Shotshell over powder card (Smokeless powder)

christcorp

Simple question; I hope. Normally when reloading shotshells with smokeless powder, you simply put the plastic wad over the powder, seat firmly, fill the shot cup in the plastic wad, then crimp it.

I noticed with some clear hulls I was reloading, that some (Not much) of the powder migrated past the gas seal on the bottom of the plastic wad and got in with/near the shot pellets. Again, not much, just something I noticed. These shells has sat for quite a few months since being reloaded.

But noticing it, it made me think that the gas seal may not be as firm as it should. And thus, affect the velocity and such. Now; I've also reloaded quite a bit of BP shotshells where we use over powder cards, some cork/fiber wads, etc. I have a lot of these on hand.

My question is, does it do any harm to add an over powder card over the smokeless powder. The card is very thin. Homemade from cereal boxes. Then, I could put the plastic wad (usually WAA12), fill it with shot and crimp it. I'd think that the over powder card would keep the powder from creeping past the plastic wad into the shot; as well as providing a better gas seal.

Or does anyone think it would negatively affect the pressure too much and be a problems?

Thoughts? Thanks
Mike

christcorp,

Your problem is you're using the wrong wad. I suspect your "clear hulls" are what are called Euro hulls, and therefor are not tapered hulls. The WAA12 wad is a tapered wad designed to be used in tapered hulls such as Winchesters and Remingtons. You should be using a nontapered wad such as designed for use in Federal and Euro hulls. Personally, I wouldn't try what you are suggesting since you have no idea as to the pressure created by doing it. Not a lot of leeway in shotgun shell handloading.

Don

USSR It right on the money . Do not add any thing and i remember when plastic wad first came out . I started shooting trap in 1964

I appreciate the feedback, but I am now confused because of 2 things.
1) I have read in numerous places, that it's totally permissible to use tapered wads in any hull, including straight wall. Yes, there might be some powder that migrates past it, but generally it's not an issue.
2) The load data I looked at, shows powder loads with the waa-12 and waa-12L wads in Winchester WAA, Remington STS, Federal Gold Medal, and Fiocchi hulls. If I'm not mistaken, aren't Federal and Fiocchi straight wall hulls.

Thanks
Mike

Just because some of the shotshell load data lists it as safe, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it unless, of course, you are willing to put up with the powder migration.

Don

Thanks USSR.
Then, can I assume, that if a powder company lists a particular load, with a particular powder, and it shows a wad, like the WAA12/12L in a hull like the Federal Gold or Fiocchi; and they list speed and pressure; that they have taken into consideration that it isn't as tight of a gas seal between the powder and the plastic wad gas seal?

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

That would be be a good assumption. Fortunately, what with the lack of powder and primers, shotshell wads doesn't seem to be affected and are readily available.

Don

I agree, but I have a lot of waa12 that were given to me. I’ve also been given a boat load of once shot estates (which from what I’ve learned are similarly loaded as federal). And being I have plenty of powder for shotshells, and I show load data for the waa12 and federal, I figured I’d use them.

I’ll think it over. Worse comes to worse, I can use the hulls to load black powder shot shells. It’s all for fun and plinking anyway. I have more than enough commercial loaded shells for real shooting e.g. hunting and HD

Thanks
Mike

Back