Shotshells color coded?

well i know most 20 gauge shells are yellow and most 12 gauge shells are red is that what you mean by color coded

Although most 20 ga shells are yellow, it isn't a rule/law that they are. I can't think of the name of the company, but someone out there was making red 20 ga shells. If you accidentally dropped one in a 12 ga gun, then dropped a real 12 ga shell on top of it, you were in a heap of doo doo.

I have red 20, 16 and 12ga on hand. Also yellow, blue, green and black 12s And of course all the brass hulls are brass color.

Color coding just didn't seem to happen. Use head and save hand.

Sam

No code however

Most North American manufacturers make their 20 gauge with yellow hulls to distinguish them from 12 gauge to help prevent a 12/20 burst. This is when a 20 is put into a 12 gauge and slips into the forcing cone. When the gun doesn't fire, the shooter puts in a 12 and then kaboom. I came very, very close to one of these once and the thought still gives me the shivers.

Currently in my assortment of 12 gauge ammo, I have shells that are light gray, orange, dark gray, bright red, dark red, dark blue, light blue, green, gold, off white, transparent and black. All the 20 however is bright yellow and is kept well away from the 12 gauge. The only 20 I've seen that is not yellow was made in Europe.

Do your own coding

My buckshot shells are black. My slug shells are green.

I don't care what color my clay busting shells are, as long as they're in the bag at my side. Buy the brand that has the color you will associate with that type of shell.

Most all shotgun shells are in fact color coded!

The brass end goes towards the back of the gun and the colored end (various colors) goes towards the front. :D

Following this simple color code will vastly improve shooting performance.

. . . sorry, I couldn't resist!

Last edited:
American shotshell manufacturers color their 20 GA shells yellow for safety reasons.European manufacturers do not.

It can be easy to confuse 12, 16 and 20 ga shells. And 28 ga shells can be confused for 20 ga.

I color code my reloads using different hulls for different sizes of shot. Gold for 7.5, green for 8 and red for 9. Have a real problem with 20 ga though, they are all yellow:D (OK who cares!)

Geoff Ross

Back