1932 or so Winchester 21
1927 Ithaca NId
Both are field grade, 30", Modified/Full, twin trigger, splinter forearm

Will there ever be field grade guns like this again

DSC_1812_zpsrcf0f3ok.jpg

DSC_1817_zpstdgwfi9i.jpg

DSC_1807_zpsmdhlyg9i.jpg

DSC_1827_zps6gqvussj.jpg

There are guns like those ( very nice, btw ).
They just aren't made here, unless you count Tony Galazans Win 21s...........;)

I have my Grandfather's Ithaca double, which he bought (custom made to order to his specs) in 1909. I'm not sure if it is a "Flues" model or a NID. I think it is a Flues model, but am far from an expert in these old guns.

Mine has seen a bit more wear and neglect (but not a lot) than the one in your pic. Lovely guns.

If you know a bit about the Ithacas, I would love to hear about them. "papa's" gun has 26" barrels, choked Full/Full (at his request - a dime will balance on the muzzle, and not fall through) and the stock has a bit more drop than standard, again, at his request. It has "fluid steel" barrels, and extractors, not ejectors. (Papa once told me if he had known better at the time, he would have spent the extra money and gotten ejectors - I think it was $1.50 more..) Serial # is 1900XX.

The safety button has a different look than the one in the picture, it is more "flat" the raised center portion is square and checkered, and there is no "slope" up or down from the checkered section. Also, there is a hole in the rear, where the letter "S" can be seen when the gun is on "safe", and is a 3 position safety. Forward is off, and the safety goes "on" when the action is opened. Mid position is ON, and rear position is both OFF, and disengaged (does NOT go on when the action is opened).

There are no pins or other cocking indicators visible on the action.

Papa taught me that the gun need NEVER be snapped (dryfired). Put the safety in the rear position, action open, hold the triggers back and close the gun, the hammers are down.

The gun had a guarantee on the springs, which were guaranteed to NEVER "take a set". NEVER. Not for the life of the original owner, but NEVER! you have to love the faith they had in their work in those days! I also have (somewhere) a letter from Ithaca, dated 1949, Papa had written them, asking about the guarantee on the springs, and they reaffirmed it was still good. It is a form letter, but also ended with an obviously hand typed paragraph warning that the gun should not be used with the "express" loads, as they were not needed, being "akin to using a bulldozer to thread a needle", and signed by the Ithaca VP at the time.

Any info on the history of this model (and which one it correctly is?) would be helpful.

Thanks.

Again, BEAUTIFUL guns, we shall not see their like again....

I've always liked side by sides. Unfortunately good ones carry a high price. I do have a model 24 Winchester 20 ga. I was given for Christmas over 50 years ago. Still in very good shape.

I have a nice Ithaca double I paid $200 for from a LGS that was closing. The day I bought it I was offered $750 for the wood.

I don't know much about it except its beautiful.

Is there any place I can check via serial number, the date it was made. #1051XX. 12 ga, full/mod, double triggers.

It doesn't eject the shells (by design I believe).

Where can I find out more about this gun?

------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

I found this:

http://ithacagunrepair.com/IGSN/IGSN.html

If I'm reading it right it's a Lewis Double, made in 1904.

Last edited:
For information on old Ithaca shotguns, I suggest:
www.ithacagunrepair.com
Lots of information on all models including serial number/date charts, etc.
They specialize in repair and restoration of old Ithaca guns.
Lots of good information.

I have an old 1909 Flues model I picked up for a couple of hundred bucks. It's worn and the end of the barrels have been cut off, now 26", so no chokes but I always wanted one as I grew up about 50 miles from the factory. It is labeled fluid steel barrels. I have used very light hand-loads without problem and now have loaded 100 brass hulls with Pyrodex for use in this old timer. Just a fun thing.

Jimbo, your fluid steel barrels were made for smokeless powder loads.
Your chambers may not be 2-3/4. More likely 2-1/2 or 2-9/16

"Fluid steel" is one of the first true smokeless powder barrels. In the old guns, I would say not to shoot anything heavier than 3 1/4dr eq. loads.

One fellow I heard of had a 20, and shot heavy loads when advised not to, the gun held up fine, until somewhere in the third case of shells the receiver cracked.

Not worth it to push 100+ year old pieces of artistry (even the plain field guns).

Nice pictures of nice guns. I don't know if we will every see SxS shotguns ever made for an average hunter to use every day for hunting in similar price ranges. However, even if a person has to lay out a couple two three thousand for a gun he is going to use for a lifetime, then by gosh get exactly what you want.

I have a whole basement full of guns that were "good deals" that never get used, and a few that were "exactly what I wanted" that get shot all of the time. Long after the price is forgotten, the gun remains, so the son who has all of a sudden taken an interest in shooting shotguns and hunting and is one of those who shoots a SxS as if he is pointing his finger will get one that will not be a compromise...even if that is his combination birthday / Christmas / Wedding / anniversary present for the next 20 years.

I don't know if we will every see SxS shotguns ever made for an average hunter to use every day for hunting in similar price ranges.

Sure you will, and can, they just say "Made in Turkey"

From above:

Papa taught me that the gun need NEVER be snapped (dryfired). Put the safety in the rear position, action open, hold the triggers back and close the gun, the hammers are down.

Is this true and safe?

Anyone proved it??

Back