Sierra Game Changer

I have loaded them, but I have not taken any game with them. My experience is entirely 6.5 mm. For me, they have shot very consistently across several rifles. Accuracy is excellent BC is pretty good for bullet weight.

And they are pretty cheap in comparison to other premium bullets that they compete with.

I picked up a box of 6.5-130gr a while back. I think I loaded around 20 of them just checking groups against a standard 140gr load I shoot. They shot well enough for hunting but I never went any further. Wished they came in a 140-145gr version I would probably try some more.

Thanks. I picked up a box of 90gr 6mm. Thinking about whitetail hunting with it in 243 Win. I guess its up to the task, but wanting some real world experience. I am still paranoid of 6mm due to the multiple bullet failures I observed many yrs ago.

243 outdoors on youtube tested that bullet in a series of videos. Here is a link to his Playlist for the 90 grain Game changer.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9iXbQGAkwQN0PpziFN36qO5LW7Z3ngIr
Thanks
I watched part 1 and 5. The bullet penetrated 4.5" in wet paper and maintained about 50%mass. Not too bad. I will probably shoot some through 1/2 inch of wet paper then 1/8" mild plate and into water behind the plate to more accurately simulate skin, bone, and then flesh.

Last edited:
I have loaded and used the game changer bullets in 6.5 Grendel. I took a whitetail a year ago with them.
The bullets themselves are good in the accuracy department but I question the terminal performance.
They seemed to penetrate well but break apart not holding mass as they penetrate. I was a bit disappointed in how they performed. That said I use Sierra bullets (soft points or JHPs) for most all my hunting rounds, from 223 to 458 Socom and all with excellent results!

I have some for my 6.5 CM I have loaded for testing..but haven't shot them yet...if they are gonna come apart I may not use them for deer...maybe coyotes..if they shoot

I use a soft point 100gr sierra in my 250AI savage...deer killing machine

Hornady makes a 129gr soft point I want to try in the 6.5 too...and I have a box of those too...to try.....they also make the same bullet in 140gr

LoL...so many bullets

This 140 sierra bthp is really showing some stuff...put 6 in a ragged hole yesterday...I wasn't even trying hard...just getting started with this new gun....I'm impressed again by savage

Sorry...lol...but the Game changer is a good looking bullet

Ocharry

I seriously doubt it comes apart any worse than the original game king. There are plenty of ballistic gel test videos for the 6.5 mm version and the 308 version.

My point was that the original gameking is a very effective bullet because it sheds weight and dumps energy into the target. If all you want. To do is penetrate and don't want the bullet to come apart at all inside an animal you would be best served by a steel penetrator bullet.

This is in response to the fella above that stated they penetrated well, but lost too much mass on the way through. Good penetration coupled with massive amounts of energy dumped into the target sounds like a good bullet to me

You must assure enough penetration for the kill. If all we need for a kill is to shed weight and dump energy then varmint bullets should be the choice for big game.

You must assure enough penetration for the kill. If all we need for a kill is to shed weight and dump energy then varmint bullets should be the choice for big game.
Agreed. I was referencing the comment above that said they penetrated well, but lost too much weight. I guess the only way to know for sure is to test them. I have some in 6.5. maybe I will buy some ballistics gel and see what they do. There are many videos online showing them in various calibers in ballistic gel retaining 50-70 percent of their weight and penetrating well.

Although I agree that if they come apart badly at Grendel velocities then they certainly will not hold up to the 6mm vreedmoor

Back