Should I get a new Colt Cobra now or wait for the King Cobra?

chaim

Now that the Colt Cobra has been out for a while, I'm thinking about buying one. I love the idea of something bigger than a J-frame, but still small and concealable. I don't trust my 2" Rossi 461 due to problems I've had with it and I don't trust my 3" Rossi 461 due to problems I've had with the 2". I have two 5-shot small frames (a Taurus 85CH and a S&W 442), but 6 rounds really is the bare minimum I feel comfortable with. I do sometimes pair both my 442 in my pocket and 85 IWB together, but since I can't carry in MD and only carry out of state on a non-res UT permit, it is pretty inconvenient to do 2 guns for a day trip (I am more likely to do this when actually on vacation or a weekend trip). It has been out long enough that any bugs have been worked out, and from all I hear there are few/none, and the trigger is terrific.

The soon to be available King Cobra just may stop me though.

I love a 3" barrel in a self defense revolver. With the size and weight of these guns they are just a little too big and heavy for pocket carry in either barrel length, so I would just carry IWB anyway so the extra inch isn't a big deal from that perspective. However, the extra inch of sight radius can make a big difference in practical, real world accuracy, and it also makes a difference ballistically (the velocity difference may not be huge, but it is enough to make the round a little more likely to expand and penetrate adequately, and will give it just a little more power as well). The 3 extra ounces will help with recoil dampening for quicker sight recovery and follow up shots. I've always thought a 3" K-frame was the perfect all-around and CCW revolver, and since they aren't made anymore (and I want to protect my 65LS since it was my first .357mag and thus has some sentimental value) the small framed Colt may be a good substitute.

The .357mag chambering isn't as big a factor. I do love the caliber, and I like the versatility. However, in a 28oz revolver, I doubt I'd shoot much .357mag at the range, and for regular self defense (whether CCW or when using it for home defense) I usually go for .38+P. Though, the option of magnum loads when camping, fishing, and engaging in other outdoor activities would be nice (when the blast, noise, and potential overpenetration of the magnums isn't as big a deal).

I'm quite sure I will eventually get the King Cobra, and since either gun would be an IWB gun I doubt the 2" would get much use once I got it. However, it isn't available yet (I don't think it is anyway). Once it is, I'll probably give it a year or two to make sure there are no issues (I don't want to be an $800 beta-tester). I could get the Cobra now, lose a little money, but use it to trade when ready to get a King Cobra. But then, who am I kidding? It has been many years since I last sold a gun, and then it was actually a gun I liked at a time I needed the money. I haven't even been able to bring myself to sell guns I don't really like and haven't shot in years for quite a long time now (I still have the previously mentioned Rossi's), so I'd probably end up with both, with the Cobra getting little use once I got the King Cobra.

Oh, one additional thought:

Previously, I had been considering the Kimber (considering is a bit too mild a term). However, the prices were very similar, now, the versions without night sights are about $200 apart (with night sights it is closer to a $100 difference in which case I may consider the Kimber). They are also quite different, with the Kimber being smaller and several ounces lighter (better for pocket carry, not as good for quick follow up shots). Though, if I go with the Kimber instead, it is different enough from the King Cobra that it would see more use once I had both.

I see 2019 King Cobras on Gunbroker right now but-

“It’s better to do the wrong thing for the right reason than the right thing for the wrong reason.”

None of your reasoning makes sense to me. You carry two Rossi revolvers but have never run out of bullets in a gunfight so 5 is bad, 6 is good. You think 28 oz is too light for .357 and have been using .38 +p for a long time but think you might like to plink in the great outdoors with .357. You have a Smith you like so much you won’t use it, so you think you will use a King Cobra, but actually a Rossi is working just fine. You ain’t dead, are ya?

How about this: “That new King Cobra with the 3” barrel looks like a beautiful revolver. I like the fixed sights. I don’t have anything like it, and it’s a Colt!”

There. Problem solved. Now go order one!

Last edited:
None of your reasoning makes sense to me. You carry two Rossi revolvers but have never run out of bullets in a gunfight so 5 is bad, 6 is good. You think 28 oz is too light for .357 and have been using .38 +p for a long time but think you might like to plink in the great outdoors with .357. You have a Smith you like so much you won’t use it, so you think you will use a King Cobra, but actually a Rossi is working just fine. You ain’t dead, are ya?

Umm, no to just about everything you said here.

My Rossi isn't just fine. I don't trust either of mine and thus never carry them (and rarely shoot them at the range either).

I never said anything about plinking with .357mag. When doing outdoor activities, most of my reasons for going with .38+P for defensive uses over .357mag aren't there anymore. I usually pick .38+P due to overpenetration issues, noise issues, flash issues, and blast issues (the concussion of shooting it indoors would not be fun). Outdoors (and not in town) I wouldn't have to worry as much about any of those issues. Meanwhile, the extra capability of .357mag could come in handy at times (rare, but I'd much rather have .357mag in a bear encounter, but even if attacked by a criminal, I'd rather have .357mag if the negatives aren't as strong a consideration).

Oh, I do use my S&W a lot (I went over 10K rounds through it about a decade ago). It is just that it is used only at the range (its my 1st .357mag so I don't want to have so much wear, especially these days when possible replacements have been in the 4 figures for a while now- on a teacher salary that is not CCW gun territory, though OK for a range gun).

As for the 5 vs. 6 rounds, everyone has a cut off. I don't love only having 6 rounds (so I usually carry a mid-sized auto when I can carry). However, I have decided it is my minimum. Is 6 ideal? No, but it meets my minimum unlike a 5-round small framed revolver.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure I will eventually get the King Cobra, and since either gun would be an IWB gun I doubt the 2" would get much use once I got it. However, it isn't available yet (I don't think it is anyway).

They're available. In another thread in this forum, I explained that I was looking for a revolver for my wife that has the lightest, smoothest da trigger pull on a production revolver that is reasonably affordable. We compared the King Cobra with the Kimber extensively and, while we agreed that both revolvers have very nice da trigger pulls, we both thought the Colt trigger pull was noticeably superior; as light and smooth of a da pull as I've ever experienced-and I've squeezed a lot of triggers over the past half century or so.

The new King Cobra has about everything I want in a relatively compact, s/s revolver for use in self-defense: .357 Magnum chambering; six-shot capacity, full-length lugged, 3" long barrel and, as a bonus, a brass-bead front sight that is easily changed. Though we haven't shot it yet, so far we're very pleased with the configuration, fit, finish and workmanship of Colt's latest serpent.

They're available. In another thread in this forum

Since I initially posted, I found that they do exist now (probably the reason for the steep drop in price for the Cobra). Locally, they are north of $1000, but there are online sellers in the $800-850 range. Not a great time for that kind of expense right now since I'm moving this month (even moving to another rental takes a lot of cash), but I guess that is what credit cards are for (or I guess I could wait until I thought I'd have to wait anyway and buy this summer).

In another thread in this forum, I explained that I was looking for a revolver for my wife that has the lightest, smoothest da trigger pull on a production revolver that is reasonably affordable. We compared the King Cobra with the Kimber extensively and, while we agreed that both revolvers have very nice da trigger pulls, we both thought the Colt trigger pull was noticeably superior; as light and smooth of a da pull as I've ever experienced

Hey, that's not helping...OK, actually, yes it is, quite a bit actually...

The new King Cobra has about everything I want in a relatively compact, s/s revolver for use in self-defense: .357 Magnum chambering; six-shot capacity, full-length lugged, 3" long barrel and, as a bonus, a brass-bead front sight that is easily changed.

Me too... To be perfect it just needs 4-5 more ounces, S&W on it (i.e. be a K-frame) and night sights. Can't have everything, and I can probably eventually add a night sight front sight so it can be pretty close.

There is one on Gunbroker that I've had the window open and I'm so close to just breaking out the credit card (a bit over $800 is more than the $550-600 I was planning on with the Cobra). Not sure how long I can resist (or if I want to).

To be perfect it just needs 4-5 more ounces, S&W on it (i.e. be a K-frame) and night sights.

I've got more than a couple of K-frame Smiths and like them, but what makes the new Cobra/King Cobra revolvers special (and "perfect") is that they fill an otherwise unoccupied niche: a well-made, nicely finished revolver chambered in .38 Special/.357 Magnum, not much larger than a J-frame but still having a six round capacity; weighing a recoil-absorbing 28 ounces; having a 3", fully lugged barrel with an easily replaceable front sight and a double-action trigger pull you have to squeeze to fully appreciate.

I suppose the King Cobra is on the pricey side (I paid $879.99 for mine-a brightly polished s/s finished variant) but I think the gun is well worth the cost. My guess is, like most everything else, if you have the time and/or patience to wait for it, the price "on the street" will doubtless be significantly cheaper.

I had an SP101 in 357. While no doubt the 28 ounce King Cobra will recoil less than the airweights and LCPs they are not going to be exactly gentle with 357 rounds.

As I'm sure you know; just because you have a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum doesn't mean you have to use Magnum rounds. I like the versatility a .357 Magnum offers over a .38 Special-being able to use mild wadcutters in the same revolver capable of shooting full-house Magnums and everything in-between.

I went to a new favorite gunshop on the way home (where I bought my used .40S&W SIG P229 last month). They said that none of their distributors have it right now, and to order one (to be delivered when they get more stock) will be $999. They do $60 transfers (seems to be on the low end around here) and there are a couple online for $799 plus shipping...hmm, tempting

Though, I'm still tempted by the Cobra. I like the prices they are currently selling for. If I go with the Cobra, I'd prefer the Night Cobra but it isn't on the MD approved handgun list. However, the dealer I went to today would hold it until approved and submit it for approval if I went ahead and bought one not on the list (the board meets quarterly, if you submit a gun it might make the next meeting, or you may have to wait until the one after, and there is a little lag time after approval until the State Police actually update their list- so I might end up buying the gun and waiting anywhere from 3-8 months to be able to take delivery). Whichever Cobra I went with, I then may wait a year or two for the initial prices to come down on the King Cobra.

A third option is to get the 3" S&W 686 Plus I've wanted for years (but always seemed to have other priorities get in the way). As much as I'd love the extra round, the 28oz King Cobra would make a much better carry revolver (though the 36.8oz 686+ would be much more fun at the range). I could go with the 2.5" barrel without too much velocity loss and cut 2.7oz off the 3" 686+, but I much prefer a 3" barrel. Other than weight, both would add some width over the King Cobra, but not much length (the King Cobra is 8", the 3" 686+ is 8.2", and the 2.5" 686+ is actually shorter at 7.5"). This isn't an 'either or' decision though, only which one to get first since I'm pretty sure I'll get both (they are different enough to justify owning both). Again, if I went this way (as with the Cobra), I'd wait a year or two on the King Cobra until the initial excitement and prices came down.

I had an SP101 in 357. While no doubt the 28 ounce King Cobra will recoil less than the airweights and LCPs they are not going to be exactly gentle with 357 rounds.

I suspect it will be similar to my 3" Rossi 461. Not something I would want to shoot a lot of magnums out of on any one range trip, and it will be mostly loaded with .38+P. However, with the right grips and a lower recoil .357mag round it isn't bad and can sometimes even be fun to shoot, and it has the versatility of becoming a pretty lightweight woods gun when loaded with magnums. Well, similar to my 3" Rossi, but with a great trigger, better fit and finish, and more trustworthy (I can't really say my 3" is unreliable, but my 2" was and as a result I just don't trust Rossi no matter how much I tried with the 3").

Hmm, maybe a little more urgency. I hadn't done any internet research on my Rossi's for quite some time. Out of curiosity I was doing some searching to compare the width of the Rossi's, my Taurus 85, S&W 442, the new Cobra and King Cobra, and the K and L frame S&Ws. What do I find? Several Rossi revolvers (including the 461) have been recalled for safety reasons, like many of the older Taurus polymer pistols, they are not drop safe. My serial numbers are in the serial number range affected. There sounds like a long wait for any kind of help, and Taurus doesn't exactly have a good history with either general customer service/repairs or recalls. Heck, I haven't heard anything on my Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro that was recalled several years ago (I long gave up on getting anything out of it) - for a year or two after I registered I kept getting updates, and then they went silent, now that I'm thinking about it I may call to see what is up. Maybe I can use my 461s occasionally for fun at the range, but I can never carry or sell them (unless Rossi/Taurus does something about the recall). So, any hope that I may come to eventually trust them is gone, and I very much want a 6 or 7 shot CCW revolver ASAP.*

Off to see what some other local gun shops have before I order online.

*Oh, I was starting to consider the possibility of a Taurus 856UL for those (very rare) times I want something under 20oz for pocket carry, and still be able to have 6 shots. I think I'm forever done with Taurus (I was already leaning that way, with the possible exception of one or two of their revolvers). So for a lightweight 6 shot pocket revolver (for those rare times I want that), I'll probably go with a Ruger LCR or LCRx in .327mag, but if anyone can steer me towards a good condition .32H&R mag S&W 431 or 432 I'd be forever grateful.

Last edited:
If I go with the Cobra, I'd prefer the Night Cobra but it isn't on the MD approved handgun list. However, the dealer I went to today would hold it until approved and submit it for approval if I went ahead and bought one not on the list (the board meets quarterly, if you submit a gun it might make the next meeting, or you may have to wait until the one after, and there is a little lag time after approval until the State Police actually update their list- so I might end up buying the gun and waiting anywhere from 3-8 months to be able to take delivery).

I'm not sure what all of this means. What is a "MD approved handgun list?" Maybe Maryland has a much lower crime rate than more liberal states (in terms of gun ownerships) because honest citizens have to wait to get a gun while criminals can't get guns...:rolleyes:

I guess people who want to buy a firearm and who live in states like Ohio that have no waiting periods, no limit on number of guns to purchase at any one time, no restrictions on the type or configuration of legally available guns and have "shall issue" ccw licenses (about half of the states in America now don't require any government mandated license requirements), tend to take our freedoms too much for granted. Sad state of affair when governments don't trust their law-abiding citizens to have the unfettered right to keep and bear arms.

I'm not sure what all of this means. What is a "MD approved handgun list?"

In MD, all handguns have to be on a pre-approved roster of approved guns for sale in MD. It isn't like CA where they have all kinds of "safety" tests to pass though. Anyone can submit a gun to the board for approval, and most guns get approved if submitted (though not all: I'm sure someone has submitted NAA mini-revolvers by now, and only the larger "Earl" has ever been approved). There is a process, and it takes time. The dealer I went to told me about submitting a gun for someone who bought one online that wasn't on the list only to have it take 8 months to be approved. Even putting different grips on a gun already approved may require re-approval if they also give it a new name with the new grips (i.e. the Colt Cobra is MD approved, the Colt Night Cobra is not, though the Night Cobra is also DAO with a bobbed hammer, but even the two tone "Cobra TT" and the polished "Bright Cobra" are not MD approved despite only having a different finish, and an addition to the name).

OK, I'm really trying to make a decision. My list is still the Cobra, the King Cobra, the S&W 686+ (either 2.75" or 3"), or go .327mag pocket gun with the Ruger LCR. Eventually, I'll likely own several of these. A possible wild card is the 3" SP101 in .327mag instead of the King Cobra.

Considerations:

Cobra over the King Cobra (for now). The main advantage here is that I was mentally prepared when I started this to pay the $600-700 (after fees) for the Cobra, but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra $200 for the King Cobra right now. If I start with the 3" gun, I probably won't buy the 2" Cobra, though if I go the other way around I would certainly find uses for the 2" afterwards.

King Cobra vs. 686+. The Cobra/King Cobra is narrower and thus easier to conceal, it is significantly lighter, but I do like the extra round. I definitely would want to eventually own both, but I'm not sure which to start with. I don't live in a carry state, so I only carry a couple times a month when I'm in a state where I can carry on my UT non-res permit. So, while the Cobra/King Cobra would be much better for carry, the 686 will be a better range gun, and the gun will see more range time than carry time. Then again, from the reviews I've seen, the King Cobra and Cobra are quite comfortable when shooting .38 and .38+P, and the King Cobra doesn't even sound too bad with lighter magnums.

Ruger LCR in .327mag. It is a different category, and is definitely not an 'either/or' situation. Just which to get first. Since I very rarely pocket carry, it probably shouldn't even be a consideration. However, I've wanted a .32mag or .327mag for quite some time and haven't bought one yet (and IMO a 6 shot .32mag may be the perfect lightweight snub caliber), so...it is a strong consideration for my current purchase.

Then there is the Ruger SP101 in .327. It is an ounce lighter than the King Cobra and a little narrower so it is an even better CCW gun, while 6 rounds of .327mag is not giving anything up to the .38+P I'd usually load for self defense in the Cobra, King Cobra or 686. Heck, some .327mag loads are comparable to light .357mag loads. From what I read though, it is quite a handful (and very loud) in .327mag, and I'd probably mostly shoot it with .32 H&R mag which is a little less capable than .38+P. And of course, it won't be quite as nice as, and certainly won't have the trigger of the Colt. But still, there is something about it...

Last edited:
My LGS has a new Colt Cobra and a new Colt King Cobra under the counter. The Cobra feels like a great gun. But the King Cobra straight up has the best stock double action trigger pull i have ever felt on a revolver. Unequivocally.
And yes i own a Python, Dan Wesson’s, Rugers, I have several S&Ws, a couple with trigger jobs, one from TK Custom. I’ve dry fired a Korth. And i shoot competitively. I know what a good trigger feels like compared to a stock S&W or an LCR or a Kimber.
The King Cobra (at least the one in the shop) has the best stock DA trigger i have ever felt.
I’ll be buying it shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I'm really trying to make a decision. My list is still the Cobra, the King Cobra, the S&W 686+ (either 2.75" or 3"), or go .327mag pocket gun with the Ruger LCR. Eventually, I'll likely own several of these. A possible wild card is the 3" SP101 in .327mag instead of the King Cobra.

As you've already acknowledged, the revolvers you are considering and debating about which to get first are very much different in configuration, purpose and cost. My advice, for what it's worth, is to pick the one you have the most use for in the here and now. You say you don't carry concealed much or at all, so, for me it seems clear that your first acquisition should be the superb, versatile Smith & Wesson 686+ revolver. The L-frame Smith, chambered in .357 Magnum, makes for a great range/target, hunting and home defense gun and can be carried concealed without much ado. If you are shooting at paper and/or game mostly, I'd suggest the 6" barrel length. If self-defense is your priority or if you want the most versatile configuration, I'd opt for the 4" barrel length.

For concealed carry duty, it's hard to beat the Ruger LCR unexposed hammer variant, chambered in Federal .327 Magnum (not only does this six-shot chambering offer a host of .32 cartridge choices, from mild to wild, but it gives you a 20% advantage in ammunition capacity over the five-shot .38 Special/.357 Magnum models). It's my opinion and experience that the da trigger pull on the LCR is significantly better than the one on a typical J-frame Smith. I do wish the concealed hammer Ruger LCR was offered with a 3" barrel length, especially when chambered in Magnum ammunition.

Finally, even though the Colt King Cobra (I wouldn't even consider getting the albeit cheaper "regular" Cobra instead, chambered in the less versatile .38 Special cartridge, with its 2" barrel length) is more expensive than the otherwise fine Ruger SP101, chambered in .327 Magnum, also having the, imo, more desirable 3" barrel length, the Colt is worth the extra cost, if for nothing else, as Radny97 said, its "best stock DA trigger" ever. The SP 101 has been widely criticized for its notoriously mediocre da trigger pull, whereas, the new Colt's piece de resistance is its smooth and light alternative da pull.

Good luck in your decision(s). :)

You say you don't carry concealed much or at all

I live in MD and don't have a job that makes me special in the eyes of the state, so no MD carry permit. However, I have a UT non-resident permit and being in Central MD I can be in DE, WV and VA often. Just for shopping and entertainment I'm there at least once a month and on average 2-3 times per month. I also do much of my camping and many other weekend trips there. Often, my vacations are there as well (or in other states that honor the UT permit). So, I do carry, just very part-time (a couple days a month, and a few full weekends a year).

Given that I only carry very part-time, that I was on a small gun kick for a few years (i.e. I don't actually need a carry gun as I have several options), and I've found my perfect carry autos that are now my main choices when carrying (a CZ PCR, P01 and 75 Compact) and another that might join those three (a 40S&W SIG P229), I don't really need a carry revolver. However, I am a huge revolver fan. Even though I'll usually bring an auto, I like to have a revolver as an option when going somewhere I can carry. I haven't trusted a 5 shot revolver for some time, though I'll sometimes carry both the Taurus 85CH (IWB) and S&W 442 (pocket) to make up for the lower capacity. I do have a S&W 625MG in .45LC that I sometimes carry in the winter or when camping, but I want something more practical for when I'm heading out of MD and want a revolver. I was hoping the Rossi 461s would scratch that itch, but they haven't worked out.

As for the 6" 686, I'm not a big fan of a 6" revolver. I've had two in the past (a 586, and a 1st year 57), both nice, but I would have preferred a 4". To me, carry or not, a 3" handles about perfectly, a 4" is acceptable, but beyond that they are starting to get a bit muzzle heavy. It is a nice bonus that a 3" revolver gives both good concealability as well as enough weight (if a medium frame) for the range.

Anyway, as much as I'd like to get a .327mag (if nothing else, it is just an interesting cartridge), I'm leaning primarily towards the 3" 686 or the King Cobra right now. If I go with the .327, the LCR makes little sense right now compared to the others (it is very different from the role of most of the others, I very seldomly pocket carry, and when I do, it is usually my SIG P290). The 3" SP101 would be an interesting addition, but I think I'd rather have the King Cobra.

Another possibility (I have a weird tendency to agonize for a while like this over any relatively expensive purchase, and then add new possibilities on whim, and sometimes I end up actually buying something fairly impulsively that doesn't quite fit what I first started with). In my searches, I've found myself eyeing the S&W 627PC. It isn't quite what I'm looking for: 2.6" instead of 3", large N-frame when I was thinking the L-frame may be a little big for what I'm looking for. However, like I said, I sometimes conceal a big 4" N-frame with a full sized grip so a 2.6" with a boot grip should be easier, and 8 rounds of .357mag would be nice to have. It certainly would be a good range gun at 37.6oz (I doubt the loss of 0.4" over a 3" will make a big difference in practical accuracy). It is very different from what I started with so I probably won't go this way (when I veer from my original direction and buy something different on impulse, I usually do so quickly and I've waited about 24 hours since I saw it)...though, it is a beautiful gun in person.

I just have bought my second 4" Python & just had a chance to see & feel the King Cobra 3". I have a slightly smaller than average hand & it fit like a glove. The balance was superb as was the trigger action. Very Pythonese(is this a word?). I feel that Colt has jumped back into the game with an excellent made revolver that betters Kimber K6 & S&W. My thoughts are if you want the best for your SD & also has something that will appreciate, then you pay for it and use it. I realize that $800 to $850 isn't chump change but since I'm not a collector I see the value vs. cost differently.

I can't tell you how many times I had the window open on Gunbroker for the King Cobra and hit 'Buy it Now' or in Buds for the 686 and started the buying process without finalizing it. I almost hit "Buy it Now" on a 2.75" 66 as well (I finally decided that the 7 shot cylinder on the 686+ may be just a little too big for what I was looking for right now- and while it was on my want list forever, I'm now thinking I may replace it on that list with the 2.6" 8 shot 627PC).

I just hit "Buy it Now" on the King Cobra and finalized it this time. I think I'm getting a good deal from the looks of things, $799, though there is a credit card fee (and I'm probably paying by credit card tomorrow when I call the FFL) so that is about another $25. There are a few FFLs around here that are cheaper for transfers (though I rarely see less than $45-50 for handguns around here), but I'm going with a guy I've bought from before and have a pre-existing relationship with so the transfer fee will be $60. So, for less than $890 I'll be getting a gun that would cost at least $1000 to buy locally.

I also ordered a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster (in oxblood) with IWB straps. I'm moving soon, but with the 3-4 week estimated delivery I should be fine (I asked to have it shipped to my new address which I get the keys to on the 13th with a request that he hold off on shipping if he finishes it before then). I'm going to order some VZ grips (I'd rather have a nice set of wood grips, but there aren't that many made for it yet, and I've read of some issues with the available Altamont grips having sharp edges). I'm either going to get the regular texture in black or black/blue, or I'll go with the tactical diamond in black cherry. I am going to wait to order them though, they say it could be as much as 14 days but it could be shorter. Since I'm moving soon, I don't want them going to my new address too early or my old address too late.

Last edited:
Back