Should arthritics be concerned ...

agtman

... about shooting the 10mm AUTO?

Should they?

I mean, we're all getting older.

Just curious ... :cool:

Last edited:
If it ends up being too much, just get a .40 S&W conversion barrel for your Glock 20. And if you have a 10mm and it's not a Glock 20, you're doing it wrong. :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but as an old guy who ain't into who has the biggest...err...bullet, I will take 1 mm less.

Why would I want to downgrade to a 10mm? I have a .44 Auto Mag, I hot load my 624 and I also have a couple .44 Magnums. Yes If I shot 500 rounds on a weekend my arthritus would get to me but not shooting 10mm.

Each of us has a limit as to how much recoil we can handle which is why I stopped with the calibers that I did. Going larger just makes no sence to me as in a deffensive situation the guns that I have in the large caliber make me think about colateral damage enough.

A 10MM for me wouldn't be a step up, but a step down, and I certainly ain't worried about my manhood.

By the time a 10MM gets uncomfortable for me to shoot, I'll already have given up several other, more potent handguns.

OP, what type of arthritis were you diagnosed with, by a rheumatologist using x ray and blood testing? ie, not just my bones ache.... Rheumatoid is the worst, and osteoarthritis is the most common. I was diagnosed with psoriatic and osteoarthritis 15 years ago, and 64 today, and still being treated with Humira injections, but mange about 300 rounds of 9mm +P+ and about 30 rounds of .357SIG every week. I did shoot a Glock model 20 10mm for a number of years also, but only about 100 rounds a month.

My wrist was injured in an on-duty altercation several years ago. Surgery helped but couldn't really fix it. So now it's arthritic, etc. Prior to the injury I shot 44 mags and my .454 Casull,etc. At the risk of having my man card pulled, I admit that after shooting "real" 10MM ammo or .357 now, my wrist will be sore for a couple days. Luckily, I ordered a .45 ACP cylinder for my .454. I haven't fired .44 Mag in a handgun, or .454, since the incident. I am not concerened, that's just the way it is. I continue to enoy shooting everything up through 45 ACP, 10MM and .357, and will continue ......ymmv

comparison

Dunno, depends on your situation. I don't see the 10mm as the firebreather that it is often claimed to be. There is a tendency to compare the 10mm to the .41 mag, and that is not a truely valid claim. My experience w/ the G20 is that it nowhere near like shooting a "magnum" revolver, to include heavy .357 loads in K type frame revolvers.

Go to a range, rent one if you can.

To me, the 10mm in the G20 feels like a +P .45ACP load, or a .45acp ball in an alloy, lightweight auto. Not that bad at all.

If it is a concern at all don't do it.

You can limit the damage with a heavier gun, rubber grips, and or gloves. But once you have arthritis in your hand or wrist it is progressive.

About ten years ago an older friend told me he could only shoot .22s because of his arthritis. Since I had the start of arthritis at the time, I talked to my doctor who basically said impact is bad.

So I limit what I shoot and arthritis isn't noticeably worse.

I suppose it also depends on the gun you shoot it from. I have a S&W 10 series and it is built like a tank. Recoil feels no different than a .45ACP. So, if you can shoot .45ACP with no issues, you can shoot the 10mm with the right gun.

I've pretty much stopped shooting full power 44 mag due to hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder joint pain. In addition, I don't shoot the 44 as well since I'm losing hand strength along with the stiff, sore joints.
Heck, some days 38+P out of my Ruger SP101 hurts. Guess it's a matter of how much you WANT to shoot the boomer and how much discomfort you can tolerate.

Years ago a buddy of mine let me shoot his Bren 10. Not pleasant to shoot. Quite a few years ago I decided I wanted a Glock 20. Went to a gunshow and found a Glock 20C. Recoil is no worse than my Glock 22, but WOW do you need good ear protection. I touched mine off in the mountains a few years back with zero hearing protection. Situation was handled, but I was pretty deaf for about 30 minutes.

I know agtman:

He's kidding everyone. I know that he shoots 10mm Auto "full power" ammunition as if he's eating hot dogs at a ball park on Sunday afternoon.

And yes, a full power 10mm Auto can, and often does, exceed the power of the .357 S&W Magnum. I have loaded it beyong those levels myself. The shorter barrels, (shorter than 4.5") often needlessly short change our beloved 10mm Auto. The shortest barrels that i hve are a Glock 20 and Tanfoglio (of Italy) Witness. I enjoy my 6 1/2" barreld, non-fluted S&W Model 610. with the proper 180-200 grain loads, I can shoot it at power levels that reach the lower spectrum of the .41 Remington Magnum. I am not sifting "the fly dung from the pepper" either. It is known as judicious handloading.

Back