Shotshell load wanted.

pathdoc

Does anyone know of a load that can be used to throw 7/8oz of shot over a charge of 700X? I've looked in Lyman 5th and the RCBS manual and can't seem to find anything that fits.

I do have other powders I can use for such loads; just wondering if there's something in print somewhere I have missed.

Just use 24 gram load data which is out there. The difference between 24 grams and 7/8 oz is miniscule. With Remington or Winchester hulls it varies between 14.5gr and 18.5gr depending upon the wad and primer used and how much velocity you want. I have been using 16gr with either the CB1100-12 or CB0178-12 wad with Winchester and Remington hulls for about 1200fps for several years now for trap shooting.

Don

Why are you looking at RCBS? Try Hodgdon and Alliant for the bore size and hull and then go for wad/powder/primer

Why are you looking at RCBS? Try Hodgdon and Alliant for the bore size and hull and then go for wad/powder/primer

Because RCBS published a book on shotshell reloading, likely to go with the presses they make for that purpose. When I first got into shotshell reloading I bought both it and Lyman 5th Ed, for as much information as I could.

Just use 24 gram load data which is out there. The difference between 24 grams and 7/8 oz is miniscule. With Remington or Winchester hulls it varies between 14.5gr and 18.5gr depending upon the wad and primer used and how much velocity you want. I have been using 16gr with either the CB1100-12 or CB0178-12 wad with Winchester and Remington hulls for about 1200fps for several years now for trap shooting.

Don

Do you have a printed or online reference source for those loads? Thanks in advance.

pathdoc,

The current reloading manuals don't contain 24 gram reloading data. Here is a link to an older manual that has this info: http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/imr_reloading.pdf.

Don

Got it; thanks.

Unclenick, 7/8 oz is 0.875 oz x 28.35 grams per ounce = nearly 25 grams. It's HEAVIER, not lighter. (Three-quarter ounce is 21.3 grams.) It's PROBABLY safe if I use the lightest load in the table, but I'm not sure I want to risk my hands and face. My job is exquisitely dependent on my eyesight.

Hah! I grabbed my Excel multiple conversion file and entered too fast. Put 0.875 into the inches-to-millimeters converter instead of the ounces to grams converter. Thanks for the catch! You are correct. Typos are another reason you have to double-check everything you see on the Internet. I'm going to delete that post before someone stubs their check weight on it.

Are you using this in a 12 or 20? What hull are you using?

12 gauge, I have Federal high brass plastic hunting-load hulls, Winchester AA and promo-type, and Cheddite hulls available, a selection of Winchester, claybuster and Federal wads, and a mix of Federal and Winchester 209-size primers.

The gun in question is an over/under so there will be no issues with low loads being unable to cycle the action.

I was just on Hodgdon's website, but cannot seem to bring up any such loads which include the hulls I have.

Toss all the hulls you have EXCEPT the Winchester AA’s, get some Claybuster CB0178-12 wads…drop 17gr of the 700x and call it a day. Face and fingers will be OK…

pathdoc,

Nothing wrong with the Winchester promo-type hulls. Same construction as the AA's, just cheaper material used so you will get fewer reloads out of them. My 7/8 oz load in Winchester hulls consists of 16.0gr of 700X, Winchester primer, and either a CB1078-12 or CB1100-12 hull. Hope that helps.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Are you using this in a 12 or 20? What hull are you using?
12 gauge, I have Federal high brass plastic hunting-load hulls, Winchester AA and promo-type, and Cheddite hulls available, a selection of Winchester, claybuster and Federal wads, and a mix of Federal and Winchester 209-size primers.

The gun in question is an over/under so there will be no issues with low loads being unable to cycle the action.

I was just on Hodgdon's website, but cannot seem to bring up any such loads which include the hulls I have.

Federal and Euro hulls take straight wall data and wads; Remington and Winchester AA take tapered wads. US primers work best in US hulls since Euros are metric

Nothing wrong with the Winchester promo-type hulls. Same construction as the AA's, just cheaper material used so you will get fewer reloads out of them.

It was my understanding that they used a different base wad and were straight-walled

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the Winchester promo-type hulls. Same construction as the AA's, just cheaper material used so you will get fewer reloads out of them.

It was my understanding that they used a different base wad and were straight-walled

That's exactly what Winchester did 20 years ago when they dropped the one-piece CF construction of AA's and went with the HS construction. The Winchester hulls are now straight-walled and the taper is provided by the base wad that is inserted. The Winchester Super Targets are not as good as the AA's, but they are a heck of a lot better than the Universals that are pretty terrible.

Don

I've reloaded universals when I was just getting started and had no other WInchester hulls available (and a recipe that needed them). I'll be watching them carefully if I reuse the reloads all that much. Remember, some of us have to make do with not much.

Remington promos

I am a big fan of the Remington promo hulls. A lot of guys shoot them. When the crimp gets too crispy I toss them, I get 6-8 loadings from the Remington cheapos.
Just don't get them wet.

Back