Sierra #6 reloading manual

zeke

Okay, have not been paying close attention the last couple of years for various reasons. While getting some parts from Midway, decided to get up to date manual, and Sierra was the only common on available. Took notice of how specific the description was as to the pressure testing used was in #6.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1020728696?pid=183761

Has anyone dircectly compared specific max loads from the #5 manual to the #6 manual and found any adjustments?

Thanks

Okay, have not been paying close attention the last couple of years for various reasons. While getting some parts from Midway, decided to get up to date manual, and Sierra was the only common on available. Took notice of how specific the description was as to the pressure testing used was in #6.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1020728696?pid=183761

Has anyone dircectly compared specific max loads from the #5 manual to the #6 manual and found any adjustments?

Thanks
I have not compared them. I use the Sierra app which is always current. It gets the new data as soon as they develop it.

I also use the Sierra App. As mentioned, it is always current with regular updates. It is also only $5 per year or something close to that price.

I also use the Sierra App. As mentioned, it is always current with regular updates. It is also only $5 per year or something close to that price.

I have the app aswell but they still do not list there .308 169 Smk on there anywhere.

Be nice to have some load data because it is entirely different than there 168 SMK

I saw that too, I was considering that bullet for my Savage 10 GRS in 308. What I would do, and I am not recommending you do this although I think you would be fine, is use the datat for the 168 grain tipped match king.

I saw that too, I was considering that bullet for my Savage 10 GRS in 308. What I would do, and I am not recommending you do this although I think you would be fine, is use the datat for the 168 grain tipped match king.
Kilo,

I was thinking the exact same thing. Except I load for 30-06 I did try a couple at 3.330 COL with a charge node similar to the 168smks and they shot very well out of a 1/10 twist barrel in my M1.

That M1 had the original 1953 barrel with alot of throat erosion. Interested too see how they work in my other M1 with a new criterion barrel.

They are hard to find right now I have about 300 on hand, I bought them to do some 1000 yard shooting for my M1. These bullets were designed for that distance and should stay stable out that far unlike Sierras 168s

Note that on page 671 of the #6 manual, Sierra has 165 and 168-grain bullets lumped together. Military bullet specs are about ±1.5 grains, so you can figure at least that much slop is pretty safe.

Comparing the 168-grain loads for 30-06 in #5 (p. 548) to #6 (p.671), the 168 has its own page in the older book, so it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. But, for Varget and IMR 4895, the newer manual has increased the max charge by 0.6 grains. In both books, these loads claim to produce 2800 fps, but where the new book uses the 24" SAAMI P&V barrel, the old one used a 26" Savage 116. The old book used the Federal 210 primer while the new book uses a Winchester LR primer. The old book used a Federal case, while the new book uses a Winchester case, which had slightly (half a grain to a grain) more powder capacity the last time I measured a few of them. So, getting a comparison that is valid is problematic. Generally, it looks like the new book's loads for this cartridge and bullet weight max out a little warmer, but there is an exception in Big Game powder, for which the max load has been reduced to -0.7 grains. IMR 4064 is 0.3 grains higher in the new book but claims 100 fps less velocity than in the old one (the barrel length difference, mainly, I suspect).

Nick,

The sierra app lists

30-06

Firearm type : Universal
Barrel Length : 24 inches
Twist Rate : 1/10

Components
Case: Winchester
Primer: WLR
Trim too : 2.485 ( which I found interesting)

It doesn’t list specific max, but insteads shows red ** when you are getting close.
It does however use data from the #6 edition.

30-06

Example

168 SMK 50.6 Grains of IMR4064 2800 FPS no data after this point.

Attachments

• 4DD8DEDA-B866-4F67-AE1A-EA350CE9548F.png
    4DD8DEDA-B866-4F67-AE1A-EA350CE9548F.png
    567.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back