Shotshell cleaning and conditioning

Lhigginsqrb

I’ve reloaded several types of hull and I’m noticing some cycle smoother than others. The batch I made back in 2012 I didn’t even clean. They fired fine after almost a decade of sitting around but I did note excessive smoke. There are a number of potential causes. Moisture getting in or the leftover residue from the original shot.

Anyway I have two questions. What is your go to cleaning method? I’m looking at using my brass tumbler but if it will save on media I may prewash or skip the tumbler.

Also what steps do you take to condition the hulls? I want to ensure a good tight crimp which I may treat with wax. I also want smooth cycling so I’m considering wax or light oil on the entire outside hull. I’ve seen skiving tools on the market and I’m not sure if I need to do that. My uncle had made a tool out of wood to return the crimp Area to a rounded out pre-crimp shape. I’m open to options here to try.

Last edited:
I have never cleaned any hulls in any tumbler or similar' If they are muddy, I wipe them off' if they're THAT bad, they get tossed in the trash. This isn't metallic.
Any decent reloader will have an adjustable crimp including the ability to put a roll for smooth feeding in semis.
No oil, no wax. I have some ammo that I loaded 25 years ago that still goes bang without. any of that

Except, if he is sing hulls with paper base wads, water will ruin the hulls; simply no need to introduce a possible complication when not needed.

"IF" I did anything.... I'd just swirl in a big pot of (dish-)soapy water, rinse twice and dry.
I'm in the same boat. I see tumbling hulls as only causing more issues. If they're not overly crusty, use them, if they are, toss them. But I was given a 55 gallon drum full of Remington sts hulls, so I had a lot to work with.

Feed issues will likely be resolved by adjusting the crimp, and cycling by load.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Lhigginsqrb, I agree with all above. I have Win AA hulls I was given by a neighbor 51 years ago that I still reload and I have never tried to clean them. When the crimp area cracks and they get so dirty you might get embarrassed, toss 'em. The most effort I've ever exerted is using a compressed gas can to blow out the dried vegetation that accumulated from a day in the hunting field.

Cleaning hulls? You've got to be kidding! Nobody that I know who shoots trap cleans their hulls. You simply load them up to 10 times (with quality hulls) and toss 'em.

Don

I shoot in the desert, so most of my hulls get dusty and gritty.
I wipe everything down with a damp towel a day or so before I plan to load.
That's it.

If it's dirty enough to need "cleaning", I toss it.

Somebody's reloading paper-base wad hulls these days?
Federal "Top Gun" hulls and their budget brands use paper base wads. As do some imports.
Get it wet, and you're screwed.
I have had paper base wads out in the air, with good circulation, for over 3 years, and was still unable to get them dry.

Thanks for the answers Guys.

I still can’t get my head around the excess smoke. Almost certainly moisture related. I’m going to make a new batch soon and see if it persists. I’m using hogden longshot powder if that means anything to anyone.

I also use Longshot with Win AA hulls and I don’t notice any excessive smoke however; I don’t treat the crimps with anything (i.e. wax) and they are not decades old.

I also use Longshot ....
Heavy shot loads ?

as to moisture causing smoke... consider that a a modern plastic
case/plastic wad produces a sealed powder chamber.

"Smoke" is most likely undercharging and/or too light a shot mass when using Longshot.

my cleaning method is.........look in hull for spider webs. stick finger in, pull it out if any. blow.
load it. anything else is anal retentive.

Back