. I have used Georgia Arms and the Speer factory stuff. Great accuracy, good stats.

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

I went to the Crossroads of the West gun show this past weekend and bought a couple eight-round SIG P-220 mags made by Pachmayr. They're not listed on the Pachmayr website but they're real and they hold eight rounds. Pachmayr has seven-round SIG P-220 mags on their website for $27.50; the eight round mags at the gun show were two for $30.
I guess you could try searching for them at the next gun show in your area.
Hmm. As for practice ammo, the best price locally is $8.98 per box of PMC 230g FMJ. I personally wouldn't use ammo that was too cheap in your P-220. It's like buying a 'Vette and using Quicky Mart low octane.
I have no idea which defense ammo for you to buy. I have Triton Quik-Shok, 165g QSHP +P but I am far from an expert in this area.

Just my opinion,
Rich

You can get 8 rd factory Sig mags from CDNN. The last ones I bought were $36.00, and while they were a little pricey, I like factory mags and they were stainless and in stock.

I have found Blazer 230gr FMJ to be great "plinking" / practice ammo. It's inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere.
As to carry ammo, MY P220 prefers Federal 230gr HydraShoks; Winchester 230gr SXT; or Speer 230gr GoldDots, in that order in terms of accuracy. YMMV.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I also have found my 220 likes the 230gr Hydra-shocks, best accuracy, full weight, and a not too horrible price. For practice, any 230 FMJ will kepp it feeling right.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

I have a P220, and absolutely love it!

As for plinking/target ammo, I've found the best stuff for the money is the lead "baggie" ammo you can pick up at just about every gun show. Cheap & accurate. I found the Union Metallic stuff to be inaccurate (patterns just about double, but still better than some of my buddie ;)) and very frustrating, like the corvette example above. I also shoot a bunch of Winchester 230 gr FMJ. Good accuracy for the price.

For defense & hopefully some hunting this deer season, it's Fed Hydroshock.

Everything I shoot is 230 grn

You've got a fine pistol, Enjoy!

Zentao - good choice - well done!

Magazines: best stay with factory SIG or Meg-Car (I've heard they are the same)... in my 1911's though, have used about every make of magazine short of home made and must say that the Pachmayr come out on top - don't know if the same holds for SIG P220.

Fodder: Mine has proven pretty tolerant. I shoot the (obligatory) lead RN in IPSC matches without trouble, find the Hydra-shocks impressive and as one of my two 'Justin Case' handguns (the other is a GP-100) usually have these in the mags. At present have Winchester Silvertips because I shot up all the Federal and couldn't replace here (Argentina).

An odd marginal note on 'self defense' ammo in this country- 'hollow points and fragmenting' is verboten (even for LEO's !!), so the first rounds are hardball... if they haven't worked - well, I guess I'd be in the kind of trouble where I wouldn't be caring too much about whats 'legal' and whats not.

Peter Knight

zentao,

As for practice ammo, I would recommend using the same bullet weight as you plan to use for self-defense. That way you will become more used to the point of impact of the bullet. I shoot 230 gr. PMC or Blazer, and I haven't had a problem with misfires at all...

Proload, in my opinion, is a very good maker of high quality ammunition. They utilize the Gold Dot bullet in most of their loads, and I think that the Gold Dot is an excellent design...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back