Show us your hunting handguns. Or snake/bear defense.

Blindstitch

There's another thread in discussion about hunting handguns generating a lot of responses that seems bigger game oriented which causes me to be curios.

What are you using?
What are you hunting?
and do you have a picture.

Here in Wisconsin I believe the rule says you need a 5 1/2 inch barrel so I don't have a hand gun that fits the description.

But I have a friend from Iowa who likes hunting rabbits with a 22lr pistol while pheasant hunting. He explained the rabbits would run out and seemed like they realized he wasn't after them and they were in the friendzone. Then he would pick them off with his 22lr.

Well as posted in that other thread...

attachment.php

It's mostly a deer gun and even a bit of a hog gun but I am not adverse to taking it with me to Colorado or, hopefully one day, to Alaska to shoo away bears.

Sadly every time I take it I never see a hog on my parents land!

Deaf

@CaptRick- How is that Burris with Leupold mount holding up on the XVR? I started with a Leu mount and a Weaver. Both failed after a few round. I switched to the Leupold variable with Warne mounts and after about 50rnds they are holding up. I still hate the limited field of view. Thinking about switching to some type of red dot.

Here they are. Pictured on foe fur so that I dont upset PETA.
Unfortunately neither has made a kill outside of water bottles and insane clown targets.
04910220-89c1-4db9-9ef3-e3814c3f1962_zpst59ymztc.jpg

For many years this was my pet gun to take to the woods and fields:

Ruger Super Blackhawk, .44 Magnum. Load was a 245 gr. Keith SWC over 25.0 grs. DuPont IMR-4227 powder. This clocked 1400 fps out of my gun.

Best shot I ever made was with this gun, killed a ground hog at a measured 110 yards.

Bob Wright

@bobw- that's an impresivr shot. I picked off a beaver with the unscoped xvr at about the same range, freehand. I don't know what you excuse is, but mine is pure luck. my iron game is within 50yds or less.

At the time I was doing a lot of long range handgunning, out to 200 meters (218 yards) on a silhouette range, also plinking at long, unknown distances. I was able to plink Styrofoam coffee cups on the berm at 100 yards range. I could cut the stems of bull thistle growing on the berm also.

So I felt pretty confident in taking a 100+ yard shot at the groundhog. I was kneeling with my left shoulder braced in a hay roll in the pasture.

Bob Wright

Boogie man,,,,So far so good. I cleaned the threads real good before I mounted it and used the blue Loc-Tite. Let it set for a couple days before I shot it.
Im guessing I have about 200 rounds through it,,, no problems....

44mag.jpg

My T/C Contender in 44 Magnum. It is my go to pistol to take down deer.

44mag2.jpg

My Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. Purchased new in 1971 and still have the box with the original receipt in it. It has taken a few deer too.

6866.jpg

This is my 357 Magnum for up close encounters with deer.

Blindstitch said:
Can we get a few more pictures of that. How is the barrel connected or where even do you get a custom barrel like that?

Not the best photo to show this, but it's what I have at the moment. Early on Desert Eagle offered a variety of different barrel lengths (6"-10"-14"). Barrels are quick detach, so they can be changed out in a matter of seconds. 14" barrels are no longer offered but you can still get the 6" and 10".

DEKit_zps03412f42.jpg

My hog hammer, Dan Wesson 357 mag.

My current Contender bug out pack. 22 hornet, 357 mag and 45 acp. No blood on any of them yet, don't even have them broke in yet.

And my .243 Encore "do it all" pistol. Tho it now wears a brake.

Back