Show off your pistol kits, stands, equipment!

Rookie21

I'm kicking around ideas of modifying or moving around my setup a little for when I shoot muzzleloading pistol. This is how I used to set up on line for matches. They way I do things now is different and that image will be here eventually but I'm curious what other shooters use and prefer.

There is enough stuff on my pistol stand for 300 shots .

0005_filtered.jpg

Now I'm really confused! Looking at your kits . . I don't know which has more things . . . your kits or all the stuff my wife carries in her purse? LOL

Both are impressive . . . all of my "kit" fits in an old treacly sewing machine drawer that i put a leather handle on to carry. I bought two in an antique store for $3.00 each - removed the pull handle and put a 1" or so leather strap from end to end - just right for my C & B revolver - ball pouch, capper, powder flask, measure and Altoid tin with various "possibles" in it. I have the other one set up for my rifles and just switch out ball bags.

kwhi - now I know what a person needs to take 1st place consistently! That's a well thought out rig!

Yeah, bedbudbilly, since I don't shoot competition, my shooting kit box is fairly simple too. Lube, wads, extra bullets, caps, screwdrivers, nipple wrench, cleaning rods, etc. under the tray. I've been using that powder flask since 1969.

k062cm.jpg

Last edited:
Since we shoot multiple guns at friendship (cap, flint, and revolver) we need to have on hand balls for each caliber, correct patching for each gun, enough flint caps and powder, and spare parts in case of breakage and the tools needed to complete the task. Cleaning supplies, spotting scope, grease and corneal... The list is endless at times.

Box and press

Built this box and mounted the press to the top.

Press comes off and goes into the top drawer

Has rails on the bottom that catch in the ridges of the tailgate

Last edited:
Box and press

That way it won't slide around in the truck

Here's a shot of the press. It is made from one end of a furniture pipe clamp with a little skirt welded on for stability.

Have jigs for Walker, .44 and .36 Colt and one for Remington which isn't in the photo.

Last edited:
Box and press

I know the rig looks a little over done and it is somewhat heavy. (Make my truck a look a little like a chuck wagon.) But since I can back the truck right up to the shooting bench I don't ever take it off the truck at the range. I just slide it out of the truck onto the tailgate and work from the bench to the truck.

Hardest part is taking it out of the garage and putting it on the truck.

In case you are wondering, I don't have a jig for a five shot cylinder.

The photos of the box were taken when it was new. It doesn't look as clean now. And the drawers have a lot more stuff in them.

Last edited:
I wanted to comment on the photos and ideas.

I know that Rookie and KWHI go way back and are serious shooters. It is no wonder the rigs in the photos are pretty well thought out.

BC, the simplicity of your box has a brilliance about it.

To BBB, you must have been a Marine....Adapt and overcome.

Doc I really like the box you use. Very simple and the press was a good idea too. The picture above is of what I used to use. Maybe if I have time I'll throw a picture up here of how I now use a rifle box for a pistol box.

I like this thread. I need to make something much better than I have.
You fellows are giving me some great ideas, Thanks.:confused:

Current rig

In the pictures below you see a pistol shooters box, small tool box, and a muzzleloading rifle shooters box. In the pistol box area guns, spotting scope and mount, revolver loading press, WD40, and white lithium grease. The tool box has some extra shooting components, tools for disassembly and repairs. The rifle box is set up for pistol. Everything I need to shoot the revolver, cap and flint pistol.

And this years (2015) NMLRA National Championship winning guns. Didn't do well with the cap, 2nd with the flint, and first with the revolver winning with a 939-19X of 1000.

See, that is what I mean....

This forum is literally loaded with very accomplished, very serious, very experienced shooters.

It is an honor for a person like me who is just an occasional shooter, never shoots at sanctioned events, can't claim to be anything more than an "accumulator" when it comes to the firearms I own, to be admitted to your midst. I joke around a lot but I am serious about this.

I think I come up with some good ideas sometimes and I know my way around tools, but I can tell you, my inexperience has prompted me to develop some real whoppers too. I remember the cylinder press that was so big I had to move from and S10 to a Colorado just to haul it around. Rube Goldberg would have been proud.

Rookie21

Can you tell us more about the single shot cap and flint pistols?
Who makes them? I've never seen one of those before.

Drobs

First off - I compete in what's called the "open" or "unlimited" division of matches and aggregate matches. There are many matches you can shoot in at friendship; the traditional agg, international agg, memorial specialty matches, re-entry's and so on. Some matches require you to use a reproduction or an original gun. Fixed sights only and plow handles - no "saw handle" grips. But in the unlimited 1000 point aggregate match which is THE national championship agg you can shoot any gun iron sights only (adjustable or fixed). Target style grips allowed.

My cap lock was built by a man named Harold Yazel. He favored the Smith and Wesson model 41 (.22LR Target pistol) so his guns were built based off that. He made a cap lock and a flintlock. He's about 90 now or somewhere in that age area and no long builds guns. I bought my cap lock in the fall of 2013. Probably one of the last ones he made. You can buy grips for a model 41 and they'll fit on the cap lock and flintlock with minimal fitting. My cap lock is an inline. Number 11 caps, it's a .36 cal shooting a .350 ball and .020" patch. 17gr FFFg Goex. The grips are Herrett Nationals for a S&W M41.

The Flint lock pistol is made by Rob Lewis. He may make you a gun now-a-days but it's costly. $1400+ last I checked. I did NOT pay that for mine. I bought mine used unfired. He makes cap locks and flint locks. My flintlock is a .32 shooting a .320 ball and .090" patch. 17gr FFFg Goex. The grips are also M41 grips but cut drastically to fit because the grip angle isn't the same as a M41. But the feel of the grips was preferred as well as a different angle so the modification was needed for the grips to fit. The lock is on backwards sending the movement of the gun into your hand instead of the barrel. This keeps the barrel from dipping down if you can't muster up the follow through needed to control a flint with a forward facing lock. Weights are attached underneath the barrel because the gun is on the light side.

These guns are the ones I chose because they were the easiest ones for me to learn how to shoot good, quickly. They fit my hand, minimal recoil, and aren't a boat anchor. Green mountain barrels too if I remember right.

Back