Should I put a peep site on my new lever action 30-30?

Bob S

Well, after several questions about 30-30's on this forum, I finally broke down and bought my new gun. Its a Marlin 30-30 model 336CS. I really love it! Now the Big question..The only negative I see is that the sights arent the best. Should I get a peep site? If so, which brand is best? (Note: I do not want a scope... not on a lever gun) Any suggestions would be great!

My first impression is that you are going to use the rifle for deer hunting. This would, in my opinion, also indicate to me that the open site, buckhorn, would be better than a peep site.

The peep site limits your field of vision to some extent, and for up and running shots may hinder your ability to get tgt acquisition.

HJN

A major consideration is the shooter's eyesight. A lot of folks who have some age on them simply can't achieve the rapid change in focus needed for accurate shooting with the middle sight. For those people, the rear peep will be better. Some shooters buy the largest diameter insert they can or simply remove it altogether, creating a "ghost ring" effect. (I was slightly astonished to find that the "ghost ring" was being touted as a new concept; the idea goes back at least 100 years.)

Jim

He also might be hunting 2 legged varmit as well, inwhich a faster ghostring site might better suit him.

The only 30-30's I own that do not have peep sights on them are in collecter item status, with the exception of a Winchester model 54. It has a factory installed peep.
My Marlin is scope equipped because I use it for accuracy testing.
Paul B.

Answer: YES, you should.

Which? Well, I love the Lyman receiver peep, because it's so easy to set, but in all honesty, the cheapest Williams peep will do the job as well, once you have it sighted it. This will set you back about $36, and many gunshops will install it free. If they won't, hey, nooo problem-- just get yourself some red Lok-Tite and do it yourself; it's easy. You'll want to remove the factory rear sight, but go ahead and save it, in the odd, weird, unlikely event that you actually shoot better with the factory open sights (less than 1 in ten do...).

BTW, you might consider a trigger job on it, too. I've found that the new '94s and 336's lately have a pretty tough trigger that any competent gunsmith can smooth out and lighten a tad for under $40 (around here.) While he's at it, he can stick on that receiver peep for you, usually for free, if you'll buy the sight from him. With a peep and a good trigger, these rifles are extremely easy to obtain good offhand practical accuracy.

One of the neat things about the Williams peep sights is that they're threaded to take a variety of apertures, should you choose to do some finer shooting in good light. You will find, however, that you can usually shoot as well with the "ghost ring", which is a much faster acquisition of target, and is more appropriate to this kind of rifle. Some don't like the fact that the ghost rings aren't "stock". This is a fact. They are NOT, however, incorrect for the period of the rifle-- many, MANY good riflemen were so equipping their lever actions in the late 19th century.

-------------
BTW, CONGRATULATIONS! It's always nice to get another rifle, but you've got yourself a classic.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 05, 1999).]

Bob. I highly agree with Long Path in recommending a peep sight. Scopes completely spoil the handiness of a lever gun. I have 2 Winchester M94's (trappers). One is in .45LC and one in 30-30. I put the little Williams 5D economy sight on both. The Ashley is less bulky and more fashionable right now. However, it costs considerably more than the Williams. And as Long Path pointed out, once zeroed, it's just a ring at the rear end of the gun.

The only thing you have to remember about using a peep is, that once it is zeroed, forget about it. There is no aligning front and rear sights or any of the other "mental dialog." Just look through the rear and get a clear image of the front. Your brain will automatically center the front sight. Put that in the middle of your target and fire. Simple.
I find that most people who have trouble with peeps are trying to get everything aligned "just so."

Generally, the smaller the aperture, the more precise your aiming (and groups) will be. However, the smaller the aperture is, the longer it will take you to find that front sight. This is not a good thing in many situations. Find a happy medium that works for you. Try it in low light, and adjust accordingly.

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

[This message has been edited by sharpsrifle (edited September 06, 1999).]

while on the topic of peep sights, i've heard that the williams sights are not as tough as the ashley sights. it was said that they wouldn't hold their zero and were kinda fragile. anybody with a williams experience any of this? i was thinking about putting them on a couple of rifles i have. any thoughts?

------------------
(O!!!!O)

Longhair. I can't speak for others, however my Williams sights have given excellent service. They are larger/bulkier than the Ashley. And it is constructed of aluminum. In a test of ultimate strength, I imagine that the Ashley would win. Ashley's do look nicer on the gun. I just wished they weren't so durned expensive. :(

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

Sharps that's my deal. Ashley's cost way more than the Williams. But I guess you kinda get what you pay for. It's good to know that yours is holding up good, I may give them another look. Like my 'ol granpappy used to say, a poor man got poor ways! ;) Thanks for the info..

------------------
(O!!!!O)

I have finally ID'd the sight on my $50 .22 Marlin 80 and it is a Williams. It is not snag-proof, but even though it is closer to a ghost-ring in size, at 25m I can make <1" group reliably. Given that my eyesight isn't great and the rifle is an old beater, that is not bad. I could not do better than 3" with open sights on a 10/22 at the same range.

I have the williams 5D's on my 30-30s. Wish now I'd spent the money for better ones. The elevation is easy enought to dom but the windage can get tricky, and is a trial and error thing.
Funny thing. When I installed the sights on my 94, and my son-in-laws 94, we then sighted the rifles in about two inches high at 100 yards. We went out the other day and both guns were way off windage wise, and his was off on the elevation too. When I also checked out my Marlin 95 out, it too was way off, windage wise. Think I'll hunt around for a bunch of Lymans. I never had problems using those.
Paul B.

My brother has Wild West Guns lever rifle sights (available from Brownells) on his 1895 Marlin. Like other aperture sights, they're quick; and heavy duty to boot. I don't think you'll regret going to peep/rear aperture sights.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back