Shoulder holster -- I must start using one and need suggestions

Gene Pool

Gentlemen,

I have been carrying OWB for years, however I have developed hip problems on the right side and a belt of any kind creates a lot of pain. I never thought much about carrying in a shoulder holster until now. But it appears it is my best available option.

What I need is a holster for my Glock 19 that is comfortable enough to wear all day, and it must be available now. I can't wait weeks on a custom one to be made. I want one where the holster is on one side and mag pouches on the other to balance the weight. I have been using a friends Galco rig. It is OK, but the leather straps are only about 1" wide where they go over the shoulder and that causes some discomfort after 7-8 hours.

I am hoping someone with experience in carrying in a shoulder holster will have suggestions for me.

Thank you in advance,
Gene Pool

Water-Man, Thank you for the suggestion. The pictures look good. Have you personally seen the quality if this rig, or do you have one? I am trying to determine if it is as good as it appears in the pictures.
Thank you,
Gene

Used an Uncle Mikes occasionally in the Queen's Service(BHP, but fits any 4 or 5 inch pistol). 1" width nylon shoulder harness affair that's light and comfortable. And inexpensive.
What kind of discomfort? Having anything weighing about 2 pounds hanging off your shoulder will become uncomfortable in 7 or 8 hours. Worse if you have damaged tendons etc.

With Water-man's comment, and talking with the maker himself, I ordered one of these:

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

It should be here in a few days--perhaps Monday. The maker (his name is Robert) sounded like he knows his stuff. He has been in the business for several years, and some of his customers are noted here in Texas as experienced gun carriers. When I receive the holster I will followup with a review. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Gene

I am in the same position, I'm looking at the Galco lite shoulder holster for a Sig 226, my weapon is a S&W 4566 same frame shape as the p220 & p226. Lower back problems, heavy firearm in a waste holster is uncomfortable. S&W 36 5 shot 2" no problem, anything heavier I go with a shoulder rig.

I like the Galco Jackass. It's light, adjustable, and isn't really expensive.
Some people question the wisdom of horizontal shoulder holsters, since it results in sweeping everyone behind you with a loaded gun, but it hasn't caused any problems, real or imagined, for me.

RickB, went with the Gould & Goodrich B804 in black. Was on sale $ 101. 58 shipped. My S&W 4566 has a square trigger guard, hard to find a holster, the Sig 226 same frame shape, it holds the 4566. My hip holster is a Bianchi in Sig 226. The weight on one side brother's my lower back. The 4566 is a tank, all Stainless Steel other than that its a great auto.

I also have tendonitis on the left rear hip. I was considering the suspenders that attach on the sides after seeing a competitor using one.

For those of you who are following this thread, please note that I have posted a followup thread on the same subject.

Thank you,
Gene

Back