Sidetracked!

TXGunNut

I've decided the best way to tackle my daunting list of reloading/casting projects is to focus on one at a time. I cast some RD 323-170 bullets last session but for some reason I cast a bunch of Lyman 452424 tributes to St Elmer as well. Today while I was waiting for the freezer to defrost I loaded up some try loads for the 32 but I couldn't go shoot them, freezer still defrosting. :( I found some 45 Colt cases hiding out here & there in my loading room and pretty soon they were cleaned & sized. Using my Lyman lube/sizer was a bit of a PITA after all the fun I've been having with Lee's system but I managed to get the correct die and punch in place and somehow got SPG lube into about 100 grease grooves. Been pretty curious aboout BP loads in 45 Colt so I dug out a bottle of KIK FFFg and scratched that itch. :) Pretty soon I had 35 rounds of big dirty fun ready to go...but the freezer's not done yet. Seems I have a Uberti Bird's Head around here somewhere that hasn't been to the range yet. Won't be able to say that much longer, have a feeling I'm going to get "sidetracked" again tomorrow on my range trip. ;)

Attachments

• Bored 001.jpg
    Bored 001.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 59
Thanks! Freezer project went well....finally! Now it seems rather empty, I think I need to killl something.:rolleyes:
Oops! Focus! Going to shoot the 32 tomorrow, Bird's Head is probably already in the shooting bag. SP loads only, tho. Have dinner plans that won't work well with the after range BP regimen.

Last edited:
Finally got to the range with the Uberti Bird's Head and BP loads, little revolver is a real crowd-pleaser! Shot about 1/2" above POA @ 7 yds (only range available pre-super-whatever ;)) and the big boom and cloud of blue smoke was pretty entertaining! Only fired 30 rds but most were touching, flinch got me a few times firing offhand, one-handed. Was pleasantly surprised that this BP-era replica had sights regulated so well for BP loads, guess I shouldn't have been.

Attachments

• Impala 002.jpg
    Impala 002.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 19
Here's another kwinky dink Tex, when I shot up all my .32 win spec. I had brought my SAA Colt
DSC00868.jpg
This one that has since been rechambered for the .45 Colt and my Uberti Copy...Ya know, both of these shooters have been rebarreled by Tom whatshisname of Bozeman arms?...Anyway I got over shooting BP in them years ago but was shooting the .452423 GC in the Uberti because it fit and the 255 lee fp in the Colt...cause it fit using the same amount of 2400 in each one and they both gave me pretty good accuracy and I added another grain for my '73 win copy and the Lee bullet and it did pretty good too.

So Tex, do you like oysters on the half shell and Dave's insanity sauce, or is this just another coincidence?

So Tex, do you like oysters on the half shell and Dave's insanity sauce, or is this just another coincidence?-Salvadore

I'm not the purist you are, my friend. I prefer Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot sauce on raw oysters, among other things. If the sauce overpowers the salt and the slime then I won't think I'm eating oysters. ;)

I used Ballistol for the first time today, folks on the CB forum educated me on it. I mixed it 50/50 according to label instructions but some folks mix it weaker, I will next time. I put it in a trigger spray bottle to wet patches and wash the exterior down. Cleaned up quicker than SP and j-bullets, no leading whatsoever. Just powder and lube residue.
May have to do this again someday soon.:D

TGN

I bet those Holy Black loads were loads of fun !!!!

+1 on the ballistol ,what you mixed up was moose milk as the SASS people would say .

I got a buddy that is a Lord of the Soot & he mixes his 1/3 Ballistol to 2/3 water & uses it in 1 of those little steam cleaners & swears by it !!

Just be sure to shake it up before use .

Can't get over how much fun they were, little buggar may never see SP again.
I've been using Windex w/ vinegar for years in my Sharps and frontstuffer, really like the moose milk. Did it as a lark, never planned on doing it again...Yeah, right! Cases are sized and back in the cleaner gettin' all shiny again.:D

Back