Side Saddles.

Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but I will ask anyway. I am thinking of putting a side Saddle on my 870.

Are there any particular issues I should know about it? Any particular opinions either way?

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
-Thomas Jefferson

Exactly what do you mean by shorter or longer forarms? Also, isn't it on the side opposite the ejection port?

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

Cameron - there are at least two styles of forearms for the 870. Some, when you rack the SG open, extend back behind the front of the frame, thus obstructing a 6 round side saddle.

The other (Police) style poses no problem.

The side saddle is on the side opposite the ejection port, but the forearm that is a problem has an area that is releived for the port.

This is waayy eaiser to show than explain..

Giz

Erick is correct, if you have an 870 Express or Wingmaster, you will need a special shortened fore-end from Remington to accommodate the six shell sadddle. There are a few ways around this:

1. Buy an 870 Police;

2. Buy a four shell saddle;

3. Saw 1.75" off your fore-end; or

4. Buy a Surefire Responder weapon-mounted light.

Notice that Remington will not sell you the special fore-end unless you have an 870 Police. Nice, eh?

I think weapon mounted lights are the bee's knees on defensive long arms so my first choice would be option #4. But if you don't want to drop $300 on a Responder, I'd go with option #2.

You will also need to take care not to over-tighten the screws on the sidesaddle during installation. Over-tighten the screws and your receiver may warp slightly and bind the bolt.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited April 27, 2000).]

CR

I got the 6-shell sidesaddle for my 870 marine magnum and found that the back side of the forend would interfere with it when the gun is cycled. No problem I removed the forend marked it and cut off about 1 1/2 inches, cleaned it up with sand paper and a file and it looks like factory. If you're going to have a 4-shell holder you might as well have a 6-shell holder. My forend is synthetic if you have a wood you'll want to cut it differently. I do not worry about scratches or dings or dents in my guns. They are all working guns and they'd better be able to take it.

------------------
Take Care

Thanks for the comments. However, a new option has been mentioned to me.

Anyone have any comments on a BoTech tactical Speedfeed?
An example would be found here. http://www.botachtactical.com/speedfeediii.html

It seems to have some advantages, like a built in pistol grip for extra control, and an internal shotshell holder on both sides(allowing 4 shells to be stored). It would also seem to elimitate the balance problem some people have mentioned to me with the side saddle.

------------------
-Thomas Jefferson

CR

I have one of these and I too like you thought it would be great. It's NOT, when you want the shell out it won't and, when it should stay in it does not. I do not like that feature of that stock one bit. The rest of the stock is good.

------------------
Take Care

When I put the Sidesaddle on my 870, I didn't have the input y'all can get now. So, when the forearm interfered with the sidesaddle, I shortened the sidesaddle one round's worth, ending up with a 5 shot carrier. It works....

As for the Speedfeed stock, I've heard some complaints from owners about having trouble getting the rounds out under stress. Also, with plenty of experience with both styles of stocks, I see little if any advantage to a full stock with pistol grip over a standard stock.

Finally, more ammo is nice to have right on the weapon, but few if any crises will require a private citizen using more than a round or two. The Law of Diminishing Returns applies here...

Scattergun Technologies/Wilson sells new short forearms for only $20. These work perfectly with the six shot carrier which they also sell. If you have an express or HD model the color and finish matches the buttstock exactly. See them at www.wilsoncombat.com.

Back