Should I Get Scope Covers?

Fremmer

I bought a new Leupold scope. I'll have it mounted on a .308 for deer hunting. Hunting terrain includes wide-open fields, as well as thick timber with lots of brush, prickley-throny things, and low hanging branches.

Some of the guys I hunt with have scope covers (e.g. Butler flip-up), and some don't. I've been using the cheap Tasco w/out scope caps for the last 6 years, and even after repeatedly walking through some really thick timber, I've never scratched a scope lens. Maybe I'm just lucky.

My question is whether I truly need scope covers. I can't imagine having them closed while walking in the timber (or anywhere else) -- it would just be another thing to have to disengage (besides the safety) when I only have a couple of seconds to take a quick shot. I would appreciate your opinions about this.

Should I get the scope covers?

Scope covers will not only keep your lenses on that expensive scope from being scratched but will also keep them clean. They are awful hard to see out of though so I would suggest taking them off when you are hunting:D

I would say yes, not because of lens scratching, but just to keep them clean and dry. If you want to make it as simple as possible, maybe just get one for the front end of the scope, where it's most likely to accumulate water and detriment?

Definetly YES,

I use the Pull-Over caps that are clear on both ends and hardly ever remove them as they are see-through. I tried the Flip-Opens for a while but got tired of deer running off when they went BOING when I opened them. (OK Only happened once, but that was once to many) haven't had that happen with the see-throughs.

PS

FF
Evidently I Lied to you on the thread about Honobia and Three Rivers.
I had a game ranger here locally tell me that the state has no control over them any longer, and the owners have closed the land to the public.

Sorry bout dat !

Do not shoot while looking through the clear scope covers !!! There was some years ago an interesting test of these type covers . They distort the image and your shot will be off !! Easy to test, just sight in the gun without covers then put on covers and see of the shots impact the same place !!

The covers I have are made from glass and don't distort. I got them from a hunting shop in Dallas years ago.
I've shot with them, and without them, and they don't make any difference in how bad I miss.
Seriously, if I were going to use them, mete is right, the plastic ones will distort the point of impact, so look around and get some good ones made from glass.
The best thing about my covers isn't keeping my lenses clean or even keeping sctracthes down, but is the problem I have on very cold days with breathing on the back of my scope before a shot.
If I forget and breath on the scope it causes it to fog up, and with the cover, I can simply pull it off and still take a shot.

Yes. Not only for protection against scratches on the lense, but to keep fog and mist from accumulating on the lense going to your stand. Nothing worse than finding out in that five or six second shooting window, for it to dawn on you that the reason you cannot see that deer, is because you need to wipe off the front lense from mist.

Scope covers are cheap insurance for $250 and up scopes, but IMO they should be used on more inexpensive scopes as well, for the reasons mentioned above. The Butler Creeks flip ups are convenient and I don't see any downside to investing $12-15 to use them.

I agree with all the above. I have the Butler Creek flip ups on all my rifles.
On occassion I have had one fall off, especially while trudging through thick brush. Just be alert and check once in a while to make sure both covers are there as you walk.

I have used the Bushwacker see through for years they dont make a noise when you flip them and if you need to you can shoot looking through. Cheap to buy and rubber sleeve grips onto the scope fine, if its a bit slack, a rubber band or rubber tape does the trick.
http://www.quakeinc.com/optic.html

Biggest thing is if the weather is bad and front lense got water drops and dust on you can't hit a barn door.

Leupold covers

Leupold makes covers much the same as camera lens covers for scopes that are great. If you scratch one buy another . no clip up or rubber band type covers to remove ,ready to go all the time.they screw in and you leave them there. just under a hundred bucks but worth it on an expensive scope

Sounds like scope covers are in order. Thanks!

Second question: the variable power ring on this scope is really stiff; it takes a considerable amount of twisting to get it to move. Is this something that will loosen up a little bit over time?

It depends on what you consider "stiff" all my Leupolds are somewhat firm to change power on. I'ld go to your local shop and compare other Leupold, if yours is drastically different send it back to Leupold. They are great to deal with and their's is truely a no B.S. lifetime warranty. For that matter, if you just bought it, the place you bought it from may take care of you and get you shooting right away without having to wait for it to go out and come back from the factory.

I use the Butler creek pop open caps on my rifle. On the back one, I have added a little cheat long range tables for my 300 mag. I couldnt get the text to show up on the photo, but, it is there. I started at 200 yards, went every 50 yards all the way up to 500 yards. I added drop in inches ( for "KENTUCKY WINDAGE" shooting) and MOA adjustment for shooting stuff like JAckrabbits at 500 yards. I figured that was the best place to put a range card, and be able to see it, and keep it safe. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

• Caps0002_1.JPG
    Caps0002_1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 32
My take is a little different than most....prefer not to hunt with them. The only time I do use them is in snow or rain conditions. Nothing worse than missing an opportune shot because snow/ice/mosture blocked your view.

If your lay down shooting the little red push button nicely pokes you in the face on the butler creek plus they pop when opening, threw mine in the trash.

Back