Sidelock puts another one down.

deerslayer303

My nephew took this buck yesterday evening with a CVA Plainsman .50. Patched ball atop 90 grains KIK Black. 45 yards and dropped him in his tracks. So proud of him.
f298a46c85d09b020b8ade406a33ec83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's the biggest buck he's ever even seen in the woods. He was beyond excited. Weighed 185lbs.

Sure as heck outweighs our long-legged dog sized Hill Country deer that might weigh about 125 lbs or so for a good sized one. I'd be excited too!

Small deer in Texas? Shoot I always thought yall had some beasts out there. Or is that only on the ranches they show on TV?

Last edited:
Excellent !!!

The smile on his face, says it all. I always enjoy these kids sharing this special moment with those that do appreciate, this day. Would not happen without the support of you and the rest of your family. Is there a mount, in the future ???

Good work and;
Be Safe !!!

I'm not sure if my brother is going to mount it. They did cape him out though for a later decision I believe.

I'm preferable to a European mount.

The deer out here differ by region. Here in the Hill Country they are quite small but plentiful. The season there allows for 5 deer which could be had in a weekend if one wanted to do that much work.

But then we also have Axis which don't have a season or limit and taste much better that are closer to mule deer size. But these are harder to find and only in the Hill Country that I'm aware of.

great

Congratualtions to all. Good to see that some folks are still hunting the traditional rifles. Around here, inlines sabots and optics rule the day for any BP hunt. MS even has the liberal interpretation of BP cartridge rifles that allows the use of H&R singleshots using smokless cartridges. All that defeats the idea of what was once billed as "primitive weapons season."

Way to go....it's great seeing a youngster learning how to use a primitive type weapon. Way too many of the inline things out there....
He will remember this forever.

Back