Should I re-barrel my swede?

Andrew Bornman

I have a very nice looking Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, the only problem is that it doesn't shoot well. I get dinner plate sized groups at 75 yards. According to the metal disk on the stock the barrel is in condition 3 and the rifle has been stamped with 3 crowns behind the trigger guard which I believe indicates that it has been rebarreled 3 times. Should I have this rifle rebarreled again? If I rebarrel what kind of accuracy should I expect??

Note that when I clean the bore all the patches come out green from copper fouling and when I look down the bore it is dark and not shiny. I clean with #9 on a bronze brush followed by a cloth patch over the brush. I have spent many many hours scrubbing the bore with no success.

Andrew

Andrew, rebarreling with another Mauser barrel may or may not help your rifle. I can probably accurize the rifle as it is. But if you go to the trouble of rebarreling I would go with a commercial bbl but that really depends on the accuracy you are looking for. I'd be happy to talk it over with you. Just e-mail me. George

I am interested in this post also, due to the fact I am working on a M38. It has a class 1 barrel on it and shot quite well 6 years ago, but it was left in a closet and got a good case of surface rust. I am going to take it out this weeekend and try her out. If it does not shoot well, where can I get a military dimensioned barrel for it, or am I going to have to have one machined down. It is has sentimental value and I want to leave it with the original stock, so a target contoured barrel is out.

Back