Show off your Cowboy Gun Combos

drobs

Here's mine:
10188098846_c8e724b790_b.jpg

Rossi M92 357 mag
Uberti Hombre 357 mag

OK

Here are my usual Main Match pistols, a mismatched pair of 2nd Gen Colts, 45 Colt:

SecondGens_zps1cfdcbb0.jpg

Here is my Uberti 1860 Iron Frame Henry, 44-40.

Henry07_zps6828738f.jpg

And here is my Stevens 12 Gauge Model 250 Hammer Gun, made around 1906.

IMG_0360_hammer_sized.jpg

For something a little bit different, here is a S&W New Model Number Three, 44 Russian, made in 1882 and a Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army, 44-40, made sometime between 1880 and 1883.

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20and%20Merwin%20Hulbert%20Pocket%20Army%20half%20size_zpsvowqtqah.jpg

Who Wins?

I'm not sure ANYBODY wins who has all these beautiful firearms within such easy access to a thief's hot grubby hands.

I certainly can understand the aesthetic appeal of showing gorgeous arrays of pistols and rifles on the wall, but I can't help but think of their vulnerability.

I myself have many replica black powder fowlers and rifles and a couple original percussion double shotguns on display in my library but the maini reason is because there just isn't enough room for them in my two safes(!)

Maybe it all boils down to where we live - and I live in an increasingly marginal neighborhood - when it comes to our inner paranoia gauges. I just can't say for sure.

Did the threat of theft strike anyone else as they saw all these lovely weapons displayed so openly?

I think of it every day.....

But I also think of wrecking my car while I am driving ten over the speed limit.

Or if at midnight I come to a red light and there is not a soul around, I look both ways and then run it.

Then with tongue in cheek I declare, that speed limit sign, that light was only a suggestion.

We live in a nice neighborhood. All houses at 3000 square feet or more. But we still learn of folks houses being robbed.

I said previously that I work at home most of the time. My actual teaching takes me out of the house only about ten hours a week. But still we hear of folks being strong armed and sometimes injured. Especially old curmudgeons like me.

I keep a 1911 with ten rounds in magazines, a model 92 with eight rounds, and a box of .38 Special with a revolver all in the bedroom which has not route of retreat. So in Virginia I could shoot someone and have little fear of prosecution. (I have plenty of things I could put in a dead man's hand and then affirm later that I was in fear he was going to shoot me.) But I don't consider any of that personal defense, home defense, or anything close because If someone came in, I would probably get so nervous I would:

1. Forget about the loaded pistols
2. Shoot myself accidentally
3. Shoot my wife accidentally
4. Shoot the cat accidentally
5. Empty the magazine into the walls and hit no part of the robbers
6. Be overpowered by the robbers who would take the pistol from me, shoot me and then claim it was self defense.

I do have a habit of taking a pistol, a big pistol which is easy to spot, with me when I answer the door. Then when I open the door, I just say, "Oh, Don't worry I was just cleaning it." I sometimes have the P-64 in a holster when I take out the trash or get the mail.

So for someone posing as a salesman who is actually casing the neighborhood, he could be saying one or the other of two things.

1. "This guy is home during the day and he is packing. Lets avoid this place."

or he could be saying....

2. "This old fart has firearms in his house. This is the first place we hit."

I think about these things every day, but they are not going to force me to forego living my life.

I do realize that I am probably the only forum member who is that fool hearty. Too late to change now.

let's assume DOC has a security system on the house, & none of the guns are visible from the window ;)

I finally put my foot ( & wallet ) down & built a walk in gun safe / loading / storm shelter / fire proof room, after my builder buddies daughter's place ( they are a couple mile country neighbors to our farm ) got their house broken into & the thieves stole all their guns, ammo, & collection of silver ( & all their car keys ??? ) several of the guns were one off custom builds that her dad had passed down to her... 3 years ago, & so far nothing recovered...

we live in a 100 year old farm house, & my main fear is theft, & fire... but reloading for around 75 different calibers means I have quite a powder & primer library, that MRS ( who worries about everything ) was always worrying about, since my old loading room was just off the bedroom...

she sleeps much better knowing everything that can go bang ( except my carry gun, that doubles as a night stand gun ) are locked away in a safe & fire proof place...

I will say, that I wished I would have done it 20 years ago... instead of 3 years ago, as I don't even want to talk about how expensive that much steel & concrete cost... we have a security system on the house, but living in the country, I'm not going to fool myself as to what actual response times could be, & an alarm does nothing to protect from a fire... I will say it was cheaper to build than the collection is worth, & both mine & MRS peace of mind is priceless...

so if you see a picture like this... don't assume it's the corner across from a big picture window... it's just a well disguised concrete room with no windows & a very thick steel door :)

attachment.php

BTW... the guns as they sit in this corner rack, are worth about what it cost to build the safe room... so even though I complain about the build cost, with what I have stored in there, it's been worth every penny :)

Last edited:
MWM...

Good post.

I hope no one took from my last comments that I am recommending that they change their ways.

I am the last person in the world who would tell someone else how to do business.

I would love to built a walk gun room like that. I totally would, slowly albeit, but since my wife and I plan to move on from our current house before my son hits highschool (still have six years), I can't justify the investment. although my catalog of firearms doesn't add up to quite enough anyhow, I know it will as the years go by. but the next home we buy will likely be a pretty permanent residence, neither of our career paths lend to us moving out of Georgia, and I will absolutely shop houses with an add-on in mind. the house I am in now would be perfect for a room like that, we have a finished basement that is just one 700sq foot room that gets used for nothing but my hobbies/exercise and is mostly underground and concrete walled. but the city we live in is just turning to the dumps and, as soon as this place is paid for, we are gone. at the very least I need to consider extra insurance because I would literally cry like a little girl if I lost my stash to some scumbag.

oh yeah, cowboy guns......almost forgot
I've only the one, but I sure do love it, and I couldn't ask for a more enjoyable caliber to reload for in a carbine. wife is dying for a single action BP, buts she want's it silver and flashy, missed out on the pietta's on sale last year, ill try to find her something this year.

by far the prettiest gun I own, even if it is a much flamed braztech

100 yards

SKIZ... I had 4-5 steel gun lockers, a big crate that had FIL's guns we inherited, & guns stashed everywhere, before I built "the room" it would have been a nightmare if we had a break in, or a fire...

absolutely, I could only imagine. I would be super paranoid if I had that much value in guns unsecured. I would lose sleep for sure, and come home on every break I had from work, probably lose whatever hair I have left.

I am pretty organized, one steel safe, a HUGE cabinet from lowes and a few "loose" guns around the house (3). so I have nowhere near the concern you do. biggest fear, of course, is fire and then theft. I always consider insurance, but when I add up the value of my "collection", it's less than the cost of my wife's car, so is the probability/risk/value versus the compounded cost of years of insurance for a likely non-issue worth it to me? still deciding......hell, I don't even carry health insurance anymore, me and my wife have both figured out that we are saving tonnes by paying doctors out-of-pocket(both carry catastrophic for very little, but pays for zero appt's/scripts/check-ups/etc). but like I said, as my collection grows, the value will surely quickly outpace my, either cost of insurance or cost of reinforcements, and i'll will have to decide on which route works at the time.

but I do love your "room", some guys build walk-in humidors or wine cellars, but you are having way more fun than them. sometimes it's not just the cost and security, it's just the awesomeness of having something like that to look upon and maybe even "show-off" sometimes......

Back