shotguns slugs work well on elk sized game?

bullfrog99

just curious, i've reciently shot a whitetail with a brenneke gold 1 3/8 oz slug, and the large buck fell like it was hit with an artillary piece. i was just wondering, would a slug be useful for game larger than big whitetails,
i'm not talking bear, but something in the range of a medium sized elk at 50 yards or so?

You might get more responses on the shotgun BB,Frog.

Capstick wrote of taking Cape Buffalo with Brennekes, but thye're marginal,IMO. As for elk and similiar thin skinned game, they sure will at the ranges they work best in, 50 yards or so,max....

I agree with Dave.
A federal wildlife biologist once told me that when he was working in Alaska bear country they carried police riot pump guns with alternating 00-buck and slugs. Maybe that was just some kind of gov logic but if it worked on big browns should work on anything inside stated range. My concern is at what range does slug pass-thru become questionable? If your hunting the kind of timber that gets you within 50 yds of a bull wapiti, then a good blood trail (with 2 holes!) might also be advisable.

yes I think slugs would work quite well for elk, but to put things into perspective and to repeat what we all know, it's where you hit them. This season a very nice whitetail buck in my area took 9 hits with 12 guage slugs before he finally went down. Calibre counts, but you got to hit them right. Personally I would choose a 45-70 if you are anticipating close shots, though slug guns can be accurate I believe overall the rifle will do better, and should the range extend itself to 125-150 yards you will be better served by the rifle IMHO.

The guides and biologists do carry what was mentioned above, but that is not a hunting round (though not illegal.) The logic behind a shotgun pump, alternating slugs and 00 buck is that you have lots of foot/pounds of energy, lot's of lead, and it'll most likely break bones, leave a blood trail, and turn an animal quickly. This is good for close quarters combat, ie a bear attacking, but I wouldn't use it out to 50yards, exspecially on a grizzly!!! This setup is even recomended over a .44 mag, or just about any rifle, which you are more apt to sit down somewhere, while you're hands are full working.

Back