Shotgun Silencer?

Bella

Years ago I heard of a device that attaches to a shotgun's barrel like a choke tube. However, its longer than a regular tube and its suppose to help silence a shotgun. I guess its used for things like pigeon control in urban areas.

Is there such a thing?

not sure what you are talking about, could exsist maybe to just quiet it a little but. they do make shotgun slincers though. silencerco "Salvo 12"

There might be such a thing, but if it's designed to reduce the report at all, it would be regulated as a silencer under the NFA.

LOL

you were right...here it is. looks like a barrel extension some sort. cheap too. under 300$
http://www.metrogun.com/

odd.it says super quiet, like a car door closing. but I can't find any NFA info. just says 50state legal by atf. says like you stated, usd by city's/airports etc. for pest control

Question: Is Metro Gun legal?

Answer: Yes, the US Government agency, USDA, uses the Metro Gun System for nuisance pest-control as do several other agencies. This gun system has been cleared by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and is not considered to be a silencer.

Question: How quiet is the system?

Answer: 72 Db, or about as loud as a car door closing, or two people talking at a range of about 150 feet. (Just above the level of a silencer.)

edit: after reading, looks like its a total system to get that quiet, combining barrel/choke extension and most importantly....their own subsonic quiet ammo. could just be a giimick.......32" BARREL!!!!:eek:

the videos are very vague, but it does seem quiet, I guess you could handload your ammunition or buy subsonic and get similar results if you just bought their barrel system. I would have to find someone firsthand though before buying

Last edited:
Thanks Sizzums,

I wonder how effects ballistics and shot patterns. It looks long enough to swat birds out of the sky.

Almost like duck hunting with a bayonet...:D:D I have heard stories about these extensions, but I've never seen one...

I'm guessing the thing makes your gun swing like you're pushing it through Jell-O. Also, it has to be putting a lot of additional stress on the barrel. If you try to swing it too quickly, will it damage the muzzle? I wonder if a taped-on cardboard tube, of the same length, would have similar acoustic properties.

Is hunting ducks with a bayonet similar to going after geese with a rake? :D

it's actually an entirely new barrel(I think) its kind of confusing. I think it depends on what brand of gun your putting it on

4351366772_3c63f8da9a_z.jpg
[/url]https://flic.kr/p/7CvTK3[/IMG]

Tom Knapp had one when I saw him shoot.
It's called a metro barrel.
They are not regulated by the NFA.

So what is it? Just a normal barrel that's super long, or does it have a really gradual choke, that also works as a sort of muffler because of the smaller diameter?

And this is why it is fun to read the Firing Line! There is always new stuff to learn. Nobody knows it all, but as a group, we know a lot!

I dont think there is a choke built in. But im sure its threaded to accept one. By itself its simply an extension. It works by giving the powder enough time to completely burn off before leaving the muzzle. The opposite of a short barrel.

I see no reason for it to be regulated by the ATF. If it were then any barrel longer than what came on the gun would have to be.
Just like breacher chokes and really short PGO shotguns. This is handy for a few specific purposes. But really kinda gimicky for the most part. Just buy a proper shotgun silencer.

Back