Sierra 110 HP for 300BLK

SFW

Has anyone tried the Sierra 110 HP Varmint bullets for a 300 BLK load? I'm interested in any performance reviews as far as accuracy and effect on game. Thanks for the assist.

I can tell you a lot of Garand shooters at the CMP forum claim good accuracy from 110 and 125 grain bullets in reduced range matches, so I don't see a reason, accuracy-wise, that it couldn't be made to shoot well in the 300 BLK. As to effect on game, it will depend on impact velocity.

Varmint bullets are intended to open very quickly and be maximally distructive (explosive) on varmints in their design impact velocity range, so they may be expected to be too distructive of meat if you try to hunt small game with them and to fail to penetrate medium game well. But that assumes your are in their design impact velocity range. If you stay on the low end or below that range, you may get minimal expansion, though if you are trying to limit expansion to spare meat, a 110-grain RN FMJ would be a lot less likely to totally destroy small game.

Don't play Blackout myself, but a Speer 110 grain HP with IMR4227, at about 2000 FPS, out of a Plainfield .30 Carbine makes a grapefruit sized hole in a ground hog. Always goes where I want it to as well.
Your BO runs a bit faster at 2220 FPS Max load. Wouldn't worry a bit about a JHP. However, a varmint bullet is not made for large, deer sized, game. If that was the plan.
You do not need magnum primers for IMR4227. You'll note that Hodgdon says 'magnum primer' for your BO, but not for the Carbine.

I have a blackout pistol AR--so it may not compare to what you have if you have a rifle--but having shot probably over a thousand cartridges through it I found barnes black-tip TAC TX 110 gr to be superior in consistency in supersonic loads to any other bullet I've tried. Barnes says they'll open down to around 1200 fps, so I would think that would make them viable for medium soft-skinned game up to 100 yds or so--but I have not personally verified this.

Thank you for the responses. I have successfully taken three deer with the Barnes TAC-TX for the Blackout. It is a great bullet. I'm working on a hog load at the moment. I don't necessarily want to send expensive bullets down range for a hog. I'm looking for something that will be devastating for head shots. Just need to penetrate the skull.

While not a 110gr HP, I am getting good accuracy with 110gr FMJ RN and H110 in my 16" AR in 300 black. Cant see why it wouldn't split some wigs at 50yrds.

My 300 BO is pistol length. Getting good accuracy with Sierra 125 gr FPHP, intended for 30/30. Have had good terminal performance with this bullet when shot from a 30/30 Marlin on Missouri whitetail. Anxious to see what it can do in the BLK

Back