Shotgun Slugs

deonc

Inactive
I'm new to shot-gunning. I purchased a used 12 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster pump from a friend. I plan to use it to hunt water foul, but I'm also curious if I can run slugs through it without harming the choke. It has a modified choke. Anyone?

There's few hardnfast rules about slugs, but slugs USUALLY do better through open chokes. Modified is borderline, but the worst thing that will happen is you will not get any accuracy.You won't damage your shotgun shooting slugs through that bbl and choke.

BTW, you've bought a shotgun for the ages. If an 870 has ever worn out, it's news to me...

Also, there's tons of aftermarkets stuff out there, including slug bbls. A little research here in the archives will give you plenty of input. Enjoy...

Thank you very much for the advice! I can't see many uses for running slugs through my gun, but kind of wanted to check it out for fun, but of course, don't want to damage the gun!

You're very welcome. Anything about shotgunning, feel free. We've got some amazing folks on this BB who can answer darn near all questions about shotguns.

And the only stupid questions are those that don't get asked...

True statement. I've already bookmarked this site, lots of great stuff here. Even though I just picked up the 870, I was intrigued by the recent post regarding the H&R singles. The other day I saw a NEF (if I understand correctly, H&R bought NEF), 12 gauge single for $78 and change. I've been trying to research the gun on the web but haven't found much information about them.

Deon

I believe NEF is a new name for H&R, they've gone through many permutations in the last Century or so.

Many of us geezers started out with H&R singles, back around the time the last dinosaur toppled over(G). They were and are great utility shotguns, rugged, reliable,and inexpensive.

Downside, just one shot, and the triggers are both heavy and hard to get to to lighten.

The H&R is a good bargain, but I suggest some deep familiarization with the 870 first. One thing at a time...

Toppling dinosaurs with shotguns

...and all this time I thought the meteors were what did them in. :)

That meteor stuff is just anti-gun propaganda, Elmo. Truth is,we did it with slugs, and 00 for the velociraptors. Fast suckers, those things(G)...

Mastodons needed Brennekes, the Forster type slugs lacked penetration...

Thanks, and thank you KilgorII for your post too. Sounds like the major drawbacks to the NEF 12 gauge single is recoil and trigger pull. I don't know what is so appealing about that little gun, but I really like it. I picked it up in the store, good feel I think. Never shot one though so that of course would be the true test as to how much I actually like the gun. We'll see I guess - as long as they're still available for me to eventually buy, I can pick one up anytime. Of course, the wife doesn't understand why I want another shotgun. She hasn't bought into the "you can never have enough guns" theory yet. eheheh

Deon

Back