Should I scope my Enfield Iashapore or trade/sell it?

farmboy

I have an Enfield Ishapore 7.62 x 51 that I picked up at a gunshow a few years ago. The stock was nearly crumbling away as I took it home, and I wasn't sure there was much I could salvage for my hard earned $100, but I took a shot.

I dumped the old stock, scraped off the paint, and slapped on one of those cheap plastic stocks like ATI or some such. I purchased a Mojo peep sight, and tried to sight it in, but it shoots way, way low.

I was considering have it drilled and tapped and throw on some economy grade mounts and an old Bushnell scope I have lying around. I thought it would make a nice beater rifle, but........

Would I be better off just selling or trading it off for a more modern gun?

Any/all opinions welcome.

Last edited:
Yeah, the stock was just.....done. It just flaked away as I tried to clean up, if I remember correctly. I started with a little Dawn in some warm water, and it just plain crumbled away in my hands. A little hard to describe.

So, wood on the stock is no good. That takes away quite a bit from the value. Unless it was just the finish (shellac, possibly, very flaky/chip prone finish that is moderately shiny). Your could at the very least break even. I could maybe see $150/$175 Max if you take it to the "right" person. If the stock is salvageable, $200, but it most likely isn't.

However,

Sporterizing (however much I disapprove of it) may be a valid-ish Option for this one. How does the gun print? 3", 4"? That's about the max I would take for a beater gun. Of course if it does that with irons, expect it to improve with a scope somewhat. I can't really explain why it may be shooting low unless the front sight had been filed or the adjustments on the sight were off/incorrect.

I am by no means an expert in Enfields, and you may take my further suggestions with a grain of salt, I have heard reports that some of these rifles were not safe to fire high pressure .308 loads out of (one of the reasons you might consider selling it and saving for a better firearm). Not trying to discourage you or knock your choice, I just have heard of some receivers stretching due to the .308/7.62 NATO difference. Obviously 7.62 NATO would be fine. Further research may be required and I suggest it. I'm sure someone else can share some information.

Whatever your decision, good luck.

Regards,

-Mo.

I guess it depends on what all you expect out of the rifle. Or what you think you can sell it for.

In the end it's your decision. If it was mine and it shot fine I would make it custom to myself. If it sucks I could probably buy a cheap savage to fill its place.

i have a mk4*1 in .303 full military that i put a no drill mount (B square) on. it mounts into the stripper guide and braced on the againist the front reciever ring. the rifle will shoot 2.5" or better at 100yrds with a 2.5x scope and good ammo. better than i expected. eastbank.

The stock is replaceable if the action and barrel is in good condition. Collectors look for the "original" look, but can find an alternate original stock (that does not require a serial number) and marry the two components for originality. I would think it's all about the condition of the action and barrel that determines the value, and if not so good for value, I'd sporterize it and put a scope on it for fun.

No drill no tap mounts exist for both the No1(SMLE) & No4 actions.
Replacement stocks also.
It is going to come down to an opinion (& we all know about them):D

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the Indian made Enfields in 7.62 NATO were made for the civilian market. Did India issue these?

Tony

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the Indian made Enfields in 7.62 NATO were made for the civilian market. Did India issue these?

From Wikipedia:

The Rifle 7.62mm 2A/2A1 (also known as the Ishapore 2A/2A1) is a 7.62mm NATO (7.62×51) calibre bolt-action rifle adopted as a reserve arm by the Indian Armed Forces in 1963.

They were originally made for para-military forces and they have been seen on TV in the hands of police during crises situations in India. The Indian Army at the time was armed with Indian-made FAL's and the desire was to have ammunition commonality among the army, military reserves, militia, and police. When the Indian Army went to the INSAS and other rifles in 5.56mm, the Indian government sold the 7.62mm 2A and 2A1 rifles on the commercial market.

They are basically the same as the old Rifle No. 1 Mk III (SMLE) with modifications to handle the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge. Supposedly the steel is better than on the old British and Indian rifles, though.

Jim

Back