Should I buy this Mauser? (2 hours to decide)

DougB

I've been thinking of ordering one of the "Yugoslavian M48 Mauser" 8mm rifles from AIM Surplus (and other sources). They are described as postwar rifles that saw very little use. They come with sling, cleaning accessories, original bayonet, and scabbard. The cost is $99.95, or $129.95 with matching serial numbers. But FFL and shipping costs would add about another $45.

But, for two more hours (I just saw the add this afternoon), I can buy a "German K98 8mm vintage rifle" from Big 5 Sporting goods for $140 ($50 off the regular price). I looked at one earlier today, and it was greasy, but looked okay. They are described as "acquired by Yugoslavia after World War" and include the same accessories plus a leather ammo box.

The pictures look very similar (if not identical). Are these the same rifles? If not, what's the difference between an M48 and an M98? The one I looked at clearly said M98, but most of the serial numbers didn't match. The bore was dirty. I didn't see obvious damage, but it was tough to tell (I'm no expert in this area).

Any advice (expecially within the next hour or so) will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Doug

There is no functional difference between the M48 and the Mauser 98. In fact, some of the M48s appear to be remarked K.98ks, although I have been told the Yugoslavs did also make their own.

The M48s I have seen appear to have decent bores. The 98 could have anything under the dirt. Will they allow you to bring a cleaning rod and at least run a patch through it?

Jim

Gun Parts Corp. imported thousnds of these a while back. The ones I saw were like new. Not a bad price for what you get.

Joefo

I drove to AIM 2 weeks ago and picked up 2 of the Yugo 48's . The only ones they had left were without crests and not as nice as I had hoped , they also were out of ammo for them and that was part of the reason I went there , they had offered a deal on ammo if you bought a rifle . If I had not spent 3 hours on the road to get there I would have passed on them . I got one for a friend and one for myself , after cleaning mine I sold it , it was just not the quality I was looking for . There are some nice ones out there , look them over first if you want to collect them . Even on the "all matching numbers" guns you will find the bolts have been renumbered , they told me they were not but could not explain the extra set of numbers that had been stamped over on the bolt .If you just want a shooter they will all work . Good luck , Mike...

Back