Shotshell reloading book?

Grant 14

I dont know if I should post this question here or in the shotgun section, but my question is where to get information on matching the correct components for shotshells. I plan on buying new hulls from Midway but having read that wads, shotholders etc. are (or can be) different for different manufacturers of hulls and I cant find any reference to what combination of components that I need. I am only going to be loading field loads in 12 and 20, and only 23/4 inch lengths. Any recommended manuals or links to informational posts???
Thanks ahead of time. Grant.

Personally, I like the data for reloading from the websites of Hodgdon and Alliant.

In 12 or 20 I would go with Remington hulls; in 28 and 410, Winchester AAHS gets the nod.
The easiest way to get a lot of these is at your local trap/skeet club - especially hulls like Remington's Gun Club, which reload great. As long as you do not load some uber hot and fast load, you should easily get 10-15 reloads per hull.

There are a lot of good powders for 12 and 20; pick your hull type, then your load (weight) and those sites will give you primer and wad info. As for wads, I prefer the clone of OEM wads from Claybuster or Downrange. Remington and Winchester are WAY too proud of their stuff.

That Lyman shotshell reloading manual could last a generation!
Its not like a pistol/rifle manual with updates of new cartridges introduced every year,
Gauges aren't.

I second, third, fourth, & fifth Lymans. It has sections for steel, bismuth, and tungsten shot as well as a section for buckshot and slugs.

I use a Lyman 4th edition and the Hodgdon website for most of my lead loads. I recently ordered a manual for shotshells and a second one for slugs from Ballistic Products. Most of what they have loads for is the Cheddite and Fiocchi shells that they sell. I got it for the steel shotshell data.

It looks like Lyman will get ordered. I will also look into the Ballistic Products manual since I may buy Fiochi hulls from Midway. Thanks Guys. Grant.

Well, it is 2 months later and I have the Lyman #5 manual and the Lee Load All for 12 and 20, but most hulls seem to be unavailable. I plan on starting with 20 gauge and Midway has some Fiochi but they identify them as "yellow bag". I go to the Fiochi website and the yellow bag doesnt mean a thing. Trying to determine what wads and powder go with them is confusing. The Lyman manual is not a lot of help when comparing what is actually available and what they have listed. The Lee load chart is not as picky as Lyman. Lee shows different powder bushings for "plastic shells with paper base wad and paper shells" and "plastic shells with plastic base wad or no base wad, such as Win AA, Rem RXP and Federal Champion". Lees book (Modern Reloading) says that their load data is assuming using Federal 209A primers and that any other primer will just give you a little less velocity. It still doesnt list the proper wad for shot weight and powder charge. I wanted to start with new primed hulls, but may have to buy once fired hulls, just to have something that is clearly listed in the Lyman book. I am a bit frustrated. Any ideas or advice? Thanks ahead of time. Grant.

Back