Should I trade my Pre-B for a new production CZ-75B?

Skarekrow88

I've got a 1982 CZ-75 Pre-B that I picked up from Classic Firearms years ago. I love to shoot and shoot it quite well. Its got a good bit of character which is fine with me but I have only been able to find one magazine that will work in it (18rd SP-01 mag).

Functionally the gun seems to be ok as of right now and has no real issues except that if you even breathe on the magazine catch/release the magazine will drop. I imagine that its just really worn. It hasn't been an issue for me when shooting it but a friend of mine, who is left handed, unintentionally dropped the magazine a couple of times because I'm sure his hand was hitting the release ever so slightly.

I know that finding parts for the Pre-B is kind of a nightmare as the B models dont have many (if any) compatible parts to my knowledge.

It probably isn't too far away from needing a new barrel as its pretty beat up around the crown and the rifling seems to be quite worn albeit still there. Based on my research a new barrel wont be an easy fix either because B model barrels require fitting to fit in a Pre-B.

Would it be worth it to just replace the magazine catch (if I even can) and just keep enjoying the pistol or would it make sense to sell/trade it for a new production CZ-75B or maybe an SP-01?

Last edited:
If it were me, then I'd sooner take the expense of having it refitted than trading it off for a newer production model, which sounds like a recipe for regret.

Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom are the names you need. They can probably figure out how to make her sing again. Neer get rid of a pre-B, but certainly you should buy a B too!

Magazines aren't too hard to find. I have a Pre-B and it takes newer production Mec Gar mags. Finding the old surplus Pre-B mags could be a chore. I have a Pre-B, transitional and B model. The transitional won't take all the mags that the B will, but more than the Pre-B.

I had two Pre-Bs and a B "Retro" model. I much preferred the Pre-B guns, and would be reluctant to sell or trade for a B model. Were it mine, I would repair the Pre-B.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was already sort of leaning towards keeping it anyway. Years ago I sold an old Beretta 92S to help pay for a new production Brigadier Inox. I like the Brigadier well enough but I still want to kick myself for selling the 92S when I think about it.

I’ll give Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom on Monday to see if they can help me figure out getting the barrel replaced.

I’m going to order a new recoil and hammer spring from Wolff. Does anyone know if the magazine catches for B models will fit in Pre-B’s? I’m sure that would be a good question for CGW or CZ Custom but if anyone here knows that they are compatible I can go ahead and get one ordered.

The "mag catch" of the Pre-B is not the issue at all. The Pre-B mag well is actually a tiny bit narrower than the "B", and most "B" mags get stuck up near the top of the well. I have 6 mags for my Pre-B, 4 of which fit from the get-go, and 2 that needed a bit of sanding to fully enter and lock.
I would definitely keep the Pre-B around.

I've got a 1982 CZ-75 Pre-B that I picked up from Classic Firearms years ago. I love to shoot and shoot it quite well. Its got a good bit of character which is fine with me but I have only been able to find one magazine that will work in it (18rd SP-01 mag).

Functionally the gun seems to be ok as of right now and has no real issues except that if you even breathe on the magazine catch/release the magazine will drop. I imagine that its just really worn. It hasn't been an issue for me when shooting it but a friend of mine, who is left handed, unintentionally dropped the magazine a couple of times because I'm sure his hand was hitting the release ever so slightly.

I know that finding parts for the Pre-B is kind of a nightmare as the B models dont have many (if any) compatible parts to my knowledge.

It probably isn't too far away from needing a new barrel as its pretty beat up around the crown and the rifling seems to be quite worn albeit still there. Based on my research a new barrel wont be an easy fix either because B model barrels require fitting to fit in a Pre-B.

Would it be worth it to just replace the magazine catch (if I even can) and just keep enjoying the pistol or would it make sense to sell/trade it for a new production CZ-75B or maybe an SP-01?

You have one magazine that works. One.

Retire it, or let it go.

The "mag catch" of the Pre-B is not the issue at all. The Pre-B mag well is actually a tiny bit narrower than the "B", and most "B" mags get stuck up near the top of the well. I have 6 mags for my Pre-B, 4 of which fit from the get-go, and 2 that needed a bit of sanding to fully enter and lock.
I would definitely keep the Pre-B around.

I’m aware of the magazine fitment issues of the Pre-B and the reasons for such. As I said in my initial post I have found one magazine (18rd SP-01) that will fit and function in the gun. Despite it fitting and functioning in the gun the magazine catch will drop this magazine with very little pressure and movement. I’m hoping a new magazine catch will remedy the problem as it should have more material than the old one that’s in it now. I just need to know if magazine catches for the CZ-75B will work in a Pre-B

Trading is idiotic

A pre b is worth more than a new production model on the open market, so sell it and buy another.

I have a pre “B” and I just bought a half dozen mags for it from CZ. Not cheap by any means, but they work flawlessly and it was worth it to know that I had the right ones.

IMG_9745_Fotor-XL.jpg

I have a pre “B” and I just bought a half dozen mags for it from CZ. Not cheap by any means, but they work flawlessly and it was worth it to know that I had the right ones.

Which mags did you order specifically? Mind posting a link or a UPC number?

The pre B models are all over the place in terms of mag fitment, just cause mine or someone else's can take new mecgar mags doesn't mean yours will.

The internal dimensions are smaller on pre B guns.
You want mags that fit just buy SP01 mags as they are already slightly smaller in size.

By the looks of your mag brake, I'd say that's the cause of your mag drop issues. Leave the brake out, does it still have issues dropping mags? If not buy a new mag brake.

Back