Show me your favorite rimfire

HALLAUSTIN

I'm just curious as to who likes what, my favorite was an H001 that I had for many years, still can't figure out how to shrink phone pictures for tfl, but I figured this would be a fun thread to kill some time at work.

I guess the link about is tutorial on paint.

All windows machines include PAINT. Click on Paint and Open the file, select the "resize" option and set to 25% and save-as a new name.

It does not get any easier. If you dont understand me, I am sure google and youtube can explain it better. Or the above link, if it is safe? Links are dangerous, you need good protection if you surf the net and open links. You can go direct to wiki pedia. I am not familar with wikihow. This could be another good resource. I sometimes also go direct to youtube and do a search. Unfortunately for every good sight, there is another that will dump a little spyware on your box with every visit. Or try.

Last edited:
I was not aware that firing line wold host images for the members. This is an excellent benefit. Either this is new or I am clueless or it takes some time to earn the privileged. What ever the case, this will certainly expand my participation on the forum. I hope that is a positive contribution.

It varies from season to season,,,

It varies from season to season,,,
But right now my favorite rimfire is a Mauser es340B single-shot 22.

160101-Mauser-Both.jpg

This is a great example of heavy-meticulous detail-accurate-etc old world manufacturing.

I pick this rifle up and feel like I'm on an African safari with Allen Quatermain.

Aarond

I am down to just three .22 rimfire rifles at this point. My favorite is this CM2 made by Ishvek and purchased many years ago. I not only used it for target shooting, but it did double duty as a pest control gun.

IMG_2638-XL.jpg

IMG_2641-XL.jpg

I can never respond to "favorite" posts because I like them all or I wouldn't own them. But I like this one a lot. At least I liked the original. This is a replacement for the original that was stolen in 1985.

standard.jpg

CZ-452 Military Trainer:

20160925_111727_1.jpg

This is inspired by the .22 rimfire training rifles used to train soldiers in the European armies on before stepping up to an AK-47. Great gun, smooth, beautiful, and dang accurate.

Howdy

My sentimental all time favorite 22 is the little Winchester Model '06 at the bottom of this photo. My Grandfather bought it in Abercrombie and Fitch in Manhattan in the 1930s as a present for my Dad. My Dad had mentioned he wanted a 22 target rifle. His Dad knew nothing about firearms, but worked in Manhattan. Abercrombie and Fitch used to be a huge sporting goods company on Madison Avenue with an entire floor devoted to firearms. There was even a shooting range in the basement. So Pop went in one day and bought the little '06, a classic gallery rifle, for my Dad. When I was about 15 I was poking around in our basement one day and came across the little '06 stashed away in a box. I pulled it out and asked my Dad what it was. He said, 'Well, I guess that's yours now.' It shoots Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifles interchangeably. I used to ride my bike up to the local sport shop and buy 22 shorts for it. I was supposed to be 18 to buy them, but the owner looked the other way. Ah, the good old days. I even set up a secret target range in the basement and used to shoot it when my parents were not home. Years later I found out my Dad had done the same thing. The sad part about the story is the little '06 was not what my Dad wanted, he wanted a target rifle. But Pop did not know anything about firearms and that's what he came home with. I don't think my Dad ever had the heart to tell his Dad it was not really what he wanted.

The bigger rifle is a Winchester Model 1890, made in 1906. Another classic gallery rifle, this one only chambers and shoots 22 Shorts. Just try to find 22 Shorts today.

The Model 1890 has probably had a bazillion rounds put through it over the years and is not very accurate any more, but the little '06 is still as accurate as the day it left the Winchester factory.

model%201890%20and%20model%2006%2001_zpsjrlt5zpy.jpg

I found this Savage Sporter when I was in college in upstate New York back in the late 1960s. Probably more along the lines of what my Dad had wanted. It has a removable 5 round magazine. I had a local gunsmith drill and tap it for a scope mount and he put a nice little 3-6 power scope on it. The trigger is probably not quite as crisp as a modern rifle, but I still have no trouble kicking around tin cans with it at the 50 yard berm. I should see if I can find out when it was made.

Savage%20Sporter_zpsakajw7un.jpg

I found this nice used Marlin Model 39A locally about 15 years ago. This one has regular Ballard rifling, not the more recent micro-groove rifling. Another tack driver.

Marlin%20Model%2039A_zpsv1jy5oe9.jpg

This Winchester Model 61 was made in 1946. I found it in a local shop a few years ago. I shot it for a couple of years in 22 plate matches where I had to get off 8 aimed shots in 15 seconds. I was shooting against guys with 10/22s, and they had no problem shooting that fast. With this pump I was able to get off the 8 shots fast enough, faster than I could with a lever gun.

Model61.jpg

I found this Remington Model 341P Sportmaster last year in a local shop. The P stands for Peep Sight, there was another model that came with an open rear sight. This model was only made from 1936 to 1940. It was in very nice shape, and the bore was perfect. It features an interesting carrier that was designed to lift a cartridge from the tubular magazine to the chamber without tilting the round or touching the bullet at all, contributing to accuracy. I had a lot of fun last fall zeroing in the peep sight to 50 yards. I was even hitting tin cans at 100 yards, not bad for an old rifle and an old guy with bad eyes.

I wonder if this is the rifle my Dad really wanted? I wish I could ask him.

Model%20341P%2001_zpsuqrgoil3.jpg

Peep%20Sight_zpsenxyavxa.jpg

Attention Driftwood Johnson: Would you please measure the front sight on the Remington 341 for me? I need the measurement from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight. I'll dance at your next wedding or sing at your funeral or buy you a cup of coffee.

I have a couple target Anschutz rifles, a Remington 341-P & a Marlin 795 but my favorite is this 780 Marlin & it's also my most shot rimfire rifle.

Attention Driftwood Johnson: Would you please measure the front sight on the Remington 341 for me? I need the measurement from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight.

I'm not sure I can be of any help.

The Model 341P came with a peep sight. There is no dovetail for the front sight, and I assume you are talking about the top of a blade. This rifle has a tubular front sight housing with a slit that accepts different inserts. The housing is screwed to the barrel, there is no dovetail.

Front%20Sight_zpsjyu2rupi.jpg

Do you still need information?

You don't have any inserts you'd be willing to part with, do you?

I should have know by you picture there was no dovetail. And I don't have any inserts & hear they are impossible to find.

Notice the marking on my rifle & then the sights. I thought all P models had peeps. My rifle is drilled & tapped for the peep but the barrel is dovetailed for sights. Go figure.

Howdy Again

My understanding was that the Model 341 came with a dovetail for a conventional rear sight as yours has and the 341P came as mine is, no dovetails at all, with the peep sight installed. However I am not an expert on these, mine is the only one I have ever seen. The barrel markings on mine seems to be slightly different than yours.

Who knows what variations they may have made, I certainly don't.

Barrel%20Markings%2002_zpslcrarlws.jpg

Bolt%20Handle_zpsslfrc3br.jpg

So, am I correct in assuming that measuring my front sight housing will not help you?

Your sight is different than mine. My barrel is drilled & tapped for a sight such as yours but I believe someone cut the dovetail later. This rifle was given my wife after her home was destroyed by a tornado in Arkansas. And by the way I'm no expert on these rifles neither.

Rem 504. They had a bunch with bad barrels, but this one SHOOTS!

I pillar bedded it, tuned the trigger a bit, and free-floated the barrel.

Attachments

• 504e (640x480).jpg
    504e (640x480).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 504a (640x480).jpg
    504a (640x480).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 30
Back