Should footholds be banned?

Should footholds be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

pawcatch

This is not intended to start a flame war.
I won't argue with those who disagree with me.
As a trapper, I want to know if the hunters here think foot-hold traps should be banned.

Last edited:
My opinion is that the only bad aspect of trapping would be that non-professional who would set traps and then not check them daily (or as appropriate; I'm not concerned, here, about trapping in perma-snow country).

So long as the amount of take allows a stable population to continue, I see no particular problem...

Art

I haven't trapped since I was a kid back in Michigan and that was mostly muskrats with occasional "big game" like a raccoon or fox. I thought I knew something about it, but I guess not as much as I thought I did...
I'm now managing a small sporting goods store and a local professional trapper came in and placed a rather large order for leg-hold traps (which we didn't have in stock) for fox. Anyway, I tried to interest him in snares (which we had in stock) instead of the leg-hold traps and he explained to me that at least here in Alaska snares or conibear traps are a really bad idea for trapping unless used under ice. It seems the local eagles and hawks quickly spot any dead critter and unless you're right there on the spot at dawn you'll lose a good percentage of your catch. Of course, live critters in leg-hold traps can defend themselves and are left alone.

It's just something that never would have occured to me. Why trap at all if you can't make use of the animal trapped?

Trapping is an intergal part of American history and should never be banned. In fact it should be protected as a rich American outdoor heritage.

Back