Shotgun Under 30"?

Crazy88Fingers

Hey guys, I believe this is my first venture into the shotgun sub-forum, and I have a question.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a used pump action shotgun (maybe even a cheap new one), bolting on a folding stock, and keeping it in the trunk of my car as a "just in case" long gun. The problem is, I only have about 30" of room to work with.

So, can anyone recommend a shotgun/stock combo that measures in under 30"?

I built this one with a maximum folded length requirement too.

Remington 870 Police Mag. 18.5" barrel, no muzzle device
Choate top folder, manufacture's product code #01-01-12
Total folded length, longest dimension, measured from base of pistol grip = 29"

While not the lightest, or coolest, or newest folding stock, it is very heavy steel and can take some banging around in a truck.

That's the only one I had access to, so I hope it helps.

Make sure you check your state laws on the length. I live in the state of MI and long arms must be 30" and with a legal barrel length at the same time. You can purchase them as short as 26" using a handgun permit but they still need to meet the minimum barrel length law for a long gun.

Mingheemouse, that's just what I'm looking for. I was leaning toward an 870 too, so thank you for the help!

I live in the "Gunshine State" and don't recall any laws regarding long gun length. But will definitely double check before I dive into this.

Mossberg 500

Find an old Mossberg 500a with a short barrel and extended tube. I have one that is at least 30 years old with an 18" barrel and 8 shot tube. Get a folding stock from amazon.

Back