Should I buy an Auto-Ordnance 1911???

What are the good and bad things about this line of pistols. I think Kahr owns them now, because the email address for AO products is directed to Kahr Arms.

It depends on how much you want to spend. If your on a tight budget the Auto Ord. might not be a bad choice. I used to own one. It was perfectly reliable with Hardball ammo, but forget about hollow points without some work. Don't expect a great degree of fit and finish either.

If you just want something to plink at cans with then the AO would probably be fine. However, if your looking for a pistol for personal defense the AO isn't it. In order to make it reliable you'd probably wind up sinking enough into it to buy a higher quality gun.

So like I said, it depends on what you want. You generally get what you pay for.

I agree with 224's assessment.. the truth is that there aren't any bargains in the world of 1911 defense guns. All the cheaper ones need (sometimes serious) attention before they are worthy of being carried for protection... most of the really reliable custom ones cost big $$$...

Check out the Charles Daly 45's.I picked up a new one for 350 and I really like it.I am not a pro on pistols but had some friends check it out that are.They all were impressed at the machining quality and the extras it had on it for the price.

------------------
"No weapon formed against me shall prosper" Isaiah 54:17

Cool, I appreciate the advice. I'll probably continue to look around at the 1911 types. Maybe I can find a used 1911 that has had some work done on it. At this point, I have owned nothing but S&W revolvers. I generally prefer long arms, but I feel the need to buy a 1911. Nothing else will do as far as I'm concerned. I don't want a race gun, or even a custom job. A buddy of mine who is no longer with us, had a 1911 that was stock except for the recoil spring, sights and ejection port smoothing. That's all he did to it. I do believe that it was an AO, but I can't remember for sure. Function over looks is what I want.

I don't know what your budget is, but you can get a Springfield Armory "loaded" for around 500 and in the experience with mine, have a reliable and accurate weapon. I carry mine alot during the winter months.

auto-ordnance was purchased by kahr arms. sources tell me they are heavy into investing the same cnc technology used for the successful k-9/40 series, to re-enter the 1911 market with a much improved 1911 from the auto-ord of old. the first auto-ordnance i shot was the last- the staked front sight disappeared within the first 300 rds through the gun during an action match. i'm curious to see what they'll produce now.
best,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Back