Shotgun Suggestions! Deer/Coyote

rpseraph

Hey gents!

I am the proud owner of a 1960's era Remington 1100. It is a heirloom piece and I love it. It is great for bird hunting... but I am looking to another shotgun for deer and coyote.

- I am fine with pump or semi
- I am 6'4" 275lbs... recoil shouldn't be a major consideration
- Slug hunting for deer.
- Inter-changable choke for OO for Coyotes
- Ideally under $500.
- I have a shotgun scope, so ideally something with scope mounts or at least the ability to easily/affordably mount a scope.

Thanks!

I'm about your size and recoil IS a factor (your size has relatively little to do with handling recoil).

Why a shotgun for deer and coyote? Is that a requirement where you live? If not, a rifle might be better, but otherwise, why not go with another 1100? You already know the gun and how it handles and a new one will have choke tubes for a variety of uses.

Another 1100 is a good idea... but new ones are likely more than I want to spend at the moment. I can certainly shop around for a used but new-ish one.

Any suggestions for a good two barrel shotgun kit with choke threads?

The Coyote and Deer factor... well shooting coyote is fine with a rifle, but I can't rifle hunt deer where I am in MN... Maybe I should get an AR for the coyote and just used rifled slugs out of the 1100 :D Any excuse to get my own AR... my buddies are probably sick of me borrowing theirs, haha.

Well of course size is A factor... size DOES matter, as well as a dozen other factors that may be even bigger factors (stance, hold, load, training (practice.)) Bigger the weight, harder it is to move the weight :) I just wanted to eliminate the "shotgun X kicks a little more than shotgun Y so don't consider X"

You won't find an O/U for $500 that is worth owning; you'll be hard to find a decent semi for that price. The idea of a used 1100 might be your best bet.

I might have mis-spoke. I am not looking for a O/U, I meant a kit that comes with the extra barrel.

So I am looking for a 12 ga that comes with the extra barrel... threaded choke on one of them.

If it can't be had for under $500, something close would be ideal :D

Used 1100s seem to be in the $300 to $500 range around here, especially for those with synthetic stocks.
The increasing prices for new ones don't seem to affect used ones much.
Probably due to how many there are out and about.

Buy a rifle sighted slug barrel with the Remchoke. BNIB barrels will fit a '60's vintage M1100 with no fuss. Start at $234.99 at Midway. Comes with rifled and improved cylinder choke tubes. Slug barrel for a Remington 1100 is seasonally made only. However, that applies to Remington branded barrels. Aftermarket M1100 barrels will not be difficult to find. Or horribly expensive.
Unless, of course, you just want another shotgun. Being 6" 4" will mean you need a longer stock than normal people. Easily fixed with a recoil pad. Adds about an inch of LOP.
"...Any excuse to get my own AR..." "I want one." is a reason.

The least expensive option will be a rifled barrel for your 1100. If you can't find one or don't like the idea get a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. The rifling makes the sabot slugs the most accurate option in my slug gun. I use Hornady SST sabot slugs in mine. Effective range is near 200 yards for deer. You will have to shoot your combo to see if your rig is accurate enough at that range.

Don't some slugs have rifling on the slug itself for smoothbore non-rifled barrels?

Maybe Brenneke?

Last edited:
Like others have said, I would just get another barrel and use the 1100 you have. I've got a early 70's 1100 that I wanted screw in chokes for it and actually swapped with a guy for my fixed MOD barrel. Worked out for both of us.

Back