Should I have by barrel re-melonited?

Phoenix54c

Hi,

I have an M1A that I'm trying to put together. I submitted the barrel for QPQ melonite treatment before it was installed and head spaced to the bolt. This was a mistake...the gunsmith had to order a special reaming bit to cut through the hard melonite.

Anyway, it's now installed, but obviously the reamer removed some of the melonite, and now bare metal is showing. I am contemplating whether I should have the gun treated again so that this area is once again coated.

However, from what I can see, only the metal behind the throat was removed (where the neck of the bullet would sit).

I am wondering whether this area is really subject to much wear at all. If it's not, I might just forego meloniting it entirely.

What do you think?

It is your gun and you are the one that has to decide if it is worth having the job done (re-done). Typically the neck doesn't wear like the throat does as it is protected by the cartridge.I would not worry about it but I am a hunter and don't put more than a couple hundred rounds through my rifles in a year.

Back